right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
The purpose of this thread is to spend some time discussing the experience of Jewish students on college campuses with anti-Semitism, including in its form as anti-Zionism.

Before engaging in this thread, it is important to clarify that, in this thread, anti-Zionism does NOT refer to disagreement with any one particular Israeli policy or some of the beliefs of its current leadership. One can criticize Israel or Netanyahu without being an anti-Zionist, just as one can criticize America or Trump without being anti-American. Anti-Zionism refers to the idea of eliminating altogether the state of Israel, the world's only state with a Jewish majority.

For those who will insist that anti-Zionism and anti-Semitism are not the same: to explain how they may be experienced as interrelated by Jewish students on campus, I would like to introduce two recent New York Times opinion pieces that speak eloquently to this relationship:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/29/opinion/antisemitism-europe-jews.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/opinion/sunday/israel-progressive-anti-semitism.html

Anti-Semitism is growing on college campuses, and these experiences have taken place at enough colleges that it cannot be said to be unique to certain college communities. Jewish students I know have sat in classes and/or read class-related blog posts in which fellow students have spoken of how Jews secretly control the United States and direct its policies in regard to Israel from the shadows, and that Jews seek worldwide dominance. These are age-old anti-Semitic tropes. They have also heard fellow classmates proclaim that "the Jews" control finance, the government, and the media. The BDS movement is common on campuses, singling out Israel alone among the world’s nations for boycotting. And observe the following:

2018: The AMCHA Initiative, whose goal is to combat anti-Semitism at colleges, documents 77 swastika incidents on college campuses in 2018 alone.
2018: A "Disorientation Guide" distributed by some Vassar students suggests such action steps as "slap a Zionist.”
2018: Two University of Michigan professors refuse to write letters of recommendation for students to study in Israel, with their stated reason being “an academic boycott against Israel.”
2018: A Columbia professor tweets that Israel is responsible for “every dirty treacherous ugly and pernicious act happening in the world.”
2016: A speaker at Vassar and a professor at Rutgers revives the medieval blood libel against Jews, claiming that Israeli Jews kill Palestinians to use their organs.
2016: An Oberlin professor is finally dismissed after many anti-Semitic statements, including claiming without evidence that Israel secretly controls ISIS and was behind the Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris and after posting an image on social media of a Jew, Jacob Rothschild, stating, “We own your news, the media, your oil, and your government.”
2015: At UCLA, the Undergraduate Student Association Council questions a student’s nomination to the council’s Judicial Board, because “given that [she is] a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community,” she would be unable to be “unbiased.”
2014: Students at Vassar picket a class because it involves a trip to Israel.
2013: At Oberlin, the Kosher-Halal Coop is kicked out of the Oberlin Student Cooperative Association, swastikas appear in dorms, Students for a Free Palestine interrupt a meeting of Hillel, and students object to a Shabbat dinner at Hillel featuring typical Israeli food as “cultural appropriation” of other middle-easterners’ food.

If you are a student, an alumnus/a, a professor, or a parent of a student who has experienced or witnessed anti-Semitism on their college campus, this thread is intended as a location to vent about the experience... and also to share any hope with stories of how you, your child, or your child's peers and/or college worked to counter anti-Semitism on campus.
133 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Anti-Semitism on College Campuses

• Le ProfessionnelLe Professionnel 32 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited February 10
    If the statistics checks out, this is a very sad and alarming development.
    edited February 10
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78259 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Doesn't it look like:

* Some on the left hate Israel based on the simplistic view that the Israel is the oppressor = total evil, and it can bleed into anti Jewish stuff, even if they otherwise are not hostile to Jewish people in domestic contexts.

* Some on the right dislike Jewish people in domestic contexts, but support Israel in international contexts as someone fighting against Muslims and Arabs whom they hate more (= terrorists in their view).

?
    · Reply · Share
  • tpike12tpike12 502 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    I have never supported a BDS movement and I never will. I support Israel and their right to self-determination. However, I do support any American that wants to peacefully protest against anyone or any country, including Israel.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4245 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The thing that bugs me is when the bds wants to ban Israel and to have people not buy their products. OK then.. If you support this then they would need to stop using their wireless phone, any computer with an Intel chip, anything made by Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Amd etc etc. Since just about every main technology company does their RD at Technion is Israel.

