Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

123457»

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• blossomblossom 9834 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Web- hugs. I get your point.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4248 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not antisemitic at all..... Not sure how it could be taken that way at all but we all have our opinions.

So I asked my son if he experienced any antisemitism at Michigan. Thought he would just say no. He said,, "not directly".

He was talking about what was going on, on campus with the BDS and Richard Spencer. He is not part of Hillel (even with us pushing and telling him they have a basketball team.. Lol). He and my daughter (Beloit - everyone gets along there just fine), had classes in 8th grade on how to handle this and other issues. They went to a Jewish Day school and then regular high school.

They have both been to Israel twice and my son is going from his engineering study abroad in France to a engineering internship in Israel this summer.

My daughter doesn't want to do birthright since the issues with students going over the border. She doesn't disagree with their actions. She does understand both sides. She spent 8/12 months in southeast Asia especially Indonesia and is going back this summer on a grant and does see the world from the Muslim interpretation. I find it interesting hearing all sides. The people couldn't be nicer. They like Jewish people just not Israel policy.

She doesn't see the world that Israel is 100% correct. I think the younger generation sees what many groups are trying to make Israel the villian.
    Many groups like Black lives matter and LGBT groups (some), seem to be siding with what they think is the minority and the side being treated unfairly.
    I think that Israel and American Jews need to take another look on how to handle this and really educated the public.

I personally would love to see Palestinians that are educated, maybe college level come to Israel as a sorta birthright type of trip. Maybe with Israeli students. Seeing all the sites and what Israel is really about. Funded by Israel.

Changing people perceptions of what they have been taught is my idea. It's hard to teach the reality of Israel when they learn in elementary school that Israel is bad and killing Jews is OK. No wonder they have such strong opinions.

Also Israel has attempted to work with them to build something like Techinion for them and they refused. There can be a Palestinian tech hub to generate companies etc but they won't do it. Funny that you don't see other Arab countries offering to help either... Hmmmm.

I also wish that maybe the Hillels would reach out to the Iranian backed BDS on campuses and enter into dialogue. But that is kinda hard when the BDS is interrupting high holy holidays with marches.... Like who gains from this?

· Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18410 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Don't hold your breath for a dialogue between Hillel and any groups backing BDS. The national organization will sue any college chapter that tries.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/11/23/how-the-israel-lobby-captured-hillel-international-college-campus/
    · Reply · Share
    You hit on so many important points. If the Arab world wanted the Palestinian areas to be rebuilt it would of been by now. Israel has attempted and tried several times but for the land and technology to be destroyed.

I don't really know what the answer is on campuses but enforcing laws. When more students are expelled etc then maybe things will change.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3942 replies69 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    ^^BINGO!
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1511 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    This is inaccurate. The only lines and political demarcation of the 1970s and 1980s no longer exist in the Middle East. There is no unity in the Arab world, which is torn along ethnic and religious lines. Most of Israel's old enemies are torn by civil war, or have peace treaties with Israel. Well, except Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, who have no interest is military conflict with Israel. Iran (not Arab) likes having Israel around as a convenient distraction for the people. They have no real interest in helping Sunnis in their conflicts, and any conflict with Israel will only help Sunnis.

Israel at the moment is not under any real existential threat, and has not been at least since the "Arab Spring", and the collapse of the political systems in most Arab countries. Only Israel's borders with Syria and Lebanon are borders with hostile countries, since Israel is not at war with either Egypt or Jordan, That is maybe 1/4 of Israel's borders, and Syria is in a civil war, while the Hezbollah in Lebanon are focused on propping up Assad.

In reality, most Arab countries would like the Palestinian issue to go away. Most Arab countries have no more interest in armed conflict with Israel, and thus the Palestinians are no longer needed as a convenient excuse for the conflict. That is why Hamas keeps on escalating the conflict - they know that they are not really relevant, and want to create a conflict with many Palestinian casualties, to drag the Arab countries back into conflict with Israel. On the other hand, Bibi escalates the conflict because he is under many corruption investigations, and if he loses a majority, the Knesset can vote to remove his immunity (all members of the Knesset have immunity from legal procedures).

The Fatah, on the other hand, are interested in getting what they want politically, though, like many Israelis, many members of Fatah cannot simply accept that conflict is not a viable way to achieve their goals.

In any case, it seems that Israel is once again going to elections, since Bibi was unable to put together a coalition. We shall see where that goes.

