right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Dual Course taught at High School

3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 81 replies14 postsRegistered User Junior Member
I think I know the answer to this, but want to confirm:

A course taught by a HS teacher at the HS as dual enrollment with the state university (multivariable calculus) is ONLY given credit at the state school, correct?

There virtually no chance that my child will go to the state flagship that sponsors the dual enrollment course. She wants to go out of state. I'm thinking this course (and it's $300 fee) is less valuable than say, AP statistics, which (with a good test score) might actually get her some credit at an OOS college.

Am I right with that or do OOS colleges give college transfer credit for these types of courses?
36 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dual Course taught at High School

• skieuropeskieurope 38463 replies6723 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    edited July 1
    Short answer - it depends.

In general, an in-state public will give credit. An OOS public is less likely to give credit. And a private is even less likely to give credit. But it really depends upon the university's policies.

That said, credit is not everything. If she's planning on a STEM major, MVC may be more valuable that AP Stats. While she might get credit for AP Stats, if she needs stats for the major, she might end up having to take calc-based stats in college. And (again depends on the college), while she may not get credit for MVC, the college may have an internal exam to place out of it or an honors MVC version to take.

Regardless, she actually has to get into a college. That's the first priority. And for admissions, rigor of course schedule is more important than any credits earned.
    edited July 1
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • engineermomof2engineermomof2 26 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 1
    At our high school, DD20 took two different Dual enrollment courses taught through our local community college- but physically taught at our high school for convenience. It is listed on as a CC course transcript, etc...and at least one out of state school she is considering counts it as credit. Your best bet would be to contact the school(s) considering attending...

Edited to add- she also took an AP course. We are awaiting her score. While AP would be more likely to transfer with qualifying score- my DD is not a great standardized test taker. I personally prefer the dual enrollment guarantee of credit over AP potentially not scoring high enough, but then she is not an "ivy" bound contender that AP would potentially carry more weight for admissions. YMMV
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29482 replies170 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    LOL. That $300 you don't want to pay right now, might well be the cheapest college credits she ever earns. Unless it truly is a hardship for you to pony up the money, pay it. Let her take the truly advanced math class. Stats can wait.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33094 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Adcoms aren't likely to know credit policies in detail. It's often noted on the web site.

But credit is once you get admitted and attend. That comes first. Depending on the colleges, MVC may play better than AP stats. One rigorous, the other not so much.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77125 replies671 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    3kids2dogs wrote:
    A course taught by a HS teacher at the HS as dual enrollment with the state university (multivariable calculus) is ONLY given credit at the state school, correct?

It depends. While some colleges automatically deny transfer credit for college courses taken on the high school campus, others do not. You need to check the transfer credit policies of each possible college in question.

Also, even if credit is given, some colleges may not accept it for subject credit.

AP statistics is generally seen as less rigorous than multivariable calculus for admission, and is unlikely to get useful subject credit for a student going into math-heavy major (such majors, if they require statistics, often require calculus-based statistics).
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 667 replies8 postsRegistered User Member
    Yes, every school has their own policy.

Just as a data point, Purdue has a self-service app you can use to see if credit would transfer there. Our HS has dual courses with 3 different schools and it was interesting to see what would transfer, from where, and for what - it was a curious mix.
    https://selfservice.mypurdue.purdue.edu/prod/bzwtxcrd.p_select_info

You can see if schools you’re interested in have similar tools.

Regarding Stats - I remember a conversation I had with my D’s Math team coach, who is a math grad student at a major college. I noted that the only math course left at her HS senior year would be AP Stats. His immediate reaction was “that’s not really Math” :smile: The school’s Statistics department is indeed in the college of humanities and social sciences.

But Statistics is an important subject to understand, so that doesn’t mean it’s not a valuable course. From a fraternity brother of mine - https://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_s_formula_for_changing_math_education?language=en
    · Reply · Share
  • racereerracereer 98 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 1
    S19 just went through this and is getting most of his dual enrollment credits accepted at an OOS university. You will have a better chance with other state schools from what we found. Private schools will have different rules on dual enrollment transfer credits. In some cases they won't give you credit towards graduation but will take in account the classes for placement.

We are in VA and he is attending Ga Tech. Between dual enrollment, AP, and SATII he has 58 transfer credits they have accepted, but not all of them are eligible for his degree. For example, his MVC and LA credits were accepted as direct equal but DiffEQ had to be evaluated and they only gave him a math elective credit and not the GT DiffEQ he needs for his major. The class he took was only a 3 credit class while the GT class was 4 credits and covered a few more topics so he will be take the class over at GT. Many schools that accept transfer credits have equivalency tables that you can look up classes from schools around the country.
    Also just for reference GT doesn't give any credit for AP Stat no matter the score.
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6619 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Agree with the other answers - it not only depends on the school, but you probably wont have the information if the credit will count until after your student is enrolled.
    My D's OOS University didn't let her know the DE credits transferred until a month before classes started.

I also agree that YMMV with the "worth" of the course depending on course rigor and intended major.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33094 replies358 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I just personally dislike when a hs teacher runs a supposedly college level course. Some have the experience, some don't and may still treat the students as high schoolers. Depends. And many school districts don't charge for DE on the hs campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 81 replies14 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Interesting, I thought that the course description was interesting because it actually named our state school in it - as in it explicitly stated - 4 credit hours will be awarded at XXX University. They didn't even say, credit hours may be awarded at the school of your choice. It sounded like - State School or bust.

We'll see - there's a pre requisite of having a 4 or 5 on the BC AP test, so she has to get over that hurdle first.
    · Reply · Share
    @3kids2dogs dual enrollment credits are awarded from some college or university. You will then get a transcript from that college that can be submitted, to what ever school your daughter plans to attend, as transfer credits. It will be up to that school if they accept credits for that class from that college/university. S19 went to a Gov STEM school that the classes were dual enrolled at a local community college. So, all of his transfer credits came from a community college.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3kids2dogs3kids2dogs 81 replies14 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited July 1
    @racereer This is different. Sort of a hybrid. It's taught at the HS by a HS teacher.

This is what the course description says: "Multivariabe Calculus is the capstone to our calculus course sequence and is offered through a dual enrollment model with the University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign and is taught at XXX (name of High School) by a XXX (name of High School) teacher. There is an enrollment fee of approximately $300 per student. This fee also avails the student to four hours of undergraduate credit at the University of Illinois upon completion of the course. This Mathematica based course uses the award winning Calculus and Mathematica (C & M) courseware that provides a focus on an application and deep conceptual understanding. While students are expected to be able to perform calculations by hand, abstracting away from the algebraic calculations can often make it easier to initially learn the connections between concepts. Mathematica allows students to quiickly produce and easily change graphics and representations of their formulas.
    Prerequisite: Students must score a 4 or 5 on the AP Calculus BC exam
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6619 replies39 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My D's DE courses were the same - taught in her HS, by HS teachers, but a curriculum from a university. The courses were listed on her HS transcript but we also had a transcript from the university.
    · Reply · Share
  • bgbg4usbgbg4us 1235 replies37 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    good question. I just looked that up for myself.
    if its a big OOS school, chances are you can do a credit transfer check and see if it will transfer. You need to know the name/number of the class at your state U and then google "credit transfer" at the University of your choice.

My s20 thinks he wants to go out of state. His dual enrolled class he took this year at our local state U transfers OOS to University of Colorado - his dream school. Good to know!

you have an actual college transcript now, with college credit. This credit trumps AP credit if the college accepts transfers from your original college.
    EG: my D16 took AP world dual enrollment. She got a B in the class; a 5 on the test. The college took the B rather than the AP 5 for credit. I'd look up the class number from UIUC and cross check that against other Universities. It's sort of like a puzzle!
    · Reply · Share
  • DigitalDadDigitalDad 36 replies1 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Just checked my daughter's first-year transscript. Barnard transferred 24 credits for 7 AP classes, but none for two different dual-enrollment classes.
    We had ordered a transcript from a major OOS public university, and one from the local community college, both to be sent to Barnard. It's something I'll eventually follow-up on, just to confirm that it had been received, but was not found to be equivalent/sufficient - but in hindsight I suspect the fees I had paid are lost. Of course, since neither her nor us knew her final choice until the second to last possible day, I certainly couldn't have predicted Barnard 2+ years earlier when I was opting to "invest" that money.
    I think a general answer would be: AP / IB credits will be more predictable, because those are nationally standardized, while Dual-Enrollment credits are more likely a case-by-case decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 38463 replies6723 postsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    I suspect the fees I had paid are lost.
    I don't know Barnard's admissions policies off the top of my head, but many/most colleges would have required the transcript with the application, espicially id not on the HS transcript So likely, it was not wasted money. But I know that Columbia would not give credit for DE classes, so it's not a surprise to me that Barnard does not either. As I said upthread, privates that give credit for DE will be in the minority.
    · Reply · Share
  • scubadivescubadive 1091 replies3 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited July 1
    It depends on the school and the exact class as to whether it will transfer. Based on the college the credit is offered from you have a better chance with it transferring to other state flagships. Most state schools have transfer equivalency tables. AP stats is not accepted by many schools because it is not calc based. And I have to agree that $300 for four potential credits hours will be far cheaper than down the road. And if you have to pay for the AP exam your net cost is closer to $200.
    edited July 1
    · Reply · Share
    Barnard is one of those colleges that does not give transfer credit for college courses taken while in high school unless they were open to college students and taught by a college instructor on a college campus: https://barnard.edu/sites/default/files/prior_to_bc_jan_2019.pdf
    · Reply · Share
    skieurope wrote:
    privates that give credit for DE will be in the minority.

Is this necessarily true for private colleges in general, or do you really mean highly selective / highly prestigious private colleges?
    · Reply · Share
    @3kids2dogs some of my sons dual enrollment classes were taught at his home HS by the regular HS teacher. They show up the same on his community college transcript and transferred with no problem.
    · Reply · Share