right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Colleges start to offer mental health screenings on incoming freshmen - good plan!

jym626jym626 55360 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited August 17 in Parents Forum
Mental health screenings are being conducted voluntarily on incoming UGA freshmen. Hope other schools follow suit https://www.11alive.com/article/news/education/uga-to-offer-screening-of-freshmen-for-mental-health-issues/85-33fe8f5e-1a52-489e-9051-31d3d6215931
edited August 17
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Colleges start to offer mental health screenings on incoming freshmen - good plan!

• compmomcompmom 10693 replies76 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is this a "screening" or an info session? Unclear. I would vehemently oppose any mandatory screening, of course, but this is voluntary. I would skip the screening part and give kids info on what stresses lie ahead and how to handle them. I would also want to know whether the school offers adequate mental health support, either on campus or via referrals out. Any screening would seem to be an effort to shift responsibility from the school to the student. And there is a right to privacy to preserve.
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5194 replies74 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    First line of the article says it. They will offer “voluntary mental health screenings” at sign in day. Remove the stigma and offer the help say one to someone who might be struggling and you don’t know.

I think this is brilliant. Just brilliant.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55360 replies2879 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Exactly, @privatebanker . Yes, as said in the OP, this is voluntary. And its unlikely the school would offer screenings without a follow-up referral plan in place. Lets see this as a positive opportunity- no need to be suspicious of their motives. JMO.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1001 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do you really think students will do this voluntarily? I really don't.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5616 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Looks like a terrific idea. Research on this shows that kids do well when they talk with peers and when seeking care isn't stigmatized. My guess is that this program will continue to evolve and become more effective over time, and this is a good start.
    · Reply · Share