Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    Knowsstuff wrote:
    The problem with a two state solution is the definition of it. Israel will never give up the Golan Heights, period. Jordan doesn't want Israel to give up the Golan Heights. It is literally their security blanket per se. Rockets would be that much closer to Tela Viv etc etc. Not happening.

The Golan Heights dispute is between Israel and Syria, and is not part of the West Bank or anything that is typically envisioned as being part of a proposed Palestinian state.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 1,130 Senior Member
    @JHS Let me give you an example. This happened not on a college campus, but in a research lab where I used to work. There was an invited speaker who was a college professor of geography. He presented a talk on some geography issue, which touched on economics of many regions of the world, but completely no politics. That is, until he got to Middle East and started bashing Israel as the sole reason of Palestinian sufferings. If it were a forum on politics, I would have disagreed and moved on, but in a purely academic talk it was very much out of place, and I felt very uncomfortable. Another Jewish woman in the audience got up and stomped out.

Later on, a coworker who wasn't Jewish asked me what her problem was. I explained, and he didn't argue with me, but it was obvious he didn't think it was such a big deal, and probably didn't even notice this singling out Israel during the talk.

I'm not, in fact, a fan of current Israeli politics, but this kind of thing goes on all the time, and most people don't understand what the big deal is, they think it's just a normal political criticism and Jews are being overly sensitive and just want everybody to blindly support Israel. In recent years the BLM movement and reading various accounts made me understand more about blacks feeling singled out by police and others even when no confrontation ensues - and I know many white people don't feel it's a big deal if nobody is arrested. I wish people made similar efforts with respect to Jews and Israel.
  • SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,250 Senior Member
    First of all, i love Israel. That doesn't mean that i love the current political leadership (they're awful) but I love the people and the culture and the technology scene and the architecture and the acceptance of gay culture and the science and the food. It pains me to see people speak out against those who live there without understanding the full picture.

That said, I'd recommend a larger university rather than small...and one that's not a political hotbed but just a big place where everyone can find their own tribe.
  • tpike12tpike12 Registered User Posts: 466 Member
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 18,344 Senior Member
    @TheGreyKing

1. I am Jewish. Born and raised. A synagogue member all my life.

2. I think it is a bad idea to turn this thread into a debate about Israel. It's worth talking about anti-Semitism on campus, and it's worth talking about the intersection of anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism on campus. I think we can do that civilly. But if we start arguing about the underlying merits of Zionism or its opposite, it's pretty certain to make everyone unhappy without educating anyone.

3. Almost by definition, any "two-state solution" is a Zionist solution. The point of having a two-state solution is so that one of the states can continue to be a "Jewish state" with a Jewish majority and some -- but not too much -- limitation on the civil rights of non-Jewish citizens, while the other state would not be a "Jewish state," and might even be a state that defined itself as Islamic. If Zionism means anything, it means believing that there is value and legitimacy in having a nation that defines itself as a Jewish state. Without that belief, the two-state solution is hard to justify.

Jews who don't regard themselves as Zionists mostly don't argue for a two-state solution these days. But they certainly don't support driving the Jews of Israel into the sea, either, or expropriating their property or abrogating their civil rights. At the simplest level, what they tend to support is American- or Western European-style secular democracy with strong protections for minority (and majority) civil rights.

I don't want to debate the merits of those positions, or which is less feasible practically and ethically. My point is only that there is a moral "anti-Zionism" that does not mean "expel all the Jews," or anything like that.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,633 Senior Member
    edited February 13
    JHS wrote:
    3. Almost by definition, any "two-state solution" is a Zionist solution. The point of having a two-state solution is so that one of the states can continue to be a "Jewish state" with a Jewish majority and some -- but not too much -- limitation on the civil rights of non-Jewish citizens,

Is it assumed that (either with respect to Israel or any other specific country or in general) that members of minority groups must necessarily have their civil rights limited in some way?
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,121 Forum Champion
    edited February 13
    @ucbalumnus - Indeed, no. Here is a link to the founding charter of Israel.

https://mfa.gov.il/MFA/ForeignPolicy/Peace/Guide/Pages/Declaration of Establishment of State of Israel.aspx

I draw attention to these two sections—
    1. “It will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education and culture; it will safeguard the Holy Places of all religions; and it will be faithful to the principles of the Charter of the United Nations.”

2. “WE APPEAL - in the very midst of the onslaught launched against us now for months - to the Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel to preserve peace and participate in the upbuilding of the State on the basis of full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions.”

Has it always lived up to these ideals in all respects? No, just as the United States has not always lived up to its ideals in all respects.

But the central question of this thread is not about Israel, but about the experience of students facing anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism on campus.
  • eastcoast101eastcoast101 Registered User Posts: 457 Member
    Just curious—in a 2 state solution, can Arabs remain in the Jewish state (hypothetically, within the Green line)? Now turn it around—Can Jews remain in the Arab state, if that is where they live? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

But I agree we should get back to the original point of the thread, anti-Semitism on campuses.
  • janjmomjanjmom Registered User Posts: 364 Member
    I know we are mostly discussing US colleges, but this is disturbing and relevant. https://nypost.com/2019/02/13/college-dodgeball-team-suspended-for-antisemitic-t-shirts/
  • JHSJHS Registered User Posts: 18,344 Senior Member
    That story is disturbing. Somewhat mitigating my disturbance, however, is the fact that it involves . . . a dodgeball team? I'm guessing that the members of the dodgeball club were probably pretty marginal from the get-go (although probably what happened is that a group of anti-Semitic skinheads formed a dodgeball club in order to get an allocation of student activities funds).

Meanwhile, this morning my local paper had a more lighthearted story that intersects both with this thread and the thread started by a mother about her son's poor results on Tinder. It was about a new dating site started by a couple of women: Red Yenta. Red Yenta is where committed leftists can look for love without political compromise. Not terribly surprising: the founders and many of the users are Jewish. One user incorporated the following slogan into her profile: "You can't spell BDSM without BDS!" No, you can't.
  • 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    Great perspective from Vassar student Abigail Johnson. In her piece, she demonstrates maturity, resilience, optimism, leadership and is a great writer to boot. Of course, this was written four years ago - in 2016. We all know things have devolved since then.