right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Underrated gems. Colleges that are never mentioned on CC but are really fantastic.

Replies to: Underrated gems. Colleges that are never mentioned on CC but are really fantastic.

• natty1988natty1988 590 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 598 Member
    @MDmom11 we had daughters of some friends of ours attend SUNY Geneseo and they had a wonderful time! They're from NY and they loved the instate price! Definitely a bang for your buck if you live in NY!
    · Reply · Share
  • rickle1rickle1 1707 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,721 Senior Member
    Someone mentioned App State. It's in Boone, NC which is an awesome location. We've vacationed (summer) there a few times and it is so close to great hiking, rafting, etc. Of course you have skiing in the winter. A truly beautiful place. The campus is very cool and you can walk to the downtown area. Don't know much about the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7856 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,012 Senior Member
    We pass Connecticut College on our way up to our daughter's school (if we choose to take the ferry from LI). I always say the campus looks gorgeous!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee 670 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 677 Member
    ^^^ Can a school ranked in the Top 50 LAC's by US News be a hidden gem?

If so, I'll follow that with Olin College of Engineering on Babson's campus in Mass. We seriously looked at Olin, and would have applied had ED1 not worked out for us.

Olin is not for everyone. It's REALLY small. Appreciating the size and need for collaboration and civility across a class of under 100 people, Olin admission is a literal gauntlet of application and "on-site" evaluation. They fly everyone who makes it through the first round (~200) to Boston for a weekend in January (mandatory....not attending means no acceptance). At such a small school, 60 kids for a weekend (3 weeks in a row) changes the place. The students literally are part of the admissions committee because they are so involved. From there, the cut to (a few years ago) 70-80 offers of enrolment.

The other major factor with Olin is a 50% discount for tuition (~$25k) for everyone, making the retail cost of attending around $40k. At that price, it's an amazing opportunity for the right kids.

You can also take classes at Babson, Wellesley and Brandeis, which is a really nice option given the size of Olin.

The other school I know very little about that I think may be under-appreciated is Cooper Union.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 128 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 133 Junior Member
    @Cardinal Fang I remember reading about Kalamazoo College and thinking it was an amazing school!
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5379 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,389 Senior Member
    Earlham, like Kalamazoo, is another that creates great outcomes for its students rather than admitting students who are destined for greatness.

Totally agree with @EyeVeee about Olin. Not for everyone but fabulous for the right kid. Unlike many mentioned here, it's quite hard to get into. But for a kid who is a do-er, wow!
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5016 replies64 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,080 Senior Member
    Sure, it’s more of a hidden gem on CC quest for me. Lol.

Olin and Babson are certainly gems. Perhaps partially hidden?
    · Reply · Share
  • LonghaulLonghaul 2616 replies137 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,753 Senior Member
    University of Lynchburg
    · Reply · Share
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama 2644 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,673 Senior Member
    Western Colorado University in Gunnison, CO. In a beautiful town on the Western Slope, at 7000 feet.
    Was a teacher's college, now expanded into computer science, and other fields, due to generous donation of $80 million dollars from Paul M. Rady, that allows students to pay a very low tuition but take U of Colorado classes in Gunnison.
    https://www.western.edu/about/history

https://philanthropynewsdigest.org/news/western-state-colorado-receives-80-million-for-cs-engineering-school
    · Reply · Share
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama 2644 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,673 Senior Member
    Fort Lewis College offers free tuition to Native Americans and a solid public LAC in Durango, CO
    https://www.fortlewis.edu
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7856 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,012 Senior Member
    My kids have loved both Plymouth STate in NH and Neumann in PA.
    · Reply · Share
  • moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    Paul Smith's College in NY...never been there, but I would imagine its graduates have some pretty amazing skills.
    · Reply · Share