right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

Replies to: College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

• PopUpZone1921PopUpZone1921 104 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @abbeany I also have a magnet on the way! and a garden flag and a dog collar...and gear for sister and more for him!! Sounds like that have a full weekend of fun planned for parents/families weekends. I booked our move in hotel the day we got back from admitted students day in February. I know its the place for him. He still has a tiny bit of hope waiting for ND but I think once the next week or so passes he will finally be able to let it go and BOILER UP!!!! where are you from?? We live just outside of Philly near Villanova campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 252 replies7 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    @abbeany Yikes! My son got accepted to 2 great LAC, one a 6-7 hour drive away from NYC and other other, a plane ride away (in Illinois). We visited Knox to do our "due-diligence" and guess what...he's gonna be in Illinois!!! Not what I was expecting. Not thrilled about the travel. But thrilled he's going to a great school where he'll flourish. We're shipping stuff out there, and he'll store his stuff on campus for the summers until he graduates.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @gpo613 Thanks for insights!
    · Reply · Share
  • Trixy34Trixy34 1183 replies6 threads Senior Member
    edited May 2019
    @abbeany - Awwe - I'm bummed your son won't be with us (at the LAC 2 hours from Buffalo), but I hope he LOVES Purdue!

@Theoden - thanks for the link. I have a snowball's chance of getting D22 to NYC, much less NYC to hear about college!
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • ufalumn1997ufalumn1997 164 replies5 threads Junior Member
    In addition to everyone else's, I learned that there are a lot of high stats kids! In the high stats kiddos, there are average high stats which is quite humbling! The competition is fierce! For merit and scholarships!
    · Reply · Share
  • moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 threads Senior Member
    There are many variables that might not gel until the last 2 yrs of high school. I'm talking about major, SAT/ACT, scholarships, possible college sports involvement, etc.

By the time some of those get clarified, it's too late to see very many colleges. So I agree that even middle school isn't too early to start looking...not actual dedicated college trips or official tours, but taking advantage of being in the vicinity while on vacation or traveling to stop briefly & check out potential schools. We checked out dozens of schools, & still missed a lot that would have been good fits. Both kids ended up at colleges that were barely on the radar until very late in the game.
    · Reply · Share
    @moooop yes, my son’s two finalists were late on our radar. One of them a fluke I suggested he apply to (cause I heard the name when I was applying to colleges) and the other on a list suggested by the Princeton Review while he was doing their online SAT prep. Funny eh?
    · Reply · Share
    @19parent Thanks - helpful lessons. I'm already starting with my daughter who is a sophomore to attend college fairs to get her head around things. She's doing interesting EC's, some of which she's very passionate about.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity