Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

DD just got waitlisted - what to do now?

2»

Replies to: DD just got waitlisted - what to do now?

• ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 2,434 Senior Member
    edited March 14
    FWIW, my kid received his waitlist clearance on May 10 of last year, and had 4 days to accept. (I have access to his non-university email account). I didn't submit one thing that they were asking me for and is needed for financial aid/information, which you may want to do: "Federal Loan Entrance Counseling Direct Sub/Unsub Loan Master Prom. Note Title IV Credit Authorization - Student"

Apparently he was also sent an email a couple of weeks before, on April 30, asking to see if he was still interested in remaining on the waitlist. I actually never saw this email until today, but I'll assume my kid responded in the affirmative, or else they probably wouldn't have given him an offer. So that's a key email you'll want to keep an eye on.
  • UndercrackersUndercrackers Registered User Posts: 783 Member
    I would definitely have her move on, emotionally. Even if she moves off the list, you may hear way too late for it to make a difference. Friend's daughter was waitlisted at her first choice and kept waiting to get the nod. She finally had to commit somewhere and was literally in the process of moving in to that other school (that she never toured beforehand, btw) when she got a call 2 days before the semester started that she got into her first choice. Because she had given up emotionally on that option, it made it easier to justify not turning the car around. She is fine where she stayed, but I do wonder at some of these schools and their timing. I mean, 2 days before instruction starts - really?
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,323 Senior Member
    Under- an empty bed is an empty bed, an empty seat in a lecture hall, an unpaid tuition and meal plan. People complain that desirable colleges should just "let in more kids" and then complain if their kid is in a triple; people complain that colleges should do a better job of forecasting enrollment to keep tuition down and then complain if they go to the waitlist at the last minute because another kid decided not to show up.

How does a college win this at all?
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,163 Senior Member
    I know someone who moved in, went through the orientation process at a school, and was in the first day of classes at that school when he got off the waitlist at his first choice (which started about 2 weeks later than the school he was at). He withdrew from the school he was attending, packed up his stuff, matriculated to the first choice school where he came off the waitlist, moved in went through the orientation process, etc...

You do have to move on emotionally from a waitlist and (unless you plan to take a gap year) matriculate to a school, but you may come off a waitlist pretty late, and at that time have to decide if you want to accept the offer.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,007 Senior Member
    The entering class of 2017 was overenrolled by over 300 students. This created a housing crunch on campus. No students were accepted off the waitlist in 2017. In 2018 Northeastern took a conservative approach to acceptances and they did go to the waitlist as @ProfessorPlum168 stated.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 2,434 Senior Member
    My 2 Ds who were waitlisted at their top choice schools just moved on. The schools didn't show them the love so they returned it.

just to give the OP advanced warning, assuming you have accepted their offer to be put on a waitlist and have sent some communication regarding interest, there won’t be any more uninitiated communication until the end of April email which I mentioned above. Some schools that put you on waitlist will send you COA breakdowns, but not NEU. You are assigned an admissions officer though so feel free to ask him or her any questions in the meantime. They are very responsive from my experience.
  • CountingDownCountingDown Registered User Posts: 13,210 Senior Member
    My advice -- love the ones that love you!

Doesn't hurt to send any updates and continued expression of interest, but don't bank on it. Let it sting for a couple days, let the other news come in, and then start making decisions based on the schools in hand. Accepted student visit weekends in April really turn the tables on the dynamic -- at that point, the schools are trying to sell you on their institutions and woo you into coming. Your D will wield the power then!
2»