Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Engineering Schools/Program for my B student

Replies to: Engineering Schools/Program for my B student

• hophop Registered User Posts: 899 Member
    Check out both ASU, which has solid engineering and U Arizona, which has the dedicated SALT program
    to assist with any learning differences.
  • Gator88NEGator88NE Registered User Posts: 6,474 Senior Member
    edited March 6
    On Purdue's acceptance rate...

You can use the ASEE online profile, and it will list engineering acceptance rate data, if it's available.

http://profiles.asee.org/profiles/8118/screen/19?school_name=Purdue+University

In Purdue's case, they had 18,901 applicants, and accepted 9,773 (52% acceptance rate).

The online profile provides a lot of info. Perhaps the most useful is a quick overview of which engineering programs/majors are offered.
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 Registered User Posts: 4,585 Senior Member
    Note about Purdue - the average ACT score for the college of engineering was a 33 last cycle and a 3.94 GPA (per Purdue's engineering website). Scores keep going up and acceptance rates keep trending down. It would be a reach school.
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 842 Member
    As @HPuck35 mentioned, an Engineering Technology program may be something to consider, particularly if your son prefers (or is likely to do better in) a more hands-on, less math/science-intense program.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,914 Senior Member
    I was also going to suggest ASU. University of Maine might also be worth a look. Much smaller and more personal. And definitely not CA!
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,813 Forum Champion
    1) For engineering you want an ABET accredited engineering program
    2) Engineering is very math intensive. Has he/will he take Calculus before college?
    3) If you want to be an engineer, it is is very recommended to get internships/coops when you are in college. Some of these may require a minimum GPA, eg. 3.0. Will your son be able to do that?
    4) I would look at my all of my state schools for options first...if i lived in CaliforniaI would be quite happy with all the choices! I think it would be risky to go out of state to a full pay school when I had options in CA.
    5) I agree that perhaps he should consider starting at a CCC to see how the calculus goes.
  • Mom24boysMom24boys Registered User Posts: 926 Member
    My nephew is a sophomore at Purdue as an engineering tech major. He choose this over other schools were he was accepted into the engineering school. He got great internship after his freshman year. He is very happy and much less stressed then my son who was a CE/EE major at another school. Engineering is a very hard major, my son says it's not so much that engineers are smart (I disagree) but too stubborn to fail.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,621 Senior Member
    Regarding Purdue, it admits engineering students to First Year Engineering. Students then have to apply to their majors based on college GPA. A student who has a slow start in college (lower college GPA) may be "weeded out" or be limited to the least popular majors.
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Academics/FirstYear/T2M
    https://engineering.purdue.edu/Engr/InfoFor/CurrentStudents/enrollment-policy
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,621 Senior Member
  • RightCoasterRightCoaster Registered User Posts: 2,771 Senior Member
    Clarkson may be a good match. Embry Riddle and maybe Rose Hulman.

I think those 3 schools are trying to help keep the kids in engineering vs weeding them out. WPI has the same approach too, but it’s more competitive to get in and the merit is not so great for men without stellar stats.
  • taverngirltaverngirl Registered User Posts: 633 Member
    edited March 6
    My son is in a similar position with regards to gpa, test scores and ADHD. RIT and UConn I know have excellent support for ADHD kids, but UConn would be a reach for your son. Not sure about RIT. URoch is definitely a reach.

Here is a website that gives admission stats on engineering students: http://profiles.asee.org/ Put in the name of the school and then click on new applicants in the left hand column. Not all schools have gpa and SAT/ACT scores but many do.

Some schools my son has looked at/is considering (for civil engineering): Catholic, Clarkson, UMaine (very impressed with the program/facilities), UHartford (better than we expected and know some grads of the program), Manhattan (loved), University of New Hampshire (great campus vibe, very much liked the professors we met), University of New Haven (didn't like the campus, but strong for engineering), Wentworth (didn't like being in Boston but strong for engineering), Western New England.

• MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,513 Senior Member
    Our list is very similar to @taverngirl and although S19 does have high stats, executive issues would likely prevent him from being successful at a super large or highly competitive college. We are in the northeast so my list is of course based on that. Going from the above post (and I'll add my commentary:). We also have access to a employee tuition benefit so many of the schools were considered because of this.

Catholic - never visited, started the app, then changed our minds. Better options closer to home was our opinion
    Clarkson - visited and applied; attending an honors day soon; among son's favorite
    University of Maine - I'm a seasonal resident but no instate tuition...
    University of Hartford - I really dislike that campus!
    Manhattan -- walked the campus and its somewhat separated; not a NYC feel; new engineering building going up
    University of New Hampshire -- not on our list as it would cost more than other options being out of state
    University of New Haven - visit and applied; don't love the campus either; will likely not attend; received exchange
    Wentworth Institute of Technology - my favorite but not sure son will adapt well to city life; applied and waiting on exchange
    Western New England - though about it for a new york minute then decided not to apply

Others:
    Norwich University - strong engineering, nice structure, received exchange; among son's favorite
    Quinnipiac University -- new ABET engineering, beautiful campus, very expensive, received exchange; son loves this campus

We have a couple of UMass campuses in the mix as well as waiting on regular decisions at some more competitive admission places like Bucknell, Lafayette, Villanova, and GWU. An ACT of at least 32 would likely be required for these.
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 843 Member
    edited March 6
    Honestly, most of these are reachier if you're talking a 3.2 GPA unless the STEM GPA is extra strong and/or maybe you have a good story in the essay about it. URochester has gotten extremely competitive. You may want to find some safer schools with lower GPA and test scores. Search around for directional state schools with engineering programs in locations he finds interesting for example. Somewhere like Wentworth might be alright. Just make sure you have some true safeties in the mix. More schools are weighting GPA heavier over test score without extenuating circumstances.

I also think it's fair to say his options are different and possibly more limited because his academics aren't as strong. That's just the way it rolls. I have a 2nd kid who may not have the options of the first.

Most engineering programs will have higher stats and lower acceptance rates than the rest of the school. Like the average ACT scores at the U of MN are like 26-31. But the college of science and engineering average scores are 31-34. Honors program science and engineering are 34+. Not all schools have that type of data accessible with acceptance rates, but it's probably a good general assumption for those programs.
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,318 Senior Member
    University of the Pacific might be perfect.
  • Twoin18Twoin18 Registered User Posts: 1,104 Senior Member
    University of Utah is a good OOS option for Californians that is very affordable (you can get residency after the first year, then the COA is about $25K per year). Great facilities, Pac-12 sports and amazing skiing and outdoor activities. SLC is a very nice city, with convenient travel from CA.