right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Underrated gems. Colleges that are never mentioned on CC but are really fantastic.

Replies to: Underrated gems. Colleges that are never mentioned on CC but are really fantastic.

• 1stTimeThruMom1stTimeThruMom 235 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @scout59 Thanks for tip re your daughter’s experience at DePaul. Do you happen to know how much religious diversity exists there? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 1103 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA. Smart kids, LAC so lots of interaction with professors, and a really nice place. They do give merit aid and FA. A hidden gem.
    · Reply · Share
  • natty1988natty1988 608 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    @MamaBear16 My nephew went to Whitman and had a wonderful time. He got a great job at Epic right after graduation. Great school! Definitely one you don't hear about a ton.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1812 replies51 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    As well as DePaul I would include Loyola University Chicago. I know two current medical school students who attended Loyola on full tuition scholarships. Both of them were admitted to med school directly from undergrad during their first application cycle so they must have been well prepared.
    · Reply · Share
  • maybearobotmaybearobot 17 replies0 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    My niece went to Berry College in Georgia. She loved it. They really work with their students to help them get internships and work experience. She was able to get a great job right out of school.
    · Reply · Share
  • CorinthianCorinthian 1783 replies61 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Whitman (like Kenyon which was mentioned up the thread) is great but I feel that any school that’s on the CC pinned List of Top Universities or Top Liberal Arts Colleges is not the type of “hidden gem that’s never mentioned on CC” that this thread is looking for.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 29
    Hendrix College in Arkansas. My daughter's friend's younger sister graduated from there about 2 years ago and she loved it! At first she was skeptical about going to Arkansas for college, but they toured the campus and she was blown away. It's also one of the "Colleges that Change Lives." It's been recognized as a top "Up and Coming" liberal arts college and it's also been listed as having a "strong commitment to teaching." It's small and most of the students enrolled are undergraduates. Sounds like a wonderful school worth looking at!

How about Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska? It's a Jesuit university and it has about 4,000 undergrads. A 2018 graduate from my school attends, he was recruited for basketball. Haven't heard how he likes it, as I don't know him real well. Again, it's another school you don't hear about a ton, but seems to be pretty good!

I've also heard good things about Centre College in Kentucky. It's another CTCL. I perused their booth at a college fair I attended with my son. Another school whose booth I noticed at a college fair is Wofford College in South Carolina. It was their mascot that stood out to me, the Terriers! My new favorite college mascot! Haha! You don't hear much about Centre or Wofford on CC. Though Wofford was in March Madness...
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
    @Corinthian yeah, but some top schools don't get mentioned a lot. And some of their threads aren't very active. Even though Whitman is a top college, you don't hear a ton about it...
    Then again, underrated can mean different things to different people...
    · Reply · Share
  • 57special57special 559 replies14 postsRegistered User Member
    edited May 29
    Creighton is pretty well known in the midwest. They have some vg hoops and baseball teams. Wife went to Beloit as a young foreign student and they treated her very well. She excelled enough academically to be accepted into a top tier Medical school.
    edited May 29
    · Reply · Share
    @57special yeah, they aren't too well known out in California where I live and work (at a school), but I have heard some people mention their sports teams...
    I hoped my kids would show some interest in Beloit, but neither did. Too bad, because I always hear such great things about it.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22471 replies14 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Creighton is pretty well known in the midwest.

About half the dentists I know went to Creighton. A lot of nursing student my age (40 years ago) went to Creighton because the U of Colorado nursing school is in Denver and at that time not much of a college experience. If the students wanted an 'on campus' experience, Creighton was it. Now there are more choices in Denver and the CU nursing school has more of a campus (but no football!). Another hardly mentioned on CC is Regis university in Denver, which has added both nursing and pharmacy in recent years, has D2 sports, and a gorgeous view of the mountains.
    · Reply · Share
  • MamaBear16MamaBear16 1103 replies13 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @Corinthian yeah, but some top schools don't get mentioned a lot. And some of their threads aren't very active. Even though Whitman is a top college, you don't hear a ton about it...
    Then again, underrated can mean different things to different people...

I completely agree. I mentioned it because it's almost never discussed here on CC, and often when it is it's listed as more of a safety to kids applying to top schools. It's a fantastic place and because it's a lesser known option I chose to mention it.
    · Reply · Share
  • OneMoreKidOneMoreKid 46 replies7 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Not sure why Drexel doesn't have a higher rank (not that rank overly matters) because everyone always raves about its Engineering Programs (as among the best of the best).
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1298 replies8 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Because Hope College's anchor came up earlier, and because there is never a wrong time or place for useless trivia. @privatebanker, I'm sure that @Corinthian knows this, but an anchor is what the personification of Hope carries, in the same way that Justice carries scales and a sword, and has a blindfold. Liberty is depicted in a number of ways, though we're most familiar with the French interpretation because they created a huge statue of her. These are usually based on different gods and goddesses, mostly Greek and Roman - for example, the personification of War is usually modeled after the god Mars/Ares.

PS. In Lewis Carroll's Hunting of The Snark, the illustrator added a drawing of Lady Hope with her anchor, since the crew "pursued it with forks and hope;", "it" being the Snark.
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 196 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    @MamaBear16, I totally agree about Whitman. I would have loved for my daughter to go there, but ultimately she chose an out-of-state, more urban, medium-sized college. Whitman gave her a very generous merit scholarship, too. Sigh.
    · Reply · Share
  • scout59scout59 3484 replies67 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 30
    @1stTimeThruMom - I know there are many active religious societies/organizations on the DePaul campus, but I couldn't tell you the percentages of specific religious denominations among its students. I know there are Hillel and Chabad chapters, a Buddhist association, and an active Muslim student group, all on campus...but I couldn't tell you what % of students identify as Jewish, for example.

There also used to be an "Atheists and Agnostics Club," too (the DePaul Alliance for Free Thought) but I'm not sure if it's still active.

All students are required to take one or two religion classes - sorry, I can't remember the exact number - and there are many, many classes from which to choose. My own daughter took some kind of ethics class and then a Jewish studies class...and we're Presbyterians. (She just wanted to learn something about a religion and culture not her own.)
    edited May 30
    · Reply · Share
  • CorinthianCorinthian 1783 replies61 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    @MWolf Very interesting about Lewis Carroll's Snark! The Hope anchor logo goes back to the founding of the school in 1851. The Hope website says this:
    Our name and seal are drawn from the Rev. Albertus C. Van Raalte, who said of the school that would become Hope: “This is my anchor of hope for this people in the future.” Van Raalte co-founded Hope College with Philip Phelps Jr., who was its first president.

This symbolism follows the language of Hebrews 6:19: "We have this hope, a sure and steadfast anchor of the soul." Our motto, taken from Psalm 42:5, echoes the sentiment: Spera in Deo (Hope in God).
    https://hope.edu/about/index.html
    · Reply · Share
    @twoinanddone Regis, that was another school I was going to mention! I've heard of it, but don't know a ton about it. Definitely not mentioned much here!
    · Reply · Share