right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Reality check list of colleges (high stats, CS)

vanvalenvanvalen 38 replies6 threads Junior Member
Would love some feedback on son's current list of Universities! Thank you :smile:

NorCal public high school
GPA: UW 3.92, W 4.23, UC 4.46
ACT: 36
APs: APUSH 4, Bio 5, currently taking CalcAB, Statistics, Econ/Gov
Extracurriculars:
*Varsity Snowboard Racing, state meet first 3 years, captain
*Club Soccer (NPL) since forever, goalkeeper
*Volunteer at local science center, 3h/ week
*Summer jobs, 10th-11th = camp counselor 40h/ week, own lawncare ‘business’ 9th
*Lots of independent garage projects (e.g., designed and built own “boosted board” using regular longboard, 3D printer, and various parts). Kid likes to tinker; not as interested in organized activities.

Majors: computer science or possibly mechanical engineering

Not as interested in a big city (LA is definitely out, but surprisingly loved UCB?)

No financial limitations

Reaches (?)
Stanford, REA
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Georgia Tech
UT Austin
UCB
UW
CalPoly SLO

Match (?)
UCSB
UCSD
UCI

Safety (?)
CU Boulder
School of Mines
SDSU
ASU Barrett
85 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Reality check list of colleges (high stats, CS)

• GumbymomGumbymom 28457 replies187 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    I think you have good list for the California schools. No UC Davis or Santa Cruz or they too close to home? Although they are reach schools based on acceptance rate #’s, SLO and UCB are definitely possible.

Congratulations on his hard work and best of luck to him.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7817 replies65 threads Senior Member
    I think you've categorized the list properly. Good luck to your son!
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 79014 replies701 threads Senior Member
    GT, ASU, and Washington are in big cities.

If he unsure between CS and ME, investigate change of major criteria be at each school.

Washington, UCSD, and UCSB are much more competitive for CS than overall.

ASU looks like automatic admission to the school and CS major.
    https://admission.asu.edu/first-year/apply
    https://webapp4.asu.edu/programs/t5/majorinfo/ASU00/ESCSEBS/undergrad/false
    · Reply · Share
  • nordicdadnordicdad 139 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Be aware that Dartmouth requires 5 years to get an ABET approved MechE degree.
    · Reply · Share
    Dartmouth's social scene is also very fraternity/sorority heavy.
    · Reply · Share
  • boudersbouders 2481 replies173 threads Senior Member
    Has he considered Harvey Mudd or Olin?
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75486 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    edited November 16
    Have him apply early action to Georgia Tech for automatic consideration for a great merit award, and possible instate tuition rate. But he has to apply EA. Not sure he can apply EA to GT if he applied SCEA to Stanford. But then you did say finances were not a consideration.

@jym626 do I have that right?

Assuming this student is not a senior now!

I do think it’s a well balanced list!
    edited November 16
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 56023 replies2918 threads Senior Member
    edited November 16
    Haven’t read this thread yet, but to answer your question, @thumper1 , Stanford allows students to apply to a public universityEA while also applying to Stanford REA, so the student could simultaneously apply to Stanford REA and GT EA.
    edited November 16
    · Reply · Share
    And as long as they completed and submitted their GT application by Oct 15, they are fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • vanvalenvanvalen 38 replies6 threads Junior Member
    edited November 16
    Thanks all!

He did apply to GT EA, but a scholarship never crossed my mind since it is a reach school. I guess we will find out soon-ish--

Dartmouth vs Cornell is something interesting to consider. I sincerely doubt he'd ever join a fraternity, so a greek-dominated social life may not appeal. I think he is under the impression that Dartmouth has better skiing/riding (I know!)

I have suggested Mudd, but so far he does not seem too interested. Too small I guess.

Will be interesting to see where he lands. I feel like he has a chance to be accepted to any one of these schools, but also decent a chance to be rejected at almost all of them too. (Hoping at least ASU is a true safety).
    edited November 16
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75486 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    He has a 36 ACT and over 4.0 weighted GPA. @jym626 is GT really a reach for admissions....EA?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7817 replies65 threads Senior Member
    For an OOS applicant, yes GT is a reach.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1797 replies11 threads Senior Member
    vanvalen wrote: »

Will be interesting to see where he lands. I feel like he has a chance to be accepted to any one of these schools, but also decent a chance to be rejected at almost all of them too. (Hoping at least ASU is a true safety).

While it may happen, I would be very surprised if he wasn't accepted into at least a few.

Besides, he doesn't need more than one acceptance to a college which he really likes.
    · Reply · Share
    Last year GT took about 15% from OOS
    · Reply · Share
    This is a good read from the head of GT’s admissions http://pwp.gatech.edu/admission-blog/
    · Reply · Share
    edited November 17
    Why has he only taken 5 APs and Calc AB (and not BC)? If he is a strong student, he should take the strongest rigor offered at his school. How many AP’s does the HS offer?
    edited November 17
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10922 replies77 threads Senior Member
    I second the suggestion of Olin. It is very small but unique. On a par with MIT for selectivity, or it used to be.
    · Reply · Share
    How many total APs (including ones he is currently enrolled in) has he taken?
    · Reply · Share
    vanvalen wrote: »
    APs: APUSH 4, Bio 5, currently taking CalcAB, Statistics, Econ/Gov

jym626 wrote: »
    Why has he only taken 5 APs and Calc AB (and not BC)? If he is a strong student, he should take the strongest rigor offered at his school. How many AP’s does the HS offer?

Only on these forums is "only" 5 AP courses considered a less rigorous schedule... though the selection suggests that the student is less strong in humanities (English, foreign language, and art) than in other subjects (history, science, math, social studies).

It does depend on the context of the school (including middle school placement decisions in math and perhaps other subjects). For super-selective schools like Stanford that use a counselor recommendation, perhaps the important part of establishing this context is whether the counselor indicates that the student chose the "most demanding" courses and that his academic achievement is "one of the top few I've encountered (top 1%)".
    · Reply · Share