right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

12+ APs...how common is this?

Replies to: 12+ APs...how common is this?

• 1NJParent1NJParent 1364 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If a student is on an accelerated path, if the high school offers lots of APs and the APs are the most rigorous courses the school offers, and if taking college courses is not an option, s/he has no choice but to take lots of AP courses, not necessarily to compete with other students.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3816 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 27
    That wouldn't be unknown at all in my kids HS,1/2/3 freshman year, 2/3 soph year, balance over the rest, mostly those kids would also do the IBD (many IBD classes prepared them for an AP test). It is an 8 period school. IBD kids usually fed in from the accelerated program. It wasn't necessarily a good schedule though. AP was where the serious students were, not for any competition. The school didn't reject any kids from AP. I am generally more baffled by honors than AP, as I am not sure how honors is defined, isn't it a made up abstract notion school to school? Not standardized
    edited May 27
    · Reply · Share
  • HImomHImom 34315 replies391 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I know a kid who honestly enjoys AP exams and challenging himself. He convinced his private HS to allow him to self study and take 2 more AP exams in addition to his many AP courses. Self study were Env Sci & US Gov. He also took Comp Sci A&B, Physics B&C, Calc AB, English (both AP exams), APUSH and some I’m forgetting now.

Normally, that high school cautions kids to not take more than 1 or 2 APs/year. In any case, he got the max 60 semester credits for his 15 APs + 1 college class. It only allowed him to register earlier and the college counselor was willing & able to exempt him out of a chemistry graduation requirement, tho he never took AP. Oh, a year after he graduated he got some paper award from college board for being the male in his state taking the most APs and scoring at least 4s for that year (no $).

Since he got a degree in EE which had a ton of requirements, the rest of the credits really didn’t help him.
    · Reply · Share
  • HamurtleHamurtle 2532 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    12+ AP classes seem to be overkill especially since many schools apart from the University of California system do not give credits.

It’s not an arms race and multiple AP classes won’t be the major factor in whether you are admitted to a school or not.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4064 replies87 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Many schools in California don’t even allow you to take APs until 11th grade, so it would be virtually impossible to take 12+.
    · Reply · Share
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3381 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 28
    My kids' school only has 6 periods. My junior had no trouble fitting in these APs

9- HUG
    10- ACompSciA, Euro
    11- Chem, Physics 1, Calc AB, Lang, USH

Next year she will take both AP econ, Bio, Lit, Calc BC and take 2 semesters of physics at the local Cal State as our high school does not offer Calc based physics.

What surprised me when I started reading CC was the number of high schools that allow AP Sciences without high school chem and bio first.
    edited May 28
    · Reply · Share
  • JimQPublicJimQPublic 38 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Follow up to my prior post- As I mentioned the magnet program has 8 AP's as standard. It's just what the program has chosen as part of their curriculum.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4670 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    8-10 APs would be more common among top students at our high school, which allows only one AP for each of 9th and 10th grades.
    S's friend (genius with photographic memory)was able to study independently and ace all the tests (around 20?) he took.
    My kids found that 3 per year was comfortable. 4 or more at a time was pushing it.
    · Reply · Share
  • sorghumsorghum 3502 replies110 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think AP classes without a matching AP exam and a good score don't mean very much. 12+ scores of 5 on AP exams, I would be impressed.
    · Reply · Share
  • CupCakeMuffinsCupCakeMuffins 816 replies78 threadsRegistered User Member
    Taking 12+ AP classes is fairly common in circles of high achievers at schools where they don’t limit numbers or have double block schedule but scoring 5s on all is not common at all.
    · Reply · Share
  • MaterSMaterS 1813 replies51 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You don't need to take an AP class to sit for the exam.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 552 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    There is so much on CC that is not "normal". It can be really intimidating to newbies at first. I'm going to add this to the 4.5 GPAs, 35 ACTs, and applying to a dozen schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • hudsonvalley51hudsonvalley51 2386 replies96 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    No public high school in our Upstate NY county offers more than 5 AP courses. Up here 12 APs is unheard of. Down river in Westchester County you'll find both the opportunity and students/parents willing to take up the challenge. But 12 APs is not commonplace even there.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 552 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    Not only does our school only offer 5 AP classes, but S20 was going to take AP Physics next year and it was cancelled due to lack of interest.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2andmom2and 2866 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It would be very rare (if even possible) to take 14 APs at our HS. Even honors classes are not available to freshmen. No APs for freshmen, AP Euro for sophomores and AP Bio for the few kids in the GT program who took HS bio 1 as 8th graders. Students have to take a regular bio, chem or physics class (honors or college prep) before taking the AP class. Can only take Calc AB OR BC, not both. Not sure if students can take both AP Lit and AP Lang or have to chose one. OTOH, a nearby district has AP World for 9th graders, has kids take AP Physics without a previous physics class. They also have kids take the BC calc class, but suggest they take the AB test since students don't tend to pass the BC test. At that school, top students could get to 14 APs.
    · Reply · Share
  • QuantMechQuantMech 7930 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    In many of the areas, the AP curriculum itself is not particularly challenging. However, a high school can overload students in an AP course, making 12+ very difficult, even including self-study. For example, my nephew took AP Calc BC, and the teacher required the students to come in for an hour before classes started. The local school spreads the AP Chemistry curriculum over 2 years. Some of the AP's are more in the category of AP "Lite" and those do not count for as much in my view. For a student to take AP Latin as a junior, I think it would help a lot to start the language in 7th grade or so. So it is highly variable by school and by subject.

I will also remark that my one-year high-school chemistry class was fine preparation for the AP chemistry exam, and it was regular "college prep." We had no designated honors courses and no AP courses--of course, this was ages ago. The quality of the science courses reflected the post-Sputnik panic, though, and so they tended to be quite rigorous.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29422 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @sorghum, you are right. And senior year scores do not come in until well after college decisions are done. However, the track records of schools with APs is often on the School profile. Some with more detail than others. At certain schools , most of the kids get 4s and 5s on APs. At others, the best that can be said is that most of the kids “pass” them.

The kids I know from this area without hooks who were accepted to the most selective schools took s lot of APs. That’s how the schools were structured

If you go to a school without all those APs, it eases the pressure on you. You cannot take what’s not offered. You can look good taking one on your own not offered, especially if it’s BC Calc. Having all these APs in school really puts the pressure on the kids in those schools, because , yes, not taking Ap English or BC calc very likely will be held against you.
    · Reply · Share
  • me29034me29034 1676 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited May 28
    It isn't possible to take 12 APs at our high school. Even though they offer a lot (20?), they heavily restrict enrollment. There are probably a handful of kids graduating each year with 8 or so but that would be the max. None are allowed freshman year, sophomores can take one, juniors can take 3, and seniors can take 4. That's it.

Plus you have to be very exceptional to be allowed in the class. There is usually only one section of each AP so enrollment is limited to 20-25 kids for each class. This is in a high school with about 1600 students. Class spaces go to those who performed best in the prerequisites. For example, if you want to take AP Bio, you need to have gotten an A in freshman Biology Honors. If you want to take AP Chem, you need a A in sophomore Chem Honors. I once read some one here posting about how B students could make themselves more competitive by taking AP classes. At our high school, someone who had received a B in a prereq wouldn't be allowed in an AP class.
    edited May 28
    · Reply · Share
  • VickiSoCalVickiSoCal 3381 replies33 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Our school offers 29 AP classes but does not allow sitting the exam without taking the course.
    · Reply · Share