right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Automatic Merit Scholarships?

bbrady13bbrady13 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm going into my senior year this year, and researching colleges for my future. I was looking for any information about large automatic merit scholarships that I might qualify for. My goal is to go to a school for as little money as possible while staying near the midwest (from Ohio). I scored a 35 on the ACT, have a 3.80 uGPA, and a 4.21 wGPA. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
14 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Automatic Merit Scholarships?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76582 replies666 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,248 Senior Member
    Some possibilities:
    Your in-state public universities may have some for in-state students.
    Alabama public universities (e.g. UA, UAH, AAMU)
    Mississippi public universities
    University of Arizona
    Tuskegee
    Prairie View A&M
    Louisiana Tech
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1066 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    What major? Also, do you qualify for financial aid? Have your parents told you how much they can afford to contribute?
    · Reply · Share
  • saillakeeriesaillakeerie 2226 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,226 Senior Member
    University of Kentucky gives full tuition and $10k/year for room and board for first two years to national merit finalists.
    · Reply · Share
  • bbrady13bbrady13 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    @txstella Currently I am undecided on what I want to major in. I know their income is around $150,000, but I'm not sure how that affects financial aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76582 replies666 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,248 Senior Member
    You and they should get together in front of a computer and run the net price calculators on the web sites of some colleges of interest.
    · Reply · Share
  • txstellatxstella 1066 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,070 Senior Member
    Your parents’ income will hopefully provide some money for college. But please sit down with them and run the NPCs for Ohio public universities as well as some private schools like Case Western. OOS public universities in Kansas and Iowa have merit scholarships if you are interested in those.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhiBroOhiBro 308 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 314 Member
    On CC, Alabama gets the most attention. You qualify for Presidential, which is nearly full OOS tuition. Swanky dorms, too.

https://scholarships.ua.edu/freshman/out-of-state/

Miami and OSU would also give you something, and possibly something really good if you applied for competitive scholarships there.

https://miamioh.edu/admission/merit-guarantee/
    http://undergrad.osu.edu/cost-and-aid/merit-based-scholarships
    · Reply · Share
  • diegodavisdiegodavis 17 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Anyone know how to get details on the OOS merit scholarships Univ. of AZ offers? I see they detail out the in-state merit scholarships but can't get any specifics or ballpark figures on OOS merit scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 13893 replies62 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 13,955 Senior Member
    Look past the money and consider the academics and college culture. Many students have your stats.
    · Reply · Share
    diegodavis wrote:
    Anyone know how to get details on the OOS merit scholarships Univ. of AZ offers?

https://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-of-aid/scholarships/freshman-transfer
    Scroll about halfway down to find "Non-Resident Arizona Awards Based on GPA and Test Scores".
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83932 replies1004 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,936 Forum Champion
    You’re asking about auto-merit scholarships, so your parents’ $150k income doesn’t matter.

How much will they pay each year. If you don’t know, please ask them so you know what you’re dealing with.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83932 replies1004 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,936 Forum Champion
    BTW....many automatic scholarships have Nov or Dec deadlines (much earlier than admissions deadlines), so get those apps in ASAP. Some schools are opening their apps up (LIVE!) in July or August for convenience!
    · Reply · Share
  • GTAustinGTAustin 1143 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,151 Senior Member
    You could receive a full tuition + scholarship from UT Dallas. https://www.utdallas.edu/enroll/freshman/aes/
    It is not an automatic scholarship but with your stats, it should happen. Depending on what you want to major in UTD might be a fit. If you apply in the early fall, you would know within a month what level of scholarship you would receive.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 975 replies59 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    My daughter plays lacrosse at Tiffin University - she receives a decent merit scholarship and the amounts are published on their website.
    · Reply · Share