Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Did your kid get tax residency at their OOS school? If so when and how?


Replies to: Did your kid get tax residency at their OOS school? If so when and how?

  • colfac92colfac92 Registered User Posts: 332 Member
    If you spend 183 or more days (more than half a year) in one state, then by simple math you have spent less than half a year in all other states, so probably the only way you could be considered "resident" for state tax purposes in more than one state is if the other state (the one you spent less than half the year) is the state of your domicile. Any other states in which you spent any time (or, rather, earned any income), you would most likely be considered a non-resident for state tax purposes.

    I will also note that at least one state I know of has an exception for students domiciled elsewhere -- even if they are in the state for 183 days or more, they are not considered residents (for state tax purposes).
Sign In or Register to comment.