right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Parents to twins in class of 2020

mom2twingirlsmom2twingirls 16 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
As a mom to twin girls graduating in 2020 I would love to connect with other parents in the same boat (parents to graduating twins). I welcome you to share your experiences, challenges and celebrations. Personally, I have two high achieving students- one just found out she was named a NMSF the other missed the cutoff by 1 point 😩. The one who didn’t achieve NMSF status, scored a perfect on the SAT English section and scored an overall 1550, way above her sister. One twin desperately wants to go to the same university as her sister, while the other strongly wants to venture out on her own and go to a different school. They are very close to each other and are each other’s biggest cheerleader. It is impossible for me to imagine them living apart in a year, but that appears to be the path we are on. I’m so proud of them for their individual achievements and I am anxious to see where this college search journey takes them. Presently, U of Alabama is the front runner for the NMSF student, while the other is leaning towards Indiana U or Purdue. I’d love to hear your journey.
27 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Parents to twins in class of 2020

• ebh87ebh87 163 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My twins are class of 2013 but were in a similar situation - both high achievers and one really wanted to be with his brother while the other was open to attending the same university but was looking at different schools as well. They ended up at the same university and it was wonderful - so convenient for us! Good luck to your girls. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2twingirlsmom2twingirls 16 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you @ebh87 for your note. Deep down I hope they go to the same place, but I respect my daughter’s
    Wish to branch out on her own and establish her own identity. So glad it worked well for your sons. Did they room together?
    · Reply · Share
  • ebh87ebh87 163 replies6 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Thank you @ebh87 for your note. Deep down I hope they go to the same place, but I respect my daughter’s
    Wish to branch out on her own and establish her own identity. So glad it worked well for your sons. Did they room together?
    They did not room together and didn't even live in the same section of the campus (large university/campus). They ended up having one class together, met once a week for Sunday brunch (usually), but other than that lived separate lives. It worked out well for us - they were happy and we were thrilled because it was so much easier for us with them at the same school and it was reassuring to know they were there for each other.

· Reply · Share
    @ebh87 that is exactly what I was hoping to hear! U of Alabama is such a large community that I think it could fit both of their needs--independence for the one seeking to separate and close proximity to her sister for the one nervous about venturing out on her own. Thanks for sharing!
    · Reply · Share
  • Miles PerraraMiles Perrara 180 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Coincidentally to the original post, there was a blog published on the HMC admission page about two sets of twins at the school, and a little about their decisions to attend. The admission page: https://www.hmc.edu/admission/ and click on the blog post labeled "twins in the mudd"
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77793 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Perhaps most important for the parent -- how much of a limitation are the cost constraints, and are they aware of what they are?
    · Reply · Share
  • ThreeSeniorsThreeSeniors 1 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    We have 3 graduating in the class of 2020. Twins and a grade skipper. All three very unique and all three heading in different directions. Only one NMSF and he is overly enormored with impressive college names. We are hopeful that he comes down to earth and gets serious about one of the great schools with great scholarships available to him! I can't imagine what move in week is going to be like for us!
    · Reply · Share
    @ThreeSeniors Wow!! I cannot imagine moving in three college freshmen in a short span--YIKES! Do you think there is any chance even 2 of them end up at the same school? Do you have other children or will your nest be empty in one fell swoop like mine?
    · Reply · Share
    @Miles Perrara Thank you for the link to the Mudd blog. I just checked it out and it is interesting how both sets of twins did not initially plan to end up at the same school. Do you have a student that attends Harvey Mudd?
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus I agree that costs are important and we have had frank discussions with our kids on what we are contributing to their education. They have both decided that they do not want to graduate with a large debt load, so they are being very strategic in choosing schools/programs that have good academic reputations and offer ample merit aid as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • Miles PerraraMiles Perrara 180 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @mom2twingirls: one of my S attended, but some time back. He's graduated and working now.
    Related to #7, see this story about triplets: https://www.kold.com/story/38918919/start-of-school-at-u-of-a-very-big-day-for-triplets-going-into-their-first-year/
    · Reply · Share
  • dmvmomx2dmvmomx2 30 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    My twins just started their 3rd year at 2 different universities. They actually attended 2 different high schools, so it was not a huge deal for them to choose different colleges. Plus, they have very different majors and goals. One wanted a specific type of business program and the other wanted computer science engineering (with specific classes).

When they were in the process of choosing schools to apply to, we talked finances first. We told them that we had a specific amount that we could swing each year for them combined. Some parents prefer to designate a specific number for each kid, but our kids were fine with one of them getting more than the other. Neither one of them is expecting to go to grad school straight from undergrad or will get their employer to pay for it.

