right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Food money when living in an on campus apartment - how much?

toomanyteenstoomanyteens 975 replies59 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
I guess I am getting old and tired... lol; I MADE the older kids get food plans OR not ask for money.
But my youngest is the most likely to cook for herself at home and I am thinking we will contribute some to the cause -- the apartment is a lot more expensive than the dorm, and that cost eats up most of the food plan savings. She also left a whole lot of food swipes on the card end of semester and I wasn't giving her any money (I did shop with her before semester for basics).
How much does one girl need for food (like grocery store - eating out is on her own) for a week to eat would you say?
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Food money when living in an on campus apartment - how much?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22077 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,091 Senior Member
    I'd think about $50
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 28256 replies56 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 28,312 Senior Member
    I gave our kids whatever the school charges for an 18-19 weekly meals plan. I figured they could spring for two meals out a week. They probably went out more than that and missed meals on campus while on the meal plan freshman year when they lived on campus. My kids worked summers and a few hours a week during the school year after freshman year, and were responsible for paying for their expenses other than room, board, books, some school supplies and trips home.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20426 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,635 Senior Member
    We did $75 per week which actually saved us money vs. the college's meal plan.
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 9608 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9,617 Senior Member
    How does she eat- smoothies with fresh fruit and yogurt for breakfast, nice salads for lunch, and a protein/ veggies for dinner? Or energy bars and boxes of raisins for both breakfast and lunch?

Fresh fruit and vegetables are going to be more expensive than a kid who is happy with ramen, a box of mac and cheese, and a granola bar as her daily fare. You know her eating habits and how close a real grocery store is to her apartment.....
    · Reply · Share
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 3803 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,826 Senior Member
    My D spends about $50 per week on groceries after a fully stocked pantry and start-up groceries purchased at drop off. She’s a vegetarian so a meat eater might spend more.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 975 replies59 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    Thanks - I was thinking 50 -75 a week after stocking her up. At least it seems in the ball park!
    · Reply · Share
  • ProudpatriotProudpatriot 1538 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,550 Senior Member
    We gave our kids $200 per month which seems to jive with other estimates of $50 per week. They ate meat and fresh foods and never complained it wasn't enough.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3726 replies66 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,792 Senior Member
    My kid's total monthly allowance was $430. That was for food, utility bills, local transportation, toiletries, household items, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • mommdcmommdc 11254 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 11,284 Senior Member
    My D uses her Discover student card for food and grocery store trips we're about $50 weekly. She would meal plan for the week. Sometimes it was more if she needed supplies like toilet paper or such. We give her money to pay the credit card bill.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom9collegemom9 758 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 782 Member
    We are budgeting $75 a week and $500 a semester in flex dollars. Still ends up being 1/2 of what the meal plan costs. If I find that is too much we will adjust in the spring.
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 918 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 929 Member
    My two girls each spent $30-50 per week on groceries when they were in apartments and not on any meal plan.
    · Reply · Share