right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

U Tennessee does the right thing by this bullied young boy in Florida

jym626jym626 55304 replies2877 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/07/us/bullied-student-university-of-tennessee-shirt-trnd/index.html. Cute story. I hope he is getting a cut of the sales profits from his T-shirt.
21 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: U Tennessee does the right thing by this bullied young boy in Florida

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2080 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Love this story!! Thanks for posting it.
    · Reply · Share
  • bookwormbookworm 8861 replies72 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    A good use of social media
    · Reply · Share
  • HeyItsNickHeyItsNick 1015 replies21 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Such a great story. Very impressed by U of Tennessee's response but even more impressed by the teacher. It takes a special type of teacher to go out of her way to make her student feel better in the way she did.
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 413 replies1 threadsRegistered User Member
    ^^^ Bullying can be really hard to combat as a teacher, so for her to reach out like this was terrific. And having the community step up was doubly awesome, as actions like that can be a huge boost to the staff. Often the outcomes in situations like this aren't nearly so positive. Glad it worked out so well for everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • HoggirlHoggirl 1679 replies196 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    jym626 wrote: »
    Cute story. I hope he is getting a cut of the sales profits from his T-shirt.

This has been all over my FB feed. I have neither seen nor heard any evidence that the student is getting a “cut.” I also have no idea what “portion” from every shirt is being donated to the bullying charity. What percentage is it, exactly?? It’s akin to a school saying “80% of our students receive financial aid!” Looks good on paper, but that claim can be made if a school gives 80% of your students twenty bucks each.

On one hand, it’s much more uplifting than much of what I read on FB. On the other hand, it seems a bit opportunistic by the university to me?? Maybe I am a cynical old woman.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55304 replies2877 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 9
    I read somewhere he was getting something like $3/shirt. Don’t know if that has been verified.
    edited September 9
    · Reply · Share
    @jym626 - I hope that is correct!
    · Reply · Share
  • onthewestfenceonthewestfence 235 replies4 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Royalties would have been the least to be done but this tops that.

://www.cnn.com/2019/09/12/us/tennesse-bullied-boy-scholarship-trnd/index.html

"In recognition of the fourth-grader's Volunteer spirit, the university has extended an offer of honorary admission for him to join the Class of 2032," the school said in a statement. "In addition, he has been awarded a four-year scholarship covering his tuition and fees beginning fall 2028 should he decide to attend UT and meet admission requirements."
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1168 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Hopefully the university acts as swiftly in regards to the anti-semitic message that was painted on the rock on 9/11. Don't know how to link to the article....
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 342 replies4 threadsRegistered User Member
    I think the profit's are going to an anti bullying not for profit.

In all this -- what about those mean girls? I certainly hope they were spoken to, and have apologized for their behavior.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 12
    The article that I read stated that a PORTION of the profits were going to an anti-bullying organization.

Today I read that they have offered the student four years of tuition and fees if he chooses to go there. My suspicion is that I was not the only one who felt like UT should do “more.”
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
  • sevmomsevmom 8378 replies55 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 12
    The tuition /fees for 4 years is way above what I would have expected too. Seems kind of over the top . I guess the university thinks it's good PR though.
    What pressure- do well enough to get into Tennessee, or go there whether you want to or not because you got a scholarship!
    edited September 12
    · Reply · Share
    @twoinanddone - just my opinion. UT obviously didn’t *have* to do anything. They could have taken his design and not sent him anything and not given any money to charity. But, I have read they have pre-sold 50,000 shirts. Giving the kid a buck a shirt in addition to his full-tuition scholarship would cover his room and board for four years.

Maybe I am the one who is opportunistic. I’m willing to concede that. I do think UT should have started with giving this student more than a box of swag. It seriously looked like what would be sent to a local out-of-state alumni group (plus a jersey for him) for a watch party. Offered him a tuition and fees scholarship (or better full-ride) from the outset and donated 100% of the profits to the anti-bullying nonprofit. This is a student who resides in Florida. UT plays UF in Gainesville a week from Friday. Bring him to the game as a guest of UT - he only lives 90 miles away (maybe they have done that by now, too - idk). The amount of goodwill that this could have fostered would have been huge for UT. So maybe that is why I could be fairly labeled as opportunistic. Be generous from the get-go. Not as an afterthought. Obviously I have no idea what the motivation of UT was or what the timeline of the series of events has been. I’m glad they are doing what they are doing. It’s definitely a step up.

As I said, just my opinion. I respect yours as well. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29579 replies172 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Mom of UTK MFA candidate here. Gotta say "Go Vols!"
    · Reply · Share
    Just read that now ALL profits are going to the anti-bullying charity at the request of the mom. I have NO idea if this is accurate or not, just sharing what I am seeing.
    · Reply · Share
  • readthetealeavesreadthetealeaves 757 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    I love this story. I am so glad University of Tennessee gave him a scholarship as well. Go Vols! What a great incentive for this kid to give school his all for the rest of elementary school, middle and high school and get to attend the school he made the t-shirt for in the beginning! Heartwarming story
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7721 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If I understand correctly, then this young person may have a full scholarship to the University of Florida (Bright Futures, I think) as well as to the University of Tennessee ?

In addition to a large box of apparel & other items (swag) for the young boy, CNN reported that his entire class received UT apparel.

Curious as to the University of Florida's response.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22642 replies15 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    One has to earn the BF scholarship. It is not automatic and a top scholarship requires a 3.5 gpa and a 29 ACT.

Bright Futures is not issued or run by the U of F - it's a separate state agency.
    · Reply · Share