When they put in their applications, there was only 1 overlap (UVA). They both got in to UVA, but in the end, they both chose different schools. They are both super happy with their choices and doing very well. I think they do miss each other, but I'm happy they went with best fit. One of them goes to school in-state and the other halfway across the country, but we make it work. I have to admit though, when they chose their schools, I immediately checked what the chances were of them having graduation at the same time. Just one of the joys of having multiples:)
    · Reply · Share
  • PPugglePPuggle 13 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I'm so glad I found this thread. My daughters are seniors this year and both were lucky enough to qualify for NMSF. I don't know if they will go to the same school but it would give me a lot of peace of mind if they did. They both want to study CS so it's possible. We live in Orlando so close to UCF which is high on our list since it would be free through NMSF. I have told them both to apply everywhere (UF, UCF in-state) and others like GA Tech. We will see where they have been accepted and make any decisions in the spring. One daughter really likes UCF because it's close, she knows a lot of students there already and she has already been an active participant in the UCF Programming Team for several years. The other has has the same close ties to UCF but she's leaning toward GA Tech if accepted to be farther from home and yet still be in an area with good weather. :)

As for twins at the same school, when I was an undergrad at UMass, there was a set of identical twin girls who were roommates on my floor freshman year. I heard a few years later that they were roommates the entire 4 years even after they moved to off-campus housing. I remember back then thinking that was a little strange but now that I have twin girls, I totally understand it. I have no idea what my two will choose.
    · Reply · Share
    OMG thank you so much for posting that HMC interview with twins. The set of boy/girl twins were explaining how they have different last names and that their cousins, also twins, are the same way. My girls have different last names as well. I've been told once that someone else had heard of that being done, but most people are a bit confused for a while.
    · Reply · Share
    @dmvmomx2 thank you so much for sharing the experience of your twins. It sounds like the choices they made are working for everyone. I too had the same thought about graduation dates if they go to different schools. I would be gutted if their graduations fell on the same date!
    · Reply · Share
    @PPuggle congrats to your girls!! That is awesome! My daughter who was named NMSF is interested in checking out Univ of South FL. She doesn’t know much about UCF. She is hoping to fly down to visit during her fall break in October. I think USF will pay for the flight. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on their journey.
    · Reply · Share
    I can't even imagine what you'd do if both graduations are the same day. That possibility hadn't even crossed my mind. Now if they end up at different schools, I'd worry.

I reread that HMC article. There were two sets of twins at HM with different last names. Not related. Still cool.
    · Reply · Share
    @mom2twingirls UF is the flagship state school and it's in Gainesville which is a small college town. FSU would probably be the next "best" state school and that's in Tallahassee. USF is in Tampa (even tough is Univ of South FL). As a city, Tampa is similar to Orlando where UCF is located in terms of population, etc.. There are better beaches closer to Tampa but we have the theme parks. They are about 1.5 hour drive from each other. I think US News had USF ranked higher than UCF. UF would be the go-to school for most kids in the state in general but it's also the most competitive in terms of admission. For engineering, UF is hands down better than UCF but UCF has this amazing Competitive Programming and Cybersecurity team that both rank nationally. Those two team are tops in the state so for computer science, UCF is arguably better than UF. Problem with UCF is that it's a 15-20 min drive from home whereas UF is about 2.5 hours away. Hence, a little too close for one of my twins, even though they would both live on campus. It will be an interesting year.
    · Reply · Share
  • browniesundaebrowniesundae 228 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi! I have twins that are starting their sophomore year of college. They were both NMF with high stats, but they never really had the goal of attending the same college, although they did apply to 4 of the same schools.

DS (hard science and math kid) wanted big state school with great sports, not into prestige or super intellectual vibe -- totally okay with being anonmymous on a huge campus and still wanted to be one of the smartest kids in the room. DD (social sciences kid) wanted something smaller and placed more importance on being with her intellectual peers and, honestly, placed more value on prestige.

I have to say, it was a stressful Senior year. We were chasing merit, but also wanted them to go to one of their top choices if possible. Because they gravitated to different kinds of schools, we visited a TON of campuses. Between the two of them, they had 25 apps out. DD ended up at T10 school on the quarter system (starts Oct 1, end June 15). DS ended up at huge Big 10 school on traditional semester system. They have been fine being away from each other, but they are close and keep in touch via snapchat, GroupMe, texting, weekly family video calls, etc.

The differing schedules are a blessing and a curse. For their fist year it was nice to drop off DS in mid-Aug, then have 5 more weeks with DD before we had to drop her off at the end of Sept. However, they basically didn't see each other all summer this year -- DS home at the beginning of his summer, then back to campus to do research for the rest of the summer. By the time DD got out of school in June and came home for a week, DS was gone :-( Then, by the time DD got back from her out-of-town internship in August, DS was already back at school for sophomore year. Also, this year none of our 3 kids spring breaks are the same week (our 3rd kid is a 7th grader). We've realized the only time we can take a family vacation is over winter break.

One thing that is hard is that DS got a full ride to his school and DD got some merit and need-based aid, but is still costing way more than DS. We are trying to make it so that DS gets some benefit from the fact that we are spending significantly less on him - we gave him spending $$, paid for his books and football/basketball tickets, etc. while DD has to cover all her books and other expenses during the school year.

Sorry for the super long post. It is definitely a unique situation with twins. So fun, though, to see them succeed and move on to exciting new adventures!
    · Reply · Share
  • Twoin18Twoin18 1532 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    We’re in a very similar situation to @browniesundae with b/g twins just starting sophomore year, one on quarters and the other on semesters, one with a full ride and the other without. Completely agree with the challenges that the different schedules create, the biggest issue has been the cabin fever in September waiting for the fall quarter, after the other has gone off to college.

Our decision was to give them the same amount of 529 money and let them choose how to use it. D will have a lot left over for grad school (or a house downpayment, etc.). S not so much (although he chose to attend the cheapest school on his list, which just happens to be the highest ranked also, so he still has all the costs covered). But they knew the situation going in (when picking where to apply to) and they are both happy with that.
    · Reply · Share