PS. As a reminder of how things have changed, most negotiations between Israel and Hamas are done through the Egyptians. Yes, Egypt is considered, by Israel, to be a neutral party in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
    · Reply · Share
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama 2779 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MWolf Your analysis is helpful. What did you think of the Italian journalist interview of Yayhe Sanwar? Is it meaningful in any way and does it indicate that Hamas is getting more reasonable? Also what about the role of the UN in keeping the conflict going? It seems there is welfare offered for years to Gazans, so its never going to turn around. It seems that the 2 million Gazans are in much better shape compared to 28 million Yemeni, as far as human condition, although that may be an unfair comparison. However, Gaza may continue to get more crowded, and the lack of movement means that many Gazans are radicalized from birth so its still a brewing tinderbox for israel to deal with, and with no contact with the West Bank for years, I don't see how there can be a state combining the West Bank with Gaza. It seems Sanwar and the PA leader are not on the same page. Hamas and the PA are not together on forming a nation so it will never happen.
    Could Netanyahu have handed power over before an election given that he could not form a goverment? Should he have done that?
    · Reply · Share
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama 2779 replies32 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't see why Americans lump Palestinians together. I would look at it as Gaza, is one problem, and the West Bank
    an entirely different problem with a different solution. Its odd that young college students are participating in a boycott and divest strategy when the two Palestinian leaders are not even together on what their hopes dreams and aspirations are for a Palestinian nation. . Why would Americans support Gaza, or is it the West Bank? Thats really naive. Maybe we all need birthright to learn the facts. Its always a little troubling
    that Israel has some history of not being a full democracy for anyone does have some racist attitudes about non Jews. If any American could go there, the situation would be much more clear but since only Jewish students are given a plane ticket, then, the confusion continues. If we all got the Muslim, Jewish and Christian tour of Israel, we might all have triple vision.
    As far as why Gaza is the way it is, Egypt contributed to that. They shut their border down too over time. The history is complicated, and thus the American BDS movement needs to be educated about Middle Eastern history. There are books, don't college kids read books anymore?

What about the Palestinians in Chile? How about funding more Gazans to move there? It is too crowded in Gaza, how about birth control? There are lots of ways to better a situation. Thinking out of the box used to be what college students did. Now they seem to sit dumb and unhappy, screaming about issues they know nothing about.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78265 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Could Netanyahu have handed power over before an election given that he could not form a goverment? Should he have done that?

Netanyahu / Likud did not want to give the rival Blue and White party a chance to build a coalition. Also, Likud's attempt to build a right wing coalition of 65 out of 120 seats failed because of conflicts between secular right wing party Yisrael Beiteinu (5 seats) and the religious parties (16 seats) over the former wanting to change the military conscription law. Blue and White, which is a little to the left of Likud, would probably have an even harder time building a coalition of at least 61 seats, since a left wing coalition could have only up to 55 seats, and it seems even more unlikely to get both left and right wing parties to play together.
    · Reply · Share
    @Coloradomama. There are many delegations of Christians that actually do go to Israel yearly. They are becoming big supporters of Israel.

But what is the solution for campuses? To me its education but it just seems one side just wants to make noise for attention sake.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3942 replies69 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If any American could go there, the situation would be much more clear but since only Jewish students are given a plane ticket, then, the confusion continues. If we all got the Muslim, Jewish and Christian tour of Israel, we might all have triple vision.
    Any American can go to Israel. If you are asking why you have to be Jewish to go on a Birthright tour, that's because the mission of the organization is to encourage young Jews to become more involved and more in touch with their Jewish identity and roots. From the website:
    Birthright Israel aims to ensure a vibrant future of the Jewish people by strengthening Jewish identity, Jewish communities and connections with Israel.

Birthright Israel began with a bold idea — offer the gift of a life-changing trip to Israel to young Jewish adults between the ages of 18 and 26 — and in doing so, transform the Jewish future. Founded in 1999 by a remarkable group of committed Jewish philanthropists, Birthright Israel Foundation has given this gift to 700,000 young Jewish adults.

I know there are Christian trips sponsored by churches and other Christian groups. I don't know if Muslin groups sponsor trips, but they could. And there most certainly are groups that sponsor mixed-group trips with the aim of peace and understanding. Sees of Peace is one of them. https://www.seedsofpeace.org/
    · Reply · Share