right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

All inclusive ticket to any college of their choice for parents

RiversiderRiversider 637 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 707 Member
edited June 7 in Parents Forum
If you get a miracle to be young again and get a free pass to attend any college you like, which one would you pick?
edited June 7
130 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: All inclusive ticket to any college of their choice for parents

• Aug2019Aug2019 197 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Wow, interesting thought. Very hard to pick only one!

· Reply · Share
  • RiversiderRiversider 637 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 707 Member
    edited June 7
    Don’t be indecisive, pick one. It’s free and there is no entrance test or ticket for you. It’s ultimate affirmative action with full ride plus offer.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22408 replies2184 discussionsForum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 24,592 Forum Champion
    In all honesty I think I'd return to my alma mater - Penn.
    · Reply · Share
  • Aug2019Aug2019 197 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Ha! Well, love Maine and almost went to Bates..so that would be up there. UCSD - beautiful place to GO to school. And the Webb Institute (Engineering) on Long Island in NY - totally unique. But as @happy1 said...I would definitely be pulled to return to my alma mater as well - Smith.
    · Reply · Share
  • RiversiderRiversider 637 replies70 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 707 Member
    I’ll pick a smaller scenic college town with mild weather, creative community and proximity to a big city.
    · Reply · Share
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad 32863 replies3607 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,470 Super Moderator
    edited June 7
    The college my D2 attended, Lewis and Clark. Keep Portland Weird.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • milee30milee30 1959 replies13 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,972 Senior Member
    I'd do something completely outside my comfort zone in a place I never would have considered, maybe even in a field that wouldn't have appeared at first glace to be practical. Now that I'm um, "older" I realize how much easier it is to try these things before life gets complicated with SOs, kids, etc.

Would be interesting to be one of the first women admitted to Deep Springs for example.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3sonsmom3sonsmom 231 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 231 Junior Member
    I didn’t go away to four year college so I often imagine, fully paid, choice of schools/location. Maybe this is why I enjoyed college visits so much! And also why I’m baffled so many celeb kids model, instagram when they could expand their minds for a few years (cost not a concern). UVA maybe, Princeton, so hard to pick one. English, art, travel abroad!
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1387 replies16 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,403 Senior Member
    I think it would depend on whether I was a shy 18 year old thinking about a career (in which case I'd probably pick the same academic elite institution I attended) or a 50 year old (hopefully in the body of an 18 year old!) thinking about a fun fully paid 4 year experience, after which I could go back to my current life. In the latter case I'd go somewhere with as much skiing, backpacking and climbing as possible - Utah would definitely be attractive.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 7
    @bjscheel You can get your old organ teacher back.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 15872 replies197 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,069 Senior Member
    edited June 7
    Most probably pick my alma mater--Michigan: to get to go for four years, not two (I was a transfer) and to not have to worry about money while there would be great!

Dark horse--Wesleyan was transformative for my D, so I think I would like that, also.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 912 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 923 Member
    For the education I got and the location, I’d pick UCSD again, but I’d live on campus and/or a nearby apartment (nearby the beach, I mean) instead of at home sharing a room with my 10 year old sibling and a 45 min commute each way.

Of all the colleges we visited with kids, I might pick University of Puget Sound. I liked that one,

Or I might study landscape architecture or graphic design or engineering someplace else entirely.

There’s lots of places to spend four years getting a great education and a do-over without cost restraints would make for a hard but exciting decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • mstompermstomper 1019 replies40 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,059 Senior Member
    It wasn't a traumatic period or anything, but I have no desire to do college again. It wasn't my thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • one+twoone+two 95 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    edited June 7
    As a junior high/high school history nerd in the Bicentennial Era 1970s I was in love with Colonial Williamsburg. My parents would not let me apply to William and Mary because in the late 1970s gas crisis era it was "too far from home" at about 8 hours away. Or that was the reason they gave. I then ended up going 3 hours from home and they dropped me off in the Fall and picked me up in the Spring and other times I was on my own to find a ride home so I'm not really sure how that "gas crisis" excuse applied.

So I wouldn't mind transporting back to my 18 year old self and see if the decision that impacted the rest of my life (LOL) would lead me to a different place. Or at least just roam around Colonial Williamsburg for 4 years. Ironically, my S, who we didn't restrict from applying anywhere in the US except California, was accepted to W&M which is about 8 hours from our home. He didn't enroll for partly financial and partly didn't feel the fit reasons. I don't think it's because I mentioned how I was going to visit him several times each semester. Instead he's going to a school 13 hours from home since I didn't pull out the gas crisis excuse.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share