Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

Replies to: College Decision Day 2019 is past. How is everyone feeling? Lessons Learned?

• mtemmdmtemmd Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Thank you all for your input on this thread! It has been so helpful to read. I have a junior and 2 freshman and am definitely learning a lot this year. I do have a question, I keep hearing to do the FAFSA early. When (and where) would we do it? For some reason I thought it wasn't until we were applying?
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    edited May 9
    @mtemmd, I completed the FAFSA and CSS Profile by mid October. This turned out to be a good thing; we needed to submit supporting documents for specific colleges, dragging out the process.
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    Unfortunately, my daughter added 2 more colleges and eliminated 2 after I submitted.
  • TheodenTheoden Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    @privatebanker yup..total LOTR need here.
    @JeanneAP My son did the same thing. He only visited colleges that accepted him and we could afford.
  • Rivet2000Rivet2000 Registered User Posts: 904 Member
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,074 Senior Member
    Theoden wrote:
    We all live and learn. If you see in my first post, my daughter only applied to a ton of reach schools, 1 match and 2 safeties. She got rejected from all her reaches, 1 of her safeties. The match that accepted her was too expensive.

That suggests that the "safety" that rejected her was not really a safety, and the "match" may really have been a reach due to needing a competitive merit scholarship that she did not get.

Many "disappointment" threads in April are the results of over optimistically classifying colleges as "match" or "safety" that really are not.
  • TheodenTheoden Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    edited May 11
    @ucbalumnus Yup, She got a nice merit scholarship to her match school, but the EFC was still too high for us. She ended up going to her safety for her freshman year and transferring to her other safety. The first go around with my D17 we knew virtually nothing. The second go around with my S19 led him to apply to broad range of schools with a much more successful outcome. Still our college choices were not based on super deep research, but rather some anecdotal information and lots of spitballing...yet we lucked out with the SUNY system and a couple of schools in the Colleges that Change Lives list. He got rejected from all his reaches, some of his matches were not as generous, and often had merit scholarships with GPA requirements to keep them. The next go-around with D21 will be much more targeted with only schools she would want to go to and all of them being schools we could afford. Only a few of reaches.