right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Geometry for 9th Grade

OluwatomisinOluwatomisin 0 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
I want my son to take Geometry over this summer but i have no idea where or how. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP
31 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Geometry for 9th Grade

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 5898 replies29 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 5,927 Senior Member
    I would start by talking to a guidance counselor at your son's HS.

Note that it is often difficult for students to take a year long class in a condensed summer session, and there won't be any benefit from a college standpoint to take math over the summer. A student starting in Geometry in 9th grade should still be able to reach Calculus by senior year. There is no need to go beyond that in HS.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37373 replies6486 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 43,859 Super Moderator
    I want my son to take Geometry over this summer
    What does your son want?
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 1686 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,692 Senior Member
    My daughter did geometry over a summer, it was at the summer school organized by her high school district so it was free and automatically on her transcript. The school had advised us to confirm with them if she took it anywhere else as they would have to check if it was accredited to use it for placement the following year, and it would have been on a separate transcript. In that light, agree you should confirm with the school counselor before enrolling your son elsewhere in case it’s not actually accepted by his school.

As others have implied, doing geometry over a summer is not much fun for the student. We had our reasons for the acceleration and it worked for my daughter but I can see why it wouldn’t work for everyone.

· Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 486 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 493 Member
    Absolutely work with your school. If it’s not run by the school, and you haven’t pre-arranged credit and/or placement, which likely means it needs to be from an accredited organization with specific grading criteria, it could be for naught.

Having said that, Johns Hopkins CTY and Art of Problem Solving have accredited math courses. It may be a bit late to start looking - Iirc, AOPS is 22-24 weeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • momtogirls2momtogirls2 737 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 741 Member
    What is your goal? More importantly what is your son's goal? One thing to consider is some students are great in algebra but struggle with geometry and vice versa. Anything you want high school credit needs normally needs to be approved ahead of time. Schools do not have to give credit for anything done outside of school and some don't.

Some high schools do offer a summer math program for advancement. Ours does. It is 5 or 6 weeks about 6 hours a day (I think it was just some Fridays) - then there was still several hours of homework a day after school no matter how easy the work is. Ours has policies such as no absences for any reason, all homework has to be completed on time and graded to average x amount, tests all have to have a minimum grade of x, midterm and final have to score at least x which I think is in the 90s to get credit - the class may be taken for credit to start but may end up being enrichment only. We had different classes for cp and honors levels.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    Why would you want to subject him to this?
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 1686 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,692 Senior Member
    @momtogirls2 - I had forgotten, ours had a no absence policy too. This is the issue with a summer school for advancement, it is so condensed that students literally can not afford to miss a day, and they don’t have the luxury of time to absorb concepts. It was incredibly intense.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41142 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,587 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    Why? He could take Geometry in the 9th grade if he is advanced and took Algebra1 in middle school. Then
    algebra2 in the 10th grade, precalculus in the 11th grade, and Calculus in the 12th, which is the advanced track.
    edited June 10
    · Reply · Share
  • damon30damon30 1147 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    What does your son want?

+1

Although it's too late for this OP and this summer, John Hopkins CTY has a summer program called "Math Sequence" where they cram a year-long HS math course into three weeks: https://cty.jhu.edu/summer/enrolled/mathsequence.html

Here is what the students say: https://www.realcty.org/wiki/Individually_Paced_Mathematics_Sequence
    The first day, students are given a large packet of math problems and told to begin. From then on, all they do is work on these problems, only speaking with the instructor if they have a question. Students are not given much freedom in the classroom, and although the work is straightforward and often boring, diversions are sometimes made in class and students may progress at their own pace.

Not surprisingly, Math Sequence has a reputation as the course students' parents make them take.

Note that at the last social, students who have participated in this course are often seen having emotional breakdowns over asymptotes. One should not take this course unless one has a strong grasp of reality, because after 3 weeks of algebra, you might start talking to numbers. It happened to me; after this course, I developed a form of synesthesia which makes every number from 1 through 99 have a specific personality, and zipcodes are entire pictures. Now I am a freshman in Pre-Calculus and the seniors scare me. Also, the test can take quite a bit longer than 2 hours. More like four. No offense, but this is a really boring class also.

The room this class was held in had a cockroach every day and dozens of bugs, immense thanks to Steve, our bug catcher (and instructor)! We learned a lot of math and how to trick people with cards.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7837 replies153 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    Speak to your son's guidance counselor to determine whether or not she thinks it's a good idea.

I hate the idea of condensing 10 months of material into 8 weeks.
    · Reply · Share
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz 902 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 909 Member
    ^Especially math or science.
    · Reply · Share
  • cshell2cshell2 160 replies3 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 163 Junior Member
    I'm not understanding why you'd want to do this either. It's my understanding that Geometry in 9th is ahead as it is. That's what my son tested into and he will be taking AP Calc this fall as a senior.
    · Reply · Share
  • ewhoewho 1386 replies54 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,440 Senior Member
    edited June 10
    OP, talk to your son's high school to see which summer geometry programs his high school will accept for credit so your son can go to algebra 2 at 9th grade. Some summer geometry classes offered at nearby schools could be accepted for placement in algebra 2.

Or your son can take a placement test to skip geometry. Just helped a girl to do so, now she does not have to take geometry and straightly go to algebra 2 at 9th grade.
    edited June 10
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41142 replies445 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 41,587 Senior Member
    Skipping Geometry is a horrible idea. Starting in Algebra2 in the 9th grade brings ZERO benefits and is fraught with potential pitfalls. I'm not sure what there is to gain, unless the child is pushing on his/her own.
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6626 replies139 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,765 Senior Member
    ewho wrote:
    Or your son can take a placement test to skip geometry. Just helped a girl to do so, now she does not have to take geometry and straightly go to algebra 2 at 9th grade.
    I never took geometry, at any level, although it seems like a good idea if students can learn the rigors of proofs and their connection to logical thinking and reasoning. Those things seem to be losing favor these days, lol. Skip anything you can, it's all about getting a piece of paper.
    · Reply · Share