Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Shipping son's stuff to college

Replies to: Shipping son's stuff to college

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,613 Senior Member
    Well...some kids do store things for the summer...BUT...won’t he want his Xbox at home for the summer? That’s three months consecutive at home with no stuff.

Is that what he wants? Or will he want to purchase another for home...adding to the costs.

Just giving you food for thought.

Regardless...you need to see how much this will cost...I shipped three ceramic pitchers from Ohio to CT. They had to be wrapped well to prevent breakage, and boxed. I took them to a place to have this done. The cost was well over $100...and what you are sending is far heavier, and bulkier. It’s going to be costly.
  • JeanneAPJeanneAP Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    Good point. Might just be cheaper for him to get a turntable through Amazon or Target once he gets up to Vermont. Same with a computer monitor.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    Just don't send lots of anything up, is cost an issue as you are sending him so far away to a state school? Why UVM?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,613 Senior Member
    @JeanneAP

Will your son be using a laptop? Why does he need a computer monitor?

• aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 9,756 Senior Member
    edited May 11
    My dd went from Southern California to upstate NY. We paid extra for a large single. Most of her gear was for winter stuff. winter coats, boots, blankets, etc.
    Your son needs to wait on his shipping because he will probably have a roommate or two. Each roommate will say what each will bring. The rooms are tiny in most dorms. Each student usually gets a desk, chair, bed (bunk), and sometimes a dresser or a shared closet. That was all three of my kids' dorm descriptions at 3 very different colleges.

His space will be the top of his desk-which isn't that big. That's where his equipment will go. Is he sure he's going to bring all of that stuff? He can't impose on his roommates space.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,290 Senior Member
    Unless the monitor is specialized and necessary bcause he has specific vision issues, wait to find out what he needs for his classes. For example, design students often find that they need upgraded computer memory and video capability.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,449 Senior Member
    My daughter was not a 'gamer' in high school, but in college a new friend had the whole game world set up in his room (same dorm, different floor) and I know she spent a lot of time up there playing games. Her boyfriend also liked games and she had some remote thing that she could play with him. New boyfriend has some games he plays, but not a lot and she's cut way down on it.

The friend did do it a lot. He was in computer engineering and also played an instrument so that took a lot of time, but if you ask me, they did spend a lot of wasted time on the games. My daughter also took a record player and albums, and I doubt she really used them much.

I'd say take ONE xbox in luggage when he moves in and if he needs a screen buy one there or have Amazon deliver it. I bet he could pick up a used one pretty easily.
  • colorado_momcolorado_mom Registered User Posts: 8,870 Senior Member
    edited May 11
    As I've posted on many other threads - "less is more". Start lean, then send more as needed (if it fits).

I'll echo the concern about Xbox. There are so many exciting things on campus the first weeks.. as well as intense academics. Sadly I do know a few engineering students that had to drop out. I can't say it was the gaming addiction that for sure caused it, but having that distraction was surely NOT a good thing when things got tough for classwork.

One of my kids knew another engineering student in the dorm that was not happy. So the well-intentioned mom send MORE gaming gear. My kid commented that it was the last thing that student needed since he already spent too much time in the dorm room.
    Sounds like the best thing to do is just wait until he moves in then see what can fit.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 3,319 Senior Member
    And have him give you access to his canvas etc, waive FERPA or whatever your kid's school requires so you can see his academic etc account. As long as you are paying, you can set such rules. He can refuse, of course, just as you can refuse to pay. It isn't a terrible idea for a gaming kid who has shown you how this rolls even when he lives under your literal thumb.
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 Registered User Posts: 707 Member
    this is probably a dumb question from the parent of kids who have no interest in an xbox but why would he want 2 of them? Has he seen a room / pictures of his side of the room?
    They are two different types of Xboxs. Have different games on them. Will have to bring only one because of limited space. I'm thinking the other will remain here so he can use it on breaks.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,449 Senior Member
    And I'll add that although me daughter played more games once she was at college, they weren't in HER room. The rooms that had the gaming systems did become 'party central.' The xbox and other systems can make it easier to make friends, it can also be hard to get rid of those new friends when you need to study, go to eat, go to class, etc.
  • GKUnionGKUnion Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    My son goes to school 7 states away, isn’t a gamer and is very low maintenance with minimal possessions. That being said, we still rented a storage unit with some of his school friends to leave things at school over the summer. Things like bulky winter clothes, bedding and a desk hutch he bought on campus simply didn’t need to come home.

A friend of his at school lives over 2,000 miles from campus. When the friend called his dad to ask how he was going to get all of his possessions home do you know what the answer was? Throw it all away! My son couldn’t believe it.
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 Registered User Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    @twoinanddone point is the important one. You really don’t want your kids room to become the hub of the dorm. Leave it all at home. If they move off campus in a future year you can consider sending it.