Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Engineering Schools/Program for my B student

124»

Replies to: Engineering Schools/Program for my B student

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,452 Senior Member
    But note that relatively few students interested in 3+2 or similar programs actually transfer to complete the engineering degree. Besides cost of an extra year, note that transfer admission to the engineering school may be competitive, and financial aid there is not known at the time of frosh enrollment at the initial LAC.
  • MAandMEmomMAandMEmom Registered User Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    We never considered any of the 3+2 programs. Just feels like an even more unsure thing on top of potentially being weeded out early.
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 Registered User Posts: 2,089 Senior Member
    For a student who either may be unsure or has lower stats, I believe the 3+2 offer an alternative. If the student's grades do not improve or cannot keep up with the pace, it gives them extra time and depending upon the school, an easier change to transfer majors.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Registered User Posts: 16,598 Senior Member
    I am totally convinced that finishing an engineering degree is entirely dependent on the drive and determination of the student. I agree that for some kids it will take an extra semester or year for which the costs have to be weighed but if a kid is single minded they can finish successfully. Fit is going to be important because an average good high school student will be blown away by the caliber of student in a large uni setting that is competitive. I would also be wary of programs with heavy concentrations of foreign TAs and profs as a language barrier can be a big hurdle for a student. I like Utah, Montana State, Michigan Tech and a few others as well as some of the small privates that have added engineering although I would look hard at the career outcomes for those graduates of those privates.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,905 Senior Member
    what kind of college experience is he looking for?
  • LonghaulLonghaul Registered User Posts: 2,652 Senior Member
    OP, I know you are being given realistic expectations here, but some advice may be interpreted as too pessimistic.

My ADHD son found a lot of support at Bama.

We specifically chose Bama because they direct admit to Engineering. The support services were great. He graduated in 8 academic semesters spread over 5 years because he did a co-op.

He went in with AP and dual credits, which helped. He took 15 to 17 credits a semester.

So, while it may be difficult, plenty of kids are getting Engineering degrees with lower scores and learning disabilities.
  • deb922deb922 Registered User Posts: 5,496 Senior Member
    edited March 12
    I just saw this post. My S had similar stats out of high school. He went to a engineering heavy school and did really well. He’s out of school now and has a great job, with a great life.

There are engineering schools that are better for the kid who maybe needs a more nurturing environment. Some engineering programs are dog eat dog (Purdue comes to mind) and others will have more programs for those kids needing a bit more support.

I haven’t read through all the posts, but will he have calculus and physics in high school? Having a firm foundation in math and science is super helpful in succeeding in college. A good work ethic is paramount. I personally think that any kid can have success with both of these attributes.

I’m not familiar with west coast schools so I don’t have much to add to that. But some suggestions would be New Mexico Tech, Missouri S&T, South Dakota school of mines, Stevens Institute (May have more of a Jewish community based on its location), Rose-Hulman

All of these schools are very well known in the engineering community and employers will recruit and hire.
  • havenoideahavenoidea Registered User Posts: 214 Junior Member
    Another plug for New Mexico Tech. Small school, great tutoring resources. I remember reading an article about a woman who graduated from there with some kind of scholarship. When she started, math was her worst subject, but with the tutoring/individualized help, she said it finally clicked and she ended up doing well. We know several kids there now who love it.
  • svcamomsvcamom Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    My S is currently a freshman at Iowa State University and was directly admitted into the Electrical Engineering School. He has ADHD(inattentive type) and is doing very well there. We set him up with a tutor the first day of school, the best money spent ! He absolutely loves the campus and the town of Ames. His gpa was very similar to your sons. Iowa State is a great and very supportive school for kids with LD. Oh, forgot to mention that my son is from California and now loves the snow !
  • ShrinkrapShrinkrap Registered User Posts: 11,789 Senior Member
    Best wishes to you and your son. My son was in a similar situation many years ago, and made it through. . (I came back to see what you folks were saying about "the scandal"!.
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,732 Senior Member
    I echo the many suggestions of RIT. It would likely be a reach based on stats but a worthwhile one for the strong and diverse support options.

That said, will your son use the support options? It’s one thing to find a school that has a strong program, another one to have the student use it.

I have one adhd student and one HFA/EF. The adhd kid will not use official support services but has utilized available academic support. However he is not an engineering student. We did choose a mid sized school for him and I think that has helped.

I also agree with the suggestion of smaller schools. Harder to slide and for the adhd kid being noticed can really help.

This may sound odd but I’d suggest Seattle U. Yes, it’s Jesuit but it is as open and inclusive and varied and might be a surprising fit, they do a great job of supporting all faiths, or none of that’s the choice. Solid engineering and may be a match for stats.
124»