Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

Replies to: College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

• Trixy34Trixy34 Registered User Posts: 1,143 Senior Member
    edited May 3
    @Thoeden - not telling anyone else what to hope for or not. My kid has a really good deal at a great school that seems to be a great fit for him. If that turns out not to work, he can transfer to a state school after a year or two, and it will still be affordable. The waitlist school is 12 hours away and very expensive, but there are some in the family who would make it work no matter what. I have mixed feelings, and just want it to be over.

Hmm - where do you find the "what SUNY am I" seminar? I would assume you have to be in-state? lol.
  • MusakParentMusakParent Registered User Posts: 926 Member
    Great post @abbeany !

My kid is also on a waitlist and crossing fingers for no contact. It would likely cost 2-3X as much as the currently selected school where he got a great scholarship and a lot of unexpected personal attention. (and it's a big ten).
  • abbeanyabbeany Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    @PopUpZone1921 I just received my Purdue car magnet in the mail! I just booked parent's weekend too....thank goodness for our Parents Page for Purdue! There will be no rooms left by 5pm today. I hope he stays at Purdue...seems like a great place and I'm super excited for my (our) kids!
  • PopUpZone1921PopUpZone1921 Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    @abbeany I also have a magnet on the way! and a garden flag and a dog collar...and gear for sister and more for him!! Sounds like that have a full weekend of fun planned for parents/families weekends. I booked our move in hotel the day we got back from admitted students day in February. I know its the place for him. He still has a tiny bit of hope waiting for ND but I think once the next week or so passes he will finally be able to let it go and BOILER UP!!!! where are you from?? We live just outside of Philly near Villanova campus.
  • TheodenTheoden Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    edited May 3
    @abbeany Yikes! My son got accepted to 2 great LAC, one a 6-7 hour drive away from NYC and other other, a plane ride away (in Illinois). We visited Knox to do our "due-diligence" and guess what...he's gonna be in Illinois!!! Not what I was expecting. Not thrilled about the travel. But thrilled he's going to a great school where he'll flourish. We're shipping stuff out there, and he'll store his stuff on campus for the summers until he graduates.
  • TheodenTheoden Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @gpo613 Thanks for insights!
  • Trixy34Trixy34 Registered User Posts: 1,143 Senior Member
    edited May 3
    @abbeany - Awwe - I'm bummed your son won't be with us (at the LAC 2 hours from Buffalo), but I hope he LOVES Purdue!

@Theoden - thanks for the link. I have a snowball's chance of getting D22 to NYC, much less NYC to hear about college!
  • ufalumn1997ufalumn1997 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    In addition to everyone else's, I learned that there are a lot of high stats kids! In the high stats kiddos, there are average high stats which is quite humbling! The competition is fierce! For merit and scholarships!
  • moooopmoooop Registered User Posts: 2,176 Senior Member
    There are many variables that might not gel until the last 2 yrs of high school. I'm talking about major, SAT/ACT, scholarships, possible college sports involvement, etc.

By the time some of those get clarified, it's too late to see very many colleges. So I agree that even middle school isn't too early to start looking...not actual dedicated college trips or official tours, but taking advantage of being in the vicinity while on vacation or traveling to stop briefly & check out potential schools. We checked out dozens of schools, & still missed a lot that would have been good fits. Both kids ended up at colleges that were barely on the radar until very late in the game.