right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Commission Based High School Recruiters for Universities?

968Mom968Mom 62 replies22 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Are there people who get paid a commission by universities to recruit high school students to apply to their universities? I ask because we have a person who volunteers at my sons High School who offers free counseling services but often recommends the same schools over and over. They are all very pricey out of state universities.
25 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Commission Based High School Recruiters for Universities?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29579 replies172 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not for those kinds of places.

Chances are that these are institutions that that person is familiar with, and is a big fan of. Also, what you consider pricey might look cheap to that person. So have a chat with that volunteer, help them expand the list of places they are encouraging the kids to look at, and the way they discuss paying for college with the kids.

· Reply · Share
  • 968Mom968Mom 62 replies22 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    He often recommends Harvey Mudd which is $80k a year not including travel. Case Western, California Institute of Technology, Rose-Hulman, Olin College of Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology and Worcester Polytechnic Institute are other favorites he recommends. It's always the same schools. He's not open to discussion, we've tried.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 6962 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Well, at least it's a range of selectivity, locations, and some do give generous merit scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • STEM2017STEM2017 4047 replies95 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sounds to me like this volunteer has limited knowledge and shouldn't be in the position of recommending colleges to students.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22642 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some people know the systems of certain schools. They know what the applications should look like, know what the admissions offices look like, know how to puff up some assets and downplay some holes in the applications. It looks like he 'knows' tech schools, and they do tend to be expensive as those you have listed are private schools.

He's a volunteer and may not want to spend his time learning about new schools. You don't HAVE to use his services, so why are you trying to discuss other schools with him?
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8378 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Sounds like he is an advocate for promoting a private "technological university" type of educational setting for college . https://theaitu.com/about-aitu/
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3683 replies46 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77683 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    968Mom wrote: »
    He often recommends Harvey Mudd which is $80k a year not including travel. Case Western, California Institute of Technology, Rose-Hulman, Olin College of Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology and Worcester Polytechnic Institute are other favorites he recommends. It's always the same schools. He's not open to discussion, we've tried.

What does he recommend to students who are not interested in engineering?

However, it has been the case on these forums that there have been posters for whom a certain school is the default answer to almost all "what college?" questions. In some cases, the poster recommends his/her favorite school even when it in inappropriate for the student's goals. In some cases, the poster is aggressively hostile to any who point out that his/her favorite school may not be the best for the student.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9131 replies492 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 9
    That’s not a broad range of schools at all. Maybe the volunteer is great with general application tips and advice on the process, but I feel sorry for the kids who have no interest in those types of schools. Recommending Rose Hulman to a potential Humanities major is not helpful.

To answer the OP’s question, I have never heard of paid college recruiters, but if that was a thing, surely they’d be recruiting for for-profit colleges? Those are all non-profits, I believe.
    edited September 9
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33430 replies363 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Really, outside of CC, I never see folks knee-jerk recommending Caltech without qualifying the kid on a seriously deep level,

Who brought in this person? How old?
    · Reply · Share
  • crankyoldmancrankyoldman 617 replies55 threadsRegistered User Member
    If it helps any-and it probably doesn't-it's unlikely that he's getting paid. It's just both his worldview and his knowledge of colleges are pretty limited. Which isn't that unusual; way back when, the college counselor at my high school had 12(yep, an even dozen) colleges he recommended, no matter what your planned major was. He wouldn't recommend all 12(except to those students viewed as the very best) to most kids; 5 or 6 was enough. But he never left the dozen; it became a running joke-and contest-among the students to see who could get all 12.
    · Reply · Share
    If it helps any-and it probably doesn't-it's unlikely that he's getting paid. It's just both his worldview and his knowledge of colleges are pretty limited. Which isn't that unusual; way back when, the college counselor at my high school had 12(yep, an even dozen) colleges he recommended, no matter what your planned major was.

It would not be surprising if most counselors at most public schools (not specifically college counselors, since many/most schools do not have such) were mainly familiar with the local community college(s), the local state university, and the state flagship, and perhaps a few of the most popular other colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • crankyoldmancrankyoldman 617 replies55 threadsRegistered User Member
    This was, specifically, the college counselor. Kept things simple.
    · Reply · Share
    For the person who said no good deed goes unpunished, there is more to the story. This person is not particularly nice if you do not agree with him or follow his advice. He told my daughter that only "door hinge engineers" go to University of Florida (where she is a mechanical engineering student) and gave her dismal false statistics on her employment prospects (she did the work to verify them). He basically only promotes the same schools and I've just been unable to understand why. He has a website and for a time, was meeting with students on campus as a volunteer. It's more like a business he runs but for free, which makes no sense.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7721 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 10
    At least the volunteer has a sense of humor = "door hinge engineers", and was kind enough to refrain from from labeling them as "door hinge engineers for pocket doors".

Curious as to what the volunteer has against MIT.
    edited September 10
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 74205 replies3245 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @968Mom

If this person is rude or otherwise not respectful of the students and parents, I would bring this to the attention of your head of guidance. He is volunteering at your school. Folks that run college counseling businesses sometimes do volunteer their time. BUT that is no reason to be rude and disrespectful.

Every college counselor has favorite schools and school with which they have familiarity. This particular guy knows about his handful of schools. You are under no obligation to listen to him.
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8378 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What does his website say about his background , education?
    · Reply · Share
    968Mom wrote: »
    For the person who said no good deed goes unpunished, there is more to the story. This person is not particularly nice if you do not agree with him or follow his advice.

Seems like a few posters on these forums who have a favorite college to recommend and get rude if someone else disagrees with them or posts even the slightest criticism of that college.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3683 replies46 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 10
    Your kid is obligated to spend zero time with a volunteer, right? If you can cite facts, then write an email to he paid GC at the school about the misinformation (factual). Your thread title is implying that he might be a paid recruiter (LOL) so you need to take care not to make this something about a personal slight. You also can vlunteer time to help with college applications, right? In my kids public school, the GC had 400 kids. There was no such thing as a college counselor.
    edited September 10
    · Reply · Share
    I have written to guidance at the school and received a watered down response. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that he has donated $50k+ to the school. Correct, my kid is not obligated to spend any time with him and after our first meeting, never did. It's just a very strange situation because he has a LLC company, a partner, he meets with students on campus, all allegedly for free. Many people have had bad experiences with him but everyone is afraid to say something. Most people think he must be making money somehow but nobody knows how.
    · Reply · Share