Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

On Campus Housing

FlippersMomFlippersMom Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
My son submitted an application and deposit for on-campus housing for fall. He now wants to live off campus. Is the request for housing application and $ deposit considered a signed agreement? Or is there a separate housing contract that comes later?

Replies to: On Campus Housing

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,657 Senior Member
    What college? You need to call YOUR college and ask.
  • FlippersMomFlippersMom Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    SUNY U at Buffalo. Email was sent to them today. Just hoping for some insight.
  • wis75wis75 Registered User Posts: 13,835 Senior Member
    Housing contracts are legal, binding agreements just like other contracts. Each school may have different policies about breaking contracts. Not enrolling as a student is one. As above, you need to check with your school.

    I think living in the college dorms the first year is an excellent idea. I would investigate the alternate housing before letting my son make the change.
  • FlippersMomFlippersMom Registered User Posts: 97 Junior Member
    Thank you for your reply, wis75. My son will be a junior in the fall - he's a transfer student. He already has a set of friends at UB. I did call the university and was told that he cannot cancel his on-campus housing request.
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 Registered User Posts: 3,253 Senior Member
    I think the way it works at many schools is that you can break your contract, but you would be responsible for the monthly payments until a replacement is found.
Sign In or Register to comment.