right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• hophop 969 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 971 Member
    Free speech a slippery slope.
    Here's how free speech (including the public wearing of a kippa) is manifesting in Germany these days.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/26/jews-in-germany-warned-of-risks-of-wearing-kippah-cap-in-public

But I agree - the response to ugly speech should be more speech.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2045 replies98 discussionsForum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,143 Forum Champion
    edited May 26
    From today’s New York Times:

(It may be that I am in a rural area right now, but this link is inconsistently linking to today’s editorial on anti-Semitism. If you try it and it just sends you to the Times cover page, scroll until the editorial or go to the opinions page.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/opinion/antisemitism-europe-germany.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
    edited May 26
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 45 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    I'm 100% as Jewish as it gets and I can tell you there's a massive difference between actual anti-semitism, innocent ignorance and whining about nothing. Actual anti-semitism isn't overly common, but when it happens it has to be swiftly dealt with. There was something insane going on at Rutgers some years back and I did my part with Letters to the Editor in two major newspapers. The event was cancelled.
    Being a Jew myself and a keen student of all of this on many levels sometimes (maybe most of the time) the biggest culprit are liberal Jews. In a few different ways they promote anti-semitism and it saddens me when they're the face of American Judaism. It's pretty terrible at times and I do what I can; which sometimes means publicly (figuratively) eviscerating them when appropriate.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3735 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,801 Senior Member
    OneMoreKid wrote:
    there's a massive difference between actual anti-semitism, innocent ignorance and whining about nothing
    Can you give examples of what you mean by each of these?
    OneMoreKid wrote:
    the biggest culprit are liberal Jews. In a few different ways they promote anti-semitism and it saddens me when they're the face of American Judaism.
    Define "liberal Jews," please. And can you be specific about what you mean by "they promote anti-semitism"?
    · Reply · Share
  • RandyErikaRandyErika 474 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 479 Member
    @brantly thank you for posing those questions more politely than I probably would have. I guess we’re still waiting for the follow up, unless one of those who agreed with the comments would like to share their insights.
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 45 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 52 Junior Member
    edited May 28
    Sure - An actual terrorist organization holding a conference at Rutgers (with some wicked anti-Jewish activity), my Marine Corps OCS bunkmate's mother-in-law (who was otherwise very very nice) from the backwoods of Georgia thinking that we all live in Miami and, well, whining about nothing.
    Point #2 - The literally insane and very loud anti-American political views of some make it look like we're all like that and that's extremely far from the truth. Like, for example, it seems like the leaders of various gun control organizations and efforts are often Jewish which if anyone should support especially this part of the US Constitution it should be Jews (and is in many cases). In fact the number one, in my humble opinion, organization in support of the number one civil right of many is www.jpfo.org .
    It is what it is and I think one of my primary duties as a Jew is to call this stuff out.
    When there's real anti-semitism I'm the guy you want in your corner. Otherwise, you may not like me. It's all good. I'm very much used to it.
    edited May 28
    · Reply · Share
    OMG - And I love to pieces when fellow Jews are part of the BDS movement. In fact the new "Rabbi" down the street at the synagogue we used to belong to is all-in with that. You can look her name up and she's all over it. We went to a Bar Mitzvah there recently along with the Friday night service the day before and she went off on an absolutely relentless 45 minute tirade the likes of which I never thought possible. I won't go into details because you'll think I'm hysterical, but it would boggle the mind of anyone with one that functions.
    · Reply · Share
    You make good points that seem rational, but it's clearly a mental health issue. No one disagrees that pennies on the dollar of health care dollars go to health care and the reason is... politics. So, naturally, we seek quick fixes where we medicate away one behavior which, at times, manifests itself in another sometimes more dangerous one. We can't fix the real problem if we're constantly distracted by the one that addressing makes it look like we're doing something when we're really not.
    As far as anti-semitism goes - it's very much not a natural human phenomena to be anti-semitic, racist or hateful. It's almost always a tool or strategy to some end founded on division or some other agenda. The culprits are usually radical political activists and not normal people like you, I or almost anyone else that you've ever come in contact with.
    But, you're right and when it rears its ugly head there's only one way to address it and that one way usually works. Very rare when it's actual honest to goodness pure racism of some sort or another, but it does happen.
    Just follow our Founding Documents in their entirety (especially the part where everyone is equal and doesn't need to be made that way) and many of these problems will greatly diminish; if not nearly entirely go away.
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2058 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,095 Senior Member
    edited May 29
    When I first immigrated to USA from an Asian country being able to speak only “I don’t understand English”, I never understood why some white kids didn’t like Jews. Of course, I also was called racist names often just for existing, but I looked different from whites and blacks. First, Jesus was a Jew, and second, they seemed like good students. I just put it down to jealousy, and I still feel the same way even after I became better at distinguishing Jews from non-Jews.
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
  • RandyErikaRandyErika 474 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 479 Member
    @websensation Don’t take this the wrong way, but why is it important to be able to distinguish between Jews and non-Jews?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2045 replies98 discussionsForum Champion Williams College Posts: 2,143 Forum Champion
    ^I think @websensation was being supportive and friendly. He was new to the country and learning about prejudices that exist in the U.S.... but clearly not sharing those prejudices!
    · Reply · Share
  • LynnskiLynnski 245 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    I agree with this interpretation ^^ of friendly comments about learning to read cues in an unfamiliar cultural context.

I also feel that distingishing between Jews and non-Jews is just fine. Difference itself is not a problem—quite the contrary. It's assigning/assuming/imputing negative characteristics that is problematic.

Similarly, many white folks are finally learning that the claim "I don't even see color!" is not an anti-racist stance. It's rooted in the privilege of *not* having to notice and be afraid that you'll be attacked because of your differences.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 29
    With all due respect, attributing traits perceived as positive to an entire group (good students, hard working, good athletes, etc.) is just as bad as attributing negative traits based on race, religion, gender, or whatever. They both propagate stereotypes and enable discriminatory thinking (in this case antisemitic).

I wanted to make sure it’s clear that I’m not suggesting anyone here is antisemitic.
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
    Has anyone ever listened to the song “Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist,” from the show “Avenue Q?” It is a fun song that, in a playful way, makes some points that pertain to the recent part of this conversation.
    · Reply · Share
  • websensationwebsensation 2058 replies37 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,095 Senior Member
    edited May 29
    Not important. Just getting acclimated to American culture. I stand by my previous statements that most Jewish students at my high school were good students. Doesn’t mean I thought all Jewish students were good students. You are reading into things way too much. I was describing how I became acclimated to the American culture at that time. People were definitely racist against Jews then but not as openly as against Asians. More subtly then. As it is now against Asians.
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
    If it helps at all I once knew of someone named Mae Ling Schwartz. True story.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3735 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,801 Senior Member
    @websensation I understood what you meant. It's not unusual, if you live in an area with a significant Jewish population, to be able to know—without being told—who is Jewish. I know I read as Jewish immediately (at least to anyone who has been around American Jews). It's not anti-semitic.
    · Reply · Share