Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Does your kid's high school require AP exams?

Replies to: Does your kid's high school require AP exams?

• oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    My kids' school did not require AP exams, but if they didn't the exam they would need to take the final. AP score did not count toward the grade, but the final did. It was an easy decision for most kids.
  • kiddiekiddie Registered User Posts: 3,299 Senior Member
    Public school here. Same as oldfort - either the exam or a school created final that was part of the grade (this after a school created huge project for most APs). They started this policy, after their best seniors started not taking the exams. Why take an exam at the end of senior year when the Ivy you are going to won't give you credit for it? Of course the motive is to keep the school AP stats high.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    You don’t have to take them at our school. First test is free, every one after is $80.
  • Momof3BMomof3B Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Nope, at our school the AP exam is not required but highly encouraged.
  • bhs1978bhs1978 Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    Yes, it’s required and I agree with @bjkmom

If a student wants to pad there transcript with AP classes they should be willing to take the exam.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 290 Junior Member
    I don’t see it as “padding” their transcript. Theyre taking the most challenging courses possible with AP and have to do well in that course regardless of taking the exam. Sure, it’s great for the student to take it and pass to gain college credit, but I’m sure the colleges are fine if they don’t take the tests and have to pay for those credits.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,868 Senior Member
    No, not all colleges are fine with it. Some view not taking the test as academic dishonesty, by misrepresenting your academic courseloads. Either you fulfill the requirements of the AP course, as set forth by the college board, or you don't. And the college board is a non profit, so it really isn't about getting rich on fees. You, and they, would want to know if the kids at the school were getting 1 and 2 on the test-it means the course really isn't the AP it was meant to be.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 5,553 Senior Member
    At my daughters' public high school, you could skip the final exam in the class if you took the AP exam. Otherwise, you had to take it. Each exam was around $100.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,601 Senior Member
    Is taking the AP exam part of AP course requirements? You do not need to AP courses to take exams. D1 took a few without taking the course and received 4-5.
  • techmom99techmom99 Registered User Posts: 3,238 Senior Member
    My SD does require kids to take the AP exam if they take the class. This is fully disclosed up front before you register for the class. I believe that there is cost subsidization available if you qualify for free or reduced lunch, but I have not explored this formally. Six years ago, I paid close to $700 for the exams my middle son was taking. I am not sure what happens if you don't take the exam. My SD also heavily discourages self-study for the tests and I have never heard of a single student here taking an exam without taking the class.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,202 Senior Member
    No, DD's catholic high school did not require the AP test but, like @oldfort, if a student didn't take the AP, they had to take a final exam. AP test didn't count towards the grade, but the final did. The vast majority of students took the AP test.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 40,237 Super Moderator
    No, not all colleges are fine with it. Some view not taking the test as academic dishonesty, by misrepresenting your academic courseloads.
    I am not aware of a single college that equates not taking the exam with academic dishonesty, but I will be very happy (and shocked) to be proven wrong.

To answer the OP, no, my HS did not require AP exams, and since courses are not weighted, it's not like the school could retroactively change the transcript to remove the AP designation. At the teacher's discretion, those taking AP exams are exempt from the final.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 1,868 Senior Member
    Princeton, for one, Suzy. If you didn't want to take the exam, don't take the course. Otherwise why don't we simply call all courses AP and give everyone a grade bump-the deficiencies won't show up on the untaken exams anyway. Actually, I know of one urban school that does that.
  • MjkacmomMjkacmom Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    Yes, and they have to pay for the exams in September or get removed from the class. My current senior took 11 in all. This just started this year, in the past they chose to take the exams or not. Plus, they still need to take finals in June.