right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

fingertip injury - asking for accommodation?

ruthstoopsruthstoops 46 replies19 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
Hello there! My son nearly sliced off his fingertip in shop class in late spring. He hasn't really used it for writing intensively until starting high school. He has pain/numbness and seems to be doing a LOT of handwriting. I think it is also slowing him down in school and out. Would you ask for modest accommodation (more computer writing and or a bit of extra time) or is this something that will irritate everyone?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: fingertip injury - asking for accommodation?

• MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn 38451 replies2107 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    That sounds like a legitimate issue to me! I would definitely contact your school's counselor and explain the situation.
    · Reply · Share
  • NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 4179 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes, contact whomever is the Section 504 Plan coordinator at your son's school or district and find out what kind of documentation/evaluation is needed to verify that his hand injury is limiting a life function. Then the accommodations can be developed.
    · Reply · Share
  • ECmotherx2ECmotherx2 2203 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If he is suffering from pain and numbness and the injury was in the spring, I would get him to an orthopedic ASAP. It is possible that the first bone, the distal phalanx or the ligaments may have been severed and there is not sufficient healing at the finger tip. My daughter had this and needed surgery to remove more bone and then stem cell therapy and had some success in bone regrowth. I would suggest that you contact the school and ask if they could offer a scribe/recording pen until you can get a diagnosis.
    · Reply · Share