Israel wanted to partner with the Palestinians to do the same in Gaza and they were going to pay for it but it was rejected....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Israeli_inventions_and_discoveries this is an old list but.....
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    edited February 11
    A student I know heard the EXACT same comment that Ilhan Omar just apologized for, in a college class this past fall. (Seriously, the same words, minus the expression “Benjamins”!)

I think it takes courage for a student of any minority group to speak out when a prejudicial comment or stereotype is made about a group they belong to, especially as a lone voice speaking up.
    edited February 11
    · Reply · Share
  • tpike12tpike12 502 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    Yes, Ilhan Omar is ignorant. AIPAC cannot legally make donations, though it is their purpose to advocate for what is best for Israel and part of that includes connecting politicians with wealthy pro-Israeli donors.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2542 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited February 11
    WashU supposedly has a high percentage of Jewish students. Active Chabad/Hillel as well.
    edited February 11
    · Reply · Share
  • ScooterDeeScooterDee 32 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I was not aware of the incidents you mention so thank you for this thread. Would you all consider some of these schools (Vassar, Oberlin...) unsafe or uncomfortable enough to recommend that Jewish applicants avoid them?
    · Reply · Share
  • 3SailAway3SailAway 428 replies6 threadsRegistered User Member
    I had not heard about the incidents at Vassar. It would be upsetting anywhere, but Vassar was D19’s second choice, and D21 loves it also.

I did find this article by a current Jewish student which talks about what the Vassar community has done to confront anti-Semitism, promote a welcoming atmosphere for Jewish and/or pro-Israel students, and encourage respectful dialogue on all aspects of Israel: http://miscellanynews.org/2018/11/07/opinions/vassars-concern-for-jewish-students-deserves-praise/
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2153 replies101 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    edited February 13
    Vassar is one of the two colleges I know best, so I may have highlighted more incidents from them because I knew of more of them!

But, as it happens, many of the Vassar students I have known personally, including two of my relatives- an ancient grad and a more recent grad, and two students from my son’s high school who went there recently, have been Jewish. (Vassar has more Jews than some of its LAC peers.)

The students I know have been happy and comfortable there.

And when I toured in 2016, our tour guide was the head of a Jewish organization on campus. He sounded very happy at Vassar. After the tour, I asked him privately about his experience there as a Jew, and he said that part of the reason he became a tour guide was to help dispel the image some people had, after a Wall Stree Journal piece, of Vassar as a bad place for Jews. He was having a great college experience and wanted the world to know it!

I think the change of president since then has helped, too. It helps to have someone at the top willing to confront prejudice in all forms and against any group.

The more liberal colleges may have more anti-Israel protests, but they also are probably a much more welcoming atmospheres for Jews, and have higher numbers of Jews, than many other colleges across the country.
    edited February 13
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 655 replies9 threadsRegistered User Member
    My nephews friend is a student at Towson. He was out at night with a couple friends on campus, returning to their dorm - they belong to a Jewish frat. A group of guys started yelling slurs at them and then confronted them physically. This friend was beat up pretty good and needed medical attention. His parents were so frightened and angry. This happened I guess about two years ago. I know this school has had more recent issues. Just so disheartening and infuriating.
    · Reply · Share
    @Leigh22 , That is really, really scary.
    · Reply · Share
  • JHSJHS 18410 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think we ought to acknowledge that, especially at traditional elite LACs like Vassar and Oberlin where lots of Jews attend, Jewish students are responsible for a great deal of the ferment that gets labeled as antisemitic by the organizations that like to conflate criticism of Israel with antisemitism. College-age Jews who are not from Orthodox communities are far from unified in support for the current Israeli government and its policies, and even in support for Zionism as a concept. That's not the same thing at all as Leigh22's story about Towson (which I hadn't heard about, and sounds horrific).
    · Reply · Share