right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Becoming one-dimensional?

PackerBacker123PackerBacker123 5 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
A bit worried that my D22 (who has been really well-rounded thus far) is becoming one-dimensional.

Freshman year, she joined a STEM Club and was just voted Captain of the team last week -- something she is thrilled about. It meets 2-3 times a week, but some weeks they put in 10 hours.

However, she now has to give up Student Council (meets on Tuesdays at same time as the STEM Club) which she absolutely loved last year and gained a reputation as a "rockstar" on it -- according to her GC (believable because she throws herself into whatever she does, has creative ideas and is generally well-liked by her peers.)

She loves theater and has been involved in it since Kindergarten participating almost every year including Freshman year. It was 12-13 hours a week though and she says she cannot lead her STEM Club, which competes almost monthly, while doing theater. So she is dropping Drama Club too.

The one other Club she will continue to participate in is another STEM Club which prepares them for USABO type competitions. She will be self-studying for this as well.

And she will probably add on a service club. So basically 2 STEM related clubs and service.

D22 is a straight-A student -- top 1%, and plans on working with her team to be really competitive this year (lots of hours, some research to learn stuff at home in addition to her club meetings) She is extremely passionate about her chosen STEM major, so I feel torn -- I want her to do what she really loves, but feel sad that she has to give up other things that make her so well-rounded. How do other kids do so many clubs and so many competitions?? The "resumes" I read here on CC are just packed with activities!

Advice? Am I being paranoid over nothing?

12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Becoming one-dimensional?

• ultimomultimom 143 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    It is difficult to do everything in high school. Your daughter will still have STEM and service with a leadership bonus. I also have a D22. She is still involved in music and two sports. She has dropped other activities so that she has time to sleep and do well in school. Leadership positions do take a lot of time if they are truly leading. There is also the obligation to have almost perfect attendance as well. If it were me, I'd let your daughter enjoy her preferred activities rather that sweat whether or not she can check another box on her college application. It is possible that your daughter will pick up and drop other activities over the next few years. And, if not, the freedom to follow her passions is a true gift.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 898 replies20 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited August 21
    I think you are fine. I've often wondered he same thing, how kids have time for a long list of activities. Sports at our school are hours after school every day - there is no time for a job (unless it's weekends) or clubs (which also meet after school). My son has fit in a few other activities, but it's like a puzzle to get the schedule to work. Colleges like well rounded kids, but they also like kids who follow their passion and succeed in it. Since your d's interest is in STEM and she'll be majoring in that, I think her extensive involvement in that will be seen in a positive light.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7001 replies50 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also agree that you are fine. My D had to drop activities and prioritize along the way too. It all works out.
    · Reply · Share
  • PackerBacker123PackerBacker123 5 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thanks @ultimom! That's what she says -- that she will get her team to do much better at the competitions this year than they did last year, but it is going to take up a lot of her time!
    · Reply · Share
    Whew, thank you all for putting me mind at ease. STEM is competitive but I don't need her to go to an Ivy or anything. Just need her to be admitted somewhere that is a good fit for her.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33596 replies369 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And she had the other years of all the other activities and can explain in one line on the app that this is a unique opportunity and was a tough decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32261 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 21
    I had one kid who did only science or computer related activities. He did fine. My other kid was in two orchestras, was on the literary magazine, won medals in Science Olympiad, had a little business selling origami earrings and was interested in majoring in history or international relations. He did fine too. Actually compared to his grades he did somewhat better than we expected.

That said, sometimes conflicts happen and you have to choose. For my kids it was courses, every single year, but activities are the same. You can either explain or just figure it's not that important. Sometimes it is worth explaining sometimes it's not.
    edited August 21
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1546 replies19 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Your D can do some community theater over the summers if she's interested.
    · Reply · Share
  • HPuck35HPuck35 1986 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For ECs, it is not a contest to see how many one can do but instead the quality of one's involvment in them. It is better to do one and be really engaged in it then be a joiner who does nothing of value in any of them.
    · Reply · Share
    @melvin123 that's something I had not thought of -- will keep in mind for next summer and see what she says. Thanks! She is continuing the voice lessons that she has taken since second grade even though she says she won't do drama club anymore. We are happy she wants to do that because it's something that brings her so much joy! Just last night I encouraged her to re-join one of her school's low commitment singing groups -- we'll see if she does!
    · Reply · Share
    @mathmom, maybe she'll get an essay topic out of these decisions! I just don't want her to come across as someone she is not. But perhaps I need to accept that she is forming her own personality, and this is what brings her joy.
    · Reply · Share
    I am definitely feeling relieved about the "track" DD is choosing after reading everyone's comments -- thank you all so much!
    · Reply · Share