Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Mass shooting in New Zealand mosque

LittleLiamLittleLiam Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
Not a parent, but didnt know where else to post this.

I watched the video on live leak before it was taken down and it was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen. I’m literally so messed up it has me shaking.

A little backstory :

Some loony livestreamed himself on facebook driving up to mosque playing meme music from his car and saying “sub to pewdiepie”.

He then walked into the mosque that had around 100 people inside and shot everyone he saw.

Didnt look like there were any survivors. He legit shot into the masses of people hiding together for like 5 mins straight.

Really mourning for those lost and their families right now. Hope they catch him before he’s able to take the easy way out

Replies to: Mass shooting in New Zealand mosque

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,500 Senior Member
  • boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,415 Senior Member
    Horrible. This makes me sick. There were shootings at 2 different mosques.

I was supposed to be in NZ this week, but cancelled it. Christchurch is still recovering from the earthquake in 2011.
  • CreeklandCreekland Registered User Posts: 5,095 Senior Member
    Horrible. This makes me sick.

This says it all. I feel for the families involved and wish we could get rid of all those who feel they are somehow superior to others due to race/religion/nationality/genetics of any sort, esp when they are willing to kill others due to it. Those folks disgust me. The world needs all types to go around - except theirs.

I'll continue to do my best to open minds to reasoning in the teen years. I've seen kids break cycles. Things like that give me hope.
  • JustaMomJustaMom Registered User Posts: 2,646 Senior Member
    My family and I lived in NZ as a teen for 2 years starting 1972. I have family and friends there. I am struck to my core over this.
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 Registered User Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    Unfortunately, these events don't lead many people to facing and questioning the fundamental cores of their own beliefs, rooted in ground we never actually have to cover.
  • LittleLiamLittleLiam Registered User Posts: 156 Junior Member
    edited March 15
    @partyof5 would be different if people on here actually saw the video, which they thankfully haven’t.

Otherwise it does, sadly, just look like another shooting.

Also the fact that it was in New Zealand. Would probably be more responses if it was in the US/Canada as it would hit home more.
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,595 Senior Member
    We have family in NZ. Don't want to talk about it online because threads in stuff like this usually devolves into politics, condemnation, righteousness, etc. Just praying for the people affected.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,871 Senior Member
    I saw part of the video last night on Twitter before I had even heard about the massacre. It was horrific and I turned it off as soon as I realized what was happening.

I proceeded to sob for a solid 20 minutes once the horror actually sank in.

And yes, I'm numb to it. My heart breaks for my Kiwi and Aussie friends though who are NOT used to this.

Like one posted on Facebook this morning, this just doesn't happen there. And unlike the US, they can make that claim.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,308 Senior Member
    A few years ago when Lake Jr. was in high school his boy scout troop visited New Zealand. I was on pins and needles the entire time waiting here at home, fearing the racism that Lake Jr.'s racially diverse group of American kids might confront in a country not known for racial integration. The kids enjoyed NZ but I didn't sleep a wink for 10 days. Prayers to today's survivors of violence in NZ.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 74,500 Senior Member
    edited March 15
    Arrested suspect being charged with murder is from Australia, according to news media in New Zealand and Australia.
  • camathmomcamathmom Registered User Posts: 351 Member
    I suspect that at least some are not commenting here because of CCs "no politics" mantra. I am so angry about this latest massacre as it is clearly tied to our government leadership. But, in deference to this forum's "no politics" stance, I have nothing else to say.