right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

Replies to: Fraternity controversy at Swarthmore

• EyeVeeeEyeVeee 670 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 677 Member
    Also, when did someone squeezing by you at a crowded party become groping?
    The moment you expel violators for a first offense.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1320 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    I think this is an underlying problem with Swarthmore and other non regulated campus Greek life. At UCLA their Greek system is heavily regulated from a student level. The Interfraternity Executive Council and Panhellenic Executive Council have widespread regulatory power to govern their respective chapters and report to the University. The student run councils have taken proactive steps like mandating professional security and bar tenders at all in house events, limiting the number of registered parties a fraternity can host per quarter, huge punishments for unregistered events/hazing, banning hard alcohol, instituting dry recruitment that is heavily regulated by software, parties require a university ID and they must swipe using a scanner upon entrance to each house, each fraternity has a risk management team that is sober at parties (about 5-10 brothers). These are some of the steps and has resulted in very few hospital transports and keeps everyone safe while allowing people to have fun. UCLA Greek life is thriving with over 4,500 members in regular social frats and sororities. Safety and partying can go hand in hand.

These kinds of rules are being implemented all over. Kid's school has similar. In some cases the Frat party is now "safer" than the bars.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12481 replies231 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,712 Senior Member
    @EyeVeee The "house" was just a place to gather.

So anyone could throw a party there? Or only the frat could?
    · Reply · Share
    @wisteria100
    Why don’t we teach our sons, say starting in middle school what it means to respect women and have dads model that behavior for them.
    I don't have sons, I have daughters. I agree with you, but until others do a better job, I'll tell them to avoid situations that make them uncomfortable and/or may be threatening. I also told them to surround themselves with friends, and not drink to a point where they can't protect yourself.
    · Reply · Share
    @OHMomof2 - I'm told that only the fraternities could use the space.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1226 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    @EyeVeee wrote:
    Quick recaps...

@MWolf - oops...you're right. I hate when that happens

On my part, I apologize for, and completely retract, my harsh words which were, thankfully, deleted.

You are also right in that football is problematic, since, aside from deaths, it has so many terrible injuries, and it also has issues of hazing.
    · Reply · Share
  • yourmommayourmomma 1320 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,321 Senior Member
    edited May 3
    I know you don’t condone it, but why should the answer be, if girls don’t like it, then don’t go to the party and maybe the boys will wise up. That seems backwards to me. It’s not like we’re trying to train a dog to use a wee wee pad. Why don’t we teach our sons, say starting in middle school what it means to respect women and have dads model that behavior for them. That behavior should just not be happening.

Because that's fantasy land utopia. You're demanding behavior. Teaching daughters not to go, or otherwise not associate with jerks may actually change behavior. No girls want to hang out at a house full of creeps.
    edited May 3
    · Reply · Share
    @doschicos - Haverford has arguably the exact same situation with "Drinker", the baseball house. They may not have a national Greek charter, but they have a private space (with living accommodations for 18) and are in many ways the social "elites" on campus. No Quaker bouncers required.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20446 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,655 Senior Member
    Last I knew (a couple years back), baseball players were no longer in Drinker House, intentionally. Do you know for a fact that has changed, @EyeVeee?
    · Reply · Share
    @blossom - When these children become adults, they need to be punished for their actions. When that happens, we just need to be careful to consider the facts and not immediately assume guilt. Finally, I think society is more and more willing to believe accusers and punish perpetrators.

Until everyone plays by the rules, I'll advise my family to be careful.
    · Reply · Share
    @doschicos - yes. I have a daughter at Haverford right now.
    · Reply · Share
  • tpike12tpike12 488 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 497 Member
    [qoute]
    @EyeVeee I know you don’t condone it, but why should the answer be, if girls don’t like it, then don’t go to the party and maybe the boys will wise up. That seems backwards to me. It’s not like we’re trying to train a dog to use a wee wee pad. Why don’t we teach our sons, say starting in middle school what it means to respect women and have dads model that behavior for them. That behavior should just not be happening.
    [/quote]

Unbelievable. Do you seriously believe that fathers are modeling groping women?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20446 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,655 Senior Member
    Well, that's disappointing to hear, @EyeVeee about the baseball team and drinker, and yes, at any school sports teams can be a nuisance.

Given your daughter is at Haverford you then know very well that campus social life/partying is just fine without greek life and that also includes events and parties that are not connected to sports teams.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15900 replies198 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,098 Senior Member
    There are so many! Which just goes to show the extent of the problem.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37928 replies6566 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 44,494 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Though I can think of a very public figure with a groping history who has sons!
    There are. I don't think we need to list the examples. Deleting those posts that did.
    · Reply · Share