right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

"How New York’s Elite Public Schools Lost Their Black and Hispanic Students"

ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76129 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,792 Senior Member
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/03/nyregion/nyc-public-schools-black-hispanic-students.html

From 1976 to 2014, black + Hispanic enrollment:

Stuyvesant: 14% to 4%
Brooklyn Tech: 50% to 14%
Bronx Science: 23% to 9%

The following suggests possible causes:
For years, most who took the admissions test had little to no preparation. Today, test prep is a rapidly expanding local industry. At the same time, many accelerated academic programs in mostly black and Hispanic neighborhoods have closed as Asian immigrants have embraced the specialized high schools as tickets out of poverty.
113 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: "How New York’s Elite Public Schools Lost Their Black and Hispanic Students"

• TanbikoTanbiko 339 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 340 Member
    "At the same time, many accelerated academic programs in mostly black and Hispanic neighborhoods have closed as Asian immigrants have embraced the specialized high schools as tickets out of poverty."

So NYT is now blaming Asian immigrants for closure of accelerated academic programs in mostly minority neighborhoods?
    · Reply · Share
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef 495 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 500 Member
    It's not just URM's who have been displaced by Asians. In 1970, 79% of the enrolled students at Stuyvesant were Caucasian. Today it's around 21%.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1175 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,179 Senior Member
    @kiddie is right on point. DeBlasio is taking the politically expedient route by trying to force equality of outcome rather than equality of opportunity, which would require fundamental and difficult changes in how NYC educates kids, especially in the lowest performing districts, starting in elementary school. Easy to declare victory when the outcome that is measured is preordained!
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3689 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    It's not just URM's who have been displaced by Asians. In 1970, 79% of the enrolled students at Stuyvesant were Caucasian. Today it's around 21%.
    And a great proportion of those 79% were Jewish. The specialized high schools used to be almost the exclusive realm of the Jews. Now, not so much. As you said, that demographic is found in schools like Beacon and ElRo.
    Take the SHSAT which only fed you into 3 schools: Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech 4) Take a test to try to get into High School for the Performing Arts (school from FAME), which is now called Laguardia. So for those of us who didn't have rich parents, the SHSAT was a ticket out for us who didn't want to have to get into fights every day at school. Also keep in mind there were really only 4 schools ALL the smart kids could go to.
    You forgot Music & Art (before it merged with Performing Arts into LaGuardia) and Hunter College HS, which is public but not part of the DOE.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef 495 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 500 Member
    "So for those of us who didn't have rich parents, the SHSAT was a ticket out for us who didn't want to have to get into fights every day at school."

There was also the Catholic school option. These schools weren’t free (except for Regis), but were much more affordable than places like Horace Mann and Dalton.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3689 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    Also, private NYC schools in the 1970s (IDK about '80s; I graduated in 1977) were not that expensive as a percentage of income. Regular, prosperous-but-not-wealthy people sent their kids to private schools like Dalton, Walden, Ethical Culture, Calhoun, Fieldston, etc. A two-teacher family could send their kids to private school.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheodenTheoden 115 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    edited June 7
    @brantly Yes I forgot Hunter Junior College High School and HS! Indeed, I applied to the JHS but didn't get in. Went to Mark Twain and then Stuy ;-)

@TheBigChef Yeah - I'm not factoring in the affordable Catholic Schools. I had friends who went there. (St. Athanasius and Bishop Kearney near my elementary school)
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • zoosermomzoosermom 25660 replies594 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,254 Senior Member
    Theoden, I'm a parent of three kids who went to school in NYC, one of whom was a "one-percenter" in her year and was admitted to Stuyvesant and Bard. I agree with everything you said except the part about Bard not having a test. It does. It's not like the SHSAT test, but there is an assessment given that is part of the admission process, and it is a serious exam.

One thing I think you missed is the rise of amazing programs in the individual high schools, which are allowed to choose their own admissions criteria. There are some that admit based on a test, as well. Some of those programs, which are often very unique and specialized, attract students of all races who would otherwise have applied to SHSAT schools. As I said on the other thread, for many talented students, the SHSAT schools are not anywhere near the best options available.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 7
    Theoden wrote:
    5) Private schools increasingly are offering scholarships to very bright and promising African American and Hispanic students who might have ended up at a specialized high school.
    Yes. I've said this before and someone responded, in effect, that this was crazy-talk. But I think it's obvious that any economically disadvantaged AA or Hispanic or other URM who has the chops to score high enough on the SHSAT to make Stuy et al. would be in the running to get a full ride at any of a number of elite NYC independents and east coast boarding schools -- most of which are way more diverse than Stuy and offer greater opportunities.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share