right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Who handled the Fin Aid forms, Parent or Child?

tdy123tdy123 866 replies16 threads Member
In our family, the parents took care of everything - college specific forms, FAFSA, CSS, outside merit scholarships, any required follow-ups, etc.

Curious to see how others handled this.
29 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Who handled the Fin Aid forms, Parent or Child?

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 13133 replies246 threads Senior Member
    I did most of the FAFSA/CSS legwork.

Kids did outside scholarship applications, dealing with college about applying them, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 1098 replies30 threads Senior Member
    I did the financials, FAFSA and CSS. Kids did pretty much everything else.
    · Reply · Share
  • jmnva06jmnva06 780 replies7 threads Member
    I did the financial aid forms. Kids did all non-financial ones
    · Reply · Share
  • pickpocketpickpocket 402 replies3 threads Member
    I always told my kids that their job was to do well on classwork; I would take care of all the financial stuff.
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 130 replies5 threads Junior Member
    DD is anxious about money, all the time not just about college, so DH and I compiled all paperwork and completed all forms. We did make her call the schools with any follow up questions we had, so we know she can deal with the department if there is an issue.
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2475 replies60 threads Senior Member
    edited November 22
    I (the parent) did all the financial aid stuff.
    edited November 22
    · Reply · Share
  • PrdMomto1PrdMomto1 213 replies5 threads Junior Member
    We handled financial stuff, she did everything else.
    · Reply · Share
  • kpopmomrunnerkpopmomrunner 27 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Both. I asked my sophomore son and freshman daughter to do their FAFSA. I did review everything before submitting. CSS profile my daughter did her senior year but I did it this year for her. I just think they need to know how to do it just in case I am not able to do it for some unforeseen reason.

· Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 473 replies1 threads Member
    We're with most other folks: we do financial aid forms and kids do everything else.

My DD that's wrapping up a semester early next month actually found additional scholarship $$ after freshman year, which I didn't think was possible. She's something of a marvel.
    · Reply · Share
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes 33393 replies767 threads Senior Member
    I (student) did it from my very first year. FAFSA and outside stuff. My parents just gave me their tax returns and it was much quicker and easier for me to do it.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 10924 replies77 threads Senior Member
    Parent did all the financial stuff except kids filled out applications for local scholarships.
    · Reply · Share
  • techmom99techmom99 3494 replies6 threads Senior Member
    When I was in college, I did all the financial aid stuff. With my kids in college, I still do all the FA stuff. The reasons are different. Once my father realized that I was not going to pursue the career path he plotted out for me, he essentially lost interest in my education. With my kids, I feel that my finances and money are my business.
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16061 replies200 threads Senior Member
    I think you're unlikely to find parents here who left it to their kids, but out in the non-CC world, that is much more common. I used to work in a support program for low-income, first-gen students, and almost all of them did the FAFSA themselves. Helping them through it was part of my job.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 1608 replies30 threads Senior Member
    D20 filled out everything she could and then I filled in the remaining sections related to gross income, etc.

She is pretty independent and proactive so we let her take control of the process and she lets us know when she needs any help.
    · Reply · Share
  • SammoJSammoJ 88 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I did FAFSA and CSS. If I had asked S19 to do it, he would simply have needed to ask me for all the numbers.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75496 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    edited November 23
    Our kids sat with us while we together completed the financial aid forms...both FAFSA and Profile. And yes, this means they saw our tax returns and assets.

We did this with them in undergrad school...and they were then easily able to do them for grad school themselves.

@tdy123 are you saying parents applied for outside scholarships? We had nothing to do with that except to proofread for spelling and grammar errors. Kids applied for,scholarships. Not parents.
    edited November 23
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 1002 replies12 threads Senior Member
    We did the student portion of the financial aid forms with our kids. It's a decent first (or early) experience in legal documents, with discussion about reading what you are signing, reading the questions carefully, and being careful to fill the forms in accurately.
    · Reply · Share
  • WWC4meWWC4me 208 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Parents did the FAFSA, CSS and financial aid forms in our house. I will say that over the years, we've discovered it goes much easier with wine. We each pour a generous glass. DH inputs data. I collect needed paperwork and proofread.
    · Reply · Share
  • HPuck35HPuck35 2019 replies15 threads Senior Member
    I (parent) did the financial forms. But I had both my son and daughter sit with me as I entered the data for their financial aid forms. I felt that it was important that they knew and understood the money side of attending college.
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 866 replies16 threads Member
    thumper1 wrote: »
    Our kids sat with us while we together completed the financial aid forms...both FAFSA and Profile. And yes, this means they saw our tax returns and assets.

We did this with them in undergrad school...and they were then easily able to do them for grad school themselves.

@tdy123 are you saying parents applied for outside scholarships? We had nothing to do with that except to proofread for spelling and grammar errors. Kids applied for,scholarships. Not parents.

No, son was awarded several competitive outside merit/prize type scholarships that he "won" such as it was, on his own. Two were disbursed through Scholarship America. SA seemed to have quite a bit of turnover in their employees with a new person coming in to take care of a particular program almost every year. Every time someone new came in, they would have issues sending out the next semester checks on time. I ended up being the one calling and emailing when checks didn't arrive on time.
    · Reply · Share