right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Too Early for SATs?

Mom24boysMom24boys 904 replies47 threads Member
One of my freshman sons is currently taking Pre-Calc, he tested out of Algebra 2 over the summer. Sophomore year will be Calc A/B and possibly Discrete Math. He is also a voracious reader (both fiction and non-fiction), last time his reading level was tested in middle school it was late college.

So if he takes the SATs at the end of this year will that be a negative for college admissions? Will it count if he qualifies as a NMF junior year. He took the SATs at the beginning of 7th grade (about a month into Algebra 1) and scores were 680 Reading and 650 Math.

He finds standardized testing fun (he takes after his Dad). I love him very much, but don't understand this at all.
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Too Early for SATs?

• ChaosParent23ChaosParent23 498 replies29 threads Member
    LOL... see my post in the other SAT thread.
    Short answer... nope he's not too young, go right ahead and take them! Worked out really well for our S.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1149 replies16 threads Senior Member
    It won’t be a negative if he does well, but now that he’s in 9th grade, it will stay on his CB record.

My D is one year older and had a similar score (650/730) October of 7th, though she was in Geometry. We had her take it again late in 8th so the score would again be discarded by default. (She did well enough, 1550+, that we kept it).

So by the end of Alg2 and 8th honors English, she had enough to cover all content on the test (1 silly mistake cost her a M800). If your son has done well enough on practice tests to be where you want to eventually be, he can take the test now. But because it will stay on his record, evaluate whether additional schooling, practice, etc., would be beneficial and consider taking it later.

NM requires an SAT or ACT between August the prior year (Soph) and December the following year (Sr) to support the PSAT test score. So an SAT score this year would not support NMS qualifying in Junior year to become a finalist - he would need to take the SAT or ACT again.

This puts us in a a similar dilemma - I thought she was done but now needs a supporting score. We may have her take the ACT and not use it for college applications if it is lower.

I would also suggest taking the Math 2 Subject Test this May or June. I know some kids in accelerated math aren’t even aware of Subject Tests at the end of PreCalc, which is the best time to take it.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2486 replies5 threads Senior Member
    edited November 6
    RichinPitt brings up a good point, which I didn't know, so if you have to take it between soph and sr, you might as well wait to take it in the fall of jr year so you can use any prep your son does for PSAT for the SAT.

Be careful of taking subject tests in 9th grade, you'll be competing with a 11th grade version of yourself! meaning kids taking the math 2 will have taken stats or m/v calculus, AIME tests and will breeze through the test, probably taking it in half the time and getting nothing wrong, you don't want to be curved against them. They take it jr year along with the other subject tests in one sitting.
    edited November 6
    · Reply · Share
  • joecollege44joecollege44 151 replies10 threads Junior Member
    You obviously have a gifted kid, but I personally don't see any reason to take it this early. He will only get better from here.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathKidsmathKids 29 replies1 threads Junior Member
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    I would also suggest taking the Math 2 Subject Test this May or June. I know some kids in accelerated math aren’t even aware of Subject Tests at the end of PreCalc, which is the best time to take it.

The end of PreCalculus is definitely the best time to take Math 2. Both of my kids took it in 9th grade. Studying Calculus won't really help with Math 2. If anything one may need to review the Math 2 material that's not used in Calculus. I know a few other kids who are strong in math and who took SAT Math 2 as freshmen and received 800.

As for regular SAT, I would probably wait. DS22 has a great score from talent search from 7th grade (great enough that I wish schools would just accept his scores from middle school), but we will probably wait till this summer or his junior year to have him take it again.
    · Reply · Share
  • mountainsoulmountainsoul 69 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited November 6
    Following this thread as I have the same dilemma about when S23 should take the SAT. Lots of helpful info has already been shared.

My D took the SAT fall of junior year (before the PSAT/NMSQT) and had to review algebra concepts learned two years prior. S23 is in Algebra 2/3 now. My thought is to have him take it next August which will give him the summer to study and a score that can count for NM consideration.
    edited November 6
    · Reply · Share
    Be careful of taking subject tests in 9th grade, you'll be competing with a 11th grade version of yourself! meaning kids taking the math 2 will have taken stats or m/v calculus, AIME tests and will breeze through the test, probably taking it in half the time and getting nothing wrong, you don't want to be curved against them.

I am pretty certain that once my D has finished two years of Calc in 11th she would do no better, probably worse, that she did after 9th grade PreCalc. Nothing in Calc will help her, and she more than likely will have forgotten trig double angle formulas, phase/offset graphs of trig functions, etc. Take it based on coursework, not an arbitrary grade. (Fwiw, I don’ think AIME helped her ;) )
    · Reply · Share
    mathKids wrote: »
    As for regular SAT, I would probably wait. DS22 has a great score from talent search from 7th grade (great enough that I wish schools would just accept his scores from middle school),

Have you run into schools that have said they won’t take it? Other than CMU which claims it only takes recent tests, I haven’t seen it documented. My D has similar from 8th as noted above and I actually fear she won’t do as well. I’m hoping to use it for admissions and use a potentially unsubmitted ACT to support NMS.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32460 replies159 threads Senior Member
    AIME is nothing like the SAT ! I agree with most of the post, take Math 2 right after Pre-calc.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathKidsmathKids 29 replies1 threads Junior Member
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    Have you run into schools that have said they won’t take it? Other than CMU which claims it only takes recent tests, I haven’t seen it documented. My D has similar from 8th as noted above and I actually fear she won’t do as well. I’m hoping to use it for admissions and use a potentially unsubmitted ACT to support NMS.

To be honest I am not sure. I did hear people saying that high school scores are needed, but I don't recall seeing this specifically. It will be something to look into and ask about. It has been all about DS20 these days (back in the middle school DS20 did great on the math section but his reading was weak, so he had to retake it; not to mention he still took the old SAT). I too worry that DS22 may do worse on SAT now than he did in middle school simply because he won't pay much attention and make sillies.

· Reply · Share
  • Mom24boysMom24boys 904 replies47 threads Member
    SATs this year are on Pie Day which my son thinks is a sign. It might be too close to build season (First Robotics) to prepare.

He wants to take the SATs this year because he says it will take off some pressure off Junior year when he'll re-take if needed.

He will take the Math 2 SATs in May or June.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2486 replies5 threads Senior Member
    8th grade scores may be ok as that's within the college board 5-year window, but I would call a couple of colleges and see what they say.
    · Reply · Share
  • arsenalozilarsenalozil 119 replies7 threads Junior Member
    My D took the SATs at the beginning of 9th grade and scored a 2310 (old scale). She had to take the SAT again in 11th grade for NMS since the 9th grade test did not count as a qualifying test. She scored about the same on the second test (1580) and submitted them both for college admissions. I don't know if that early test score stood out in any way in terms of college admissions.
    · Reply · Share