right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Shocking college debt figures. Not for students but for parents!Please be careful with your advice.

privatebankerprivatebanker 4951 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
So many school x elite with costs vs solid school b but more financially savvy posts than ever. These decisions are life changing for families. Don’t be flippant or immature with elite at all costs. Shocking and scary
316 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Shocking college debt figures. Not for students but for parents!Please be careful with your advice.

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    Do they even include loans co-signed with the student? Those are cropping up when the students fall behind.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 4951 replies61 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,012 Senior Member
    @cptofthehouse

Yes. These are arranged as such. Co signed and then student doesn’t pay. Unexpectedly large bills then fall on them. Or if the child becomes disabled or unemployed.

It is very avoidable in most cases. The numbers are staggering to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • threebeansthreebeans 660 replies32 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 692 Member
    edited May 20
    The billionaire commencement speaker - the amount he plans on paying for one graduating class of one college is reported to be $40 Million! If we multiply that out it proves @privatebanker is right to be worried about what this means for all of our futures. What are the odds of the next generation being financially fit enough to pay their own way. IDK what the solution is aside from a lot more financial
    education a lot sooner.
    edited May 20
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26529 replies172 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,701 Senior Member
    private banker:

do you have the source for this report?
    The numbers are staggering to me.

Yes they are, but does the source separate grad & undergrad debt? (GradPlus loans have been growing exponentially.)

· Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 1834 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    edited May 20
    Here is the most recent trends in student aid report. Busy right now so can't highlight the takeaways, but this is much of the cold hard data, with some good interpretation. Loan data and charts sprinkled throughout.

https://trends.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/2018-trends-in-student-aid.pdf
    edited May 20
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32863 replies3607 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,470 Super Moderator
    This report by AARP seems to have the data referenced in post #1.
    https://www.aarp.org/content/dam/aarp/ppi/2019/05/the-student-loan-debt-threat.pdf
    · Reply · Share
  • MadcityParentMadcityParent 56 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    edited May 20
    Does it specify whether the debt is for their education or for their children's education? I know a number of people who got caught by interest capitalization and are still trying to pay off their own students loans in their 50s.
    edited May 20
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28056 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,112 Senior Member
    I’m seeing this hit families that can’t afford this burden. Kid takes out loans, parent gladly co-signs like it’s a car Loan or for an apartment.

Then the parents hit a job or health slump. Or divorce or other crisis. They retire, maybe early maybe on disability. Then these loans come up when the former students hit hard times. They can even go after social security , tax refunds, etc for these loans.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76129 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,792 Senior Member
    How much of these loans are for professional school (e.g. medical, law, dental, etc.) versus undergraduate?
    · Reply · Share
  • MadcityParentMadcityParent 56 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @Erin's Dad That link answers my question. It looks like most of the over 50 crowd with debt are dealing with their own debt. From the AARP article:

'Most older borrowers hold loans taken out for their own education rather than for their children’s education. In 2015, 5.3 million student loan borrowers ages 50 and older had outstanding federal student loan balances for their own education, compared with approximately 2.2 million Parent PLUS borrowers ages 50 and older.'

· Reply · Share
    Ones I know signed for their kids.

I often say that the Direct Loan for the kids and limit the parents to the same amount at most. And to take it from PLUS and start paying on it ASAP.

· Reply · Share