right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Are You A Know It All in That You Just Know A lot About Many Things In General?

oregon101oregon101 5500 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
edited August 23 in Parent Cafe
I am finding that I just own a wealth of knowledge about many subjects (and not about others at all). I have had GF's ask me lately how I know this or that such as why the chair squeaks or what is wrong with a car (my speciality--D use to send me a recording of the sound I would tell her what to discuss with the mechanic). How to store fruit or freeze food and just tons of information. I have begun to feel like a "know it all" but deep down I do not understand how others do not have a library of this type of general knowledge.
I had fun when D and her friends are in HS asking them silly questions such as "how do you keep brown sugar from going hard?"
I love! general common sense knowledge. I value it. I fear it is a lost art.
I learned it from my aunts and grandmother and reading the Farmers Almanac, RedBook, GoodHousekeeping. Making mistakes and having a gift in general to retain everyday useful information. Did you know that if you lived in Indiana on a soybean farm in 1974 and you did not have a dryer that you could put salt in the rinse water and then hang your jeans outside in the dead of winter and they would not freeze??:):):)
And that if a field mouse got inside your little stove in the insulation and you just happened to cook it that the stove had be thrown away?
edited August 23
36 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Are You A Know It All in That You Just Know A lot About Many Things In General?

• oregon101oregon101 5500 replies136 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 23
    More--how to use newspapers and vinegar water to wash windows (lol--no more newspapers!).
    How to properly water houseplants. How to train a dog properly!!!
    Rotating tires. How to bleed brakes? Change oil? change a spark plug--etc LOL no need to know any more!
    Put your silver jewelry in a bowl with a ball of aluminum foil and table salt and soak--comes out beautifully.
    Salt on your steps. How to remove ink or blood from clothes.
    Yes, all can now be googled but these are just in my library of the mind.

edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • wis75wis75 14031 replies62 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The longer you live the more experiences you have and the more you learn to solve so many problems- and acquire so much knowledge you never use again.
    · Reply · Share
    Just looking for some fun responses.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33597 replies369 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yup. And Google only makes it worse. Recently, I've made a concerted effort to quit googling, when I don't have to. Info overload.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4654 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Another annoying Jeopardy fan here...Big reader. Read a lot of reference books +newspapers+magazines as a child.
    Most of that practical knowledge comes from life experience. And from decades of driving junk cars.
    I hate it when my kids discount my experience. This summer my 20yo D and I got into 2 heated arguments--one was about how to separate eggs and the other was about how to wash/tear lettuce for salad! Seriously?? She doesn't think mom might know something after 50 years? (Her argument was that any way is just as good as any other way. No, honey, it is so obviously not. Get out of my kitchen.)
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32261 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I have a lot of useless knowledge from doing the NYT Crossword puzzle every day. I also was an avid reader as a kid and read every biography in the library in sixth grade which is the main reason I know old sports stars.
    · Reply · Share
  • surfcitysurfcity 2511 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I absolutely identify with this. IN different situations I have had folks comment on how "smart" I am but really IMHO it is just that I have a wealth of mostly useless trivia. I read voraciously as a child - not just books but my mom's magazines, newspapers, etc and I learned a lot early on. Continuing to read all sections of the paper really adds to a breadth of knowledge.
    · Reply · Share
  • atomomatomom 4654 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Uhhhhh... JustaMom... You win!
    (I suppose you know an even better way to separate eggs?)

· Reply · Share
    edited August 23
    I agree that so many do not seem curious. I think it is because they know how easy it is (now) to get information. I rarely owned a tv back in the day and depended on reading and talking. H did not believe I knew specifics on how to sprout beans--then the directions arrived and I was correct. (super fast and fun with the $15 canning jar from Amazon although it is easy to make your own set up). I do not know a single person IRL that knows stuff like this.

P.S. Pioneers hung their butter churners filled with milk from the back of their wagons and by the time they finished traveling for the day they had butter from the shaking.
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • 1FloridaMom1FloridaMom 19 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited August 23
    People who want to know everything about everything have more trait curiosity. They're always more curious than others. It's good to know someone has the answers for me if the internet is "down"!
    edited August 23
    · Reply · Share
  • JustaMomJustaMom 2682 replies97 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    atomom wrote: »
    Uhhhhh... JustaMom... You win!
    (I suppose you know an even better way to separate eggs?)

HA! I don't - nor can I ever pick a shell out either! Seriously, there's a ton I DON'T know or can do. I just have tried a bunch of stuff.
    · Reply · Share
  • jasmomjasmom 1131 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If success at Trivial Pursuit is a measure, I know very little!!! I survive via strong inductive and deductive reasoning (and a smattering of creativity).
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 24
    Husband, being a know-it-all engineer said that their design made them a good choice for storage, but questioned my knowledge of their history. I was happy to find a google link to confirm my information. It's annoying being a know-it-all married to a know-it-all!

Did you know their name derives from the locale where they were built in RI and is Algonquin for "small, long place".

Yes, I, too, am a know it all of random facts. :) And you will still find quite a few in RI.

I've always been a curious person.

edited August 24
    · Reply · Share
  • kjs1992kjs1992 113 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    I have amassed a lot of useless information - especially regarding pop culture (TV, movies, etc) and sports. I was a nightmare to play in Trivial Pursuit as a kid. I also had to take a mandatory class in college which pretty much ensures that I can score some pretty sweet Jeopardy answers.
    As a for instance on the pop culture stuff, yesterday a co-worker asked me if I ever watched "The Flintstones" as a kid. My response revolved around my 2 favorite episodes which included the character who looked like Ann Margret (Margrock, I think?) who stayed with them and then sang in a clam shell that was supposed to be like the Hollywood Bowl (the Bedrock Bowl?)....and another with the Gruesome Family (Wierdly was the dad) who looked like Sonny and Cher. The sad part is, I was rarely allowed to watch TV as a kid, so I'm not sure how I remember all of this stuff and why it even has a space in the Rolodex of my brain, but it does.....
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20883 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "I have amassed a lot of useless information - especially regarding pop culture (TV, movies, etc) and sports. "

We should team up because those are my weak areas, @kjs1992. :)
    · Reply · Share