Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Advice on education degrees - tried the education board, but may have more luck here

Replies to: Advice on education degrees - tried the education board, but may have more luck here

• NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 6,050 Senior Member
    Virtually all of the CSUs have credible programs in this area. Assuming she's got the stats, SDSU and CSULB are worth a look.

Since she;s interested in other states, I'd also encourage you to check out WUE schools - public colleges in the West that offer discounts to well qualified applicants from other western states. Several Colorado schools are included (we are from No Cal and my son is at Ft Lewis in Durango Co with a different major but LOVES it).
    https://www.wiche.edu/files/files/WUEsavingsChart.pdf
  • overbearingmomoverbearingmom Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    CSULB was extremely difficult for kids from our area to get in last year. On the other hand, she has a guarantee to a UC, so I think she has strong credentials for that.
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom Registered User Posts: 943 Member
    TCNJ is one of the best education programs around. Stingy merit, especially OOS, but I think they may still be cheaper than many privates. A lot of the NJ publics require double majors for education. Not sure about TCNJ's program, but if she's serious about teaching, it's one of the best.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 6,050 Senior Member
    hit Post too soon = Many of the WUE schools are really transparent about how much it will cost and have tiered merit aid like UNRs that makes it even cheaper for well qualified applicants
    thats the UNR link
    https://www.unr.edu/tuition-and-fees/tuition-discounts#Freshman Programs

the Ft Lewis tiered structure
    https://www.fortlewis.edu/flc-scholarships/FirstYear.aspx
    I dont know much about their credentail program, just using them as a WUE example.

and the complete list.
    https://www.wiche.edu/files/files/WUEsavingsChart.pdf
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,074 Senior Member
    Would love any college recommendations with programs based on your advice. She's looking at Drexel and Butler, UCONN so far. But we live in California. Am I missing any on the west coast?

What region does she want to teach in? If California, it is likely that California colleges and universities have programs better aligned with the teacher credentialing requirements in California.

https://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/req-teaching may be of help for California teacher credentialing requirements.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,666 Forum Champion
    If you are moving from N Cal because of cost reasons, then check out the prices in the NYC Tri-state area.Also not cheap.
    I don't think she wants to teach in California, but maybe Oregon or Washington. She is looking at UWash (Udub)
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 76,074 Senior Member
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,286 Senior Member
    Another pathway to this career would be to major in a content area, then complete an MAT program in the state where she decides she'd like to work. Often those are 12-18 months and have excellent job placement.
  • PepperJoPepperJo Registered User Posts: 241 Junior Member
    edited May 15
    Oh Aunt Bea...
    OP asked for advice. Her daughter isn’t sure what level she wants to teach, and may or may not pursue special education. I was merely suggesting options, as my very large school district is always seeking SLPs, and pays them a premium. Ours have credentials, and work with children in a school setting full time helping to meet IEP goals. Obtaining a teaching credential does require grad school, and many programs combine it with a Masters degree. If one wants to be a highly attractive candidate, why not explore other options? Not quite sure why, but your reply to me is a little snippy.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,605 Senior Member
    My opinion...The University Of Hartford is fine...but if she really wants elementary and special education dual certification from a school near there, she should look at St. Joseph’s in West Hartford...a spit from UHart. St. Joes is a very highly regarded program...and I know many well regarded teachers who graduated from there...but it is mostly women...

Another option in CT if you are looking at CT publics is Southern Ct State University in New Haven. Again...a well regarded program.

I should mention that Christian based colleges are on her list of dealbreakers, even if they have Jewish presence on campus. She just feels that she would be uncomfortable as a fairly observant Jew, which is why we would count St. Joes out. A kind of unfortunate limitation as I know there are some highly regarded institutions that fall into that category. We will look at Southern CT State. Not sure that her focus is CT, it's more mine from a) convenience to visit both kids at once and again b) possible relocation near there. That said, she is open to anywhere, so if it looks good to her, then she'll apply.
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple Registered User Posts: 1,403 Senior Member
    Get your degree in the state you plan to live and teach in. Avoid early childhood - it does not pay a living wage. If she likes younger kids go for elementary and make it a goal to teach in a public school (best pay).

Consider looking for a school where she could go right on for her masters. She will need it for the best pay in the best schools. Make sure she gets her masters in literacy or special ed. in order to be marketable. Better yet - a dual.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 75,605 Senior Member
    The College Of New Jersey has good ed programs. So does University of New Hampshire, Umass, UConn.

If she does elementary dual with special ed, she can do a prek- grade whatever certification course of study...and she could work in an integrated preschool in a public school (special education and regular ed kids).

• blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 9,509 Senior Member
    If by "fairly observant Jew" she is looking for an active Hillel, lively Jewish life, etc. there are at least a hundred colleges which rate better than Southern in that regard. And at least a hundred with more rigorous ed programs. Southern is a fine place for a kid who knows they want to settle and teach locally; it doesn't carry the same weight in Boston, NY, Providence, or Philly, all a train ride away (although in different directions).