right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Syracuse students demand to be able to choose roommates by race

Emsmom1Emsmom1 1007 replies78 threads Senior Member
Have people been following what was going on at Syracuse with the hate crimes and subsequent demands of the protesters (sorry if there is already a thread on this)? What do people think about being allowed to choose your roommate by race?
http://dailyorange.com/2019/11/race-option-roommate-selection-step-backward/
60 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Syracuse students demand to be able to choose roommates by race

• TheBigChefTheBigChef 601 replies5 threads Member
    This seems wrong to me, and possibly illegal.
    · Reply · Share
  • allyphoeallyphoe 2464 replies59 threads Senior Member
    "How will racist white people become less racist without a non-white roommate to teach them about diversity" is not exactly a compelling argument. You can't have an environment where both wolves and sheep will feel comfortable.
    · Reply · Share
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 1007 replies78 threads Senior Member
    @allyphoe where is that quote from? I didn't see it in the article.
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 323 replies0 threads Member
    As much as I detest the idea, I don't see a case for it being illegal. I would love to hear other people's opinions on this.
    · Reply · Share
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 1007 replies78 threads Senior Member
    edited November 25
    I think you can legally choose a roommate by race (although if you're a landlord you cannot choose a tenant by race).
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 706 replies9 threads Member
    People self segregate all the time. I would guess a lot of kids wouldn’t do this, but wouldn’t stop the ones who want to make this choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 4164 replies89 threads Senior Member
    Are we talking about the school choosing roommates ie blind choice or random choice? Or are we taking about students not being able to choose their roommates?

I would think most schools would offer both as choices. It’s not clear based on that article if Syracuse offers both.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 8764 replies101 threads Senior Member
    Frats, sororities & theme houses are all examples of self segregation.

While self segregating by race, religion or ethnicity is not politically correct, it is reality.

Give kids time to adjust & to grow as all share the same facilities, dining halls, classes, teams & activities. If someone prefers to live with another of the same race or religion, then let them. But no one can or should be excluded from clubs, classes, activities or any facilities based on race, religion or ethnicity.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78992 replies701 threads Senior Member
    edited November 25
    Post #0 links to an opinion piece. That opinion piece links to an actual news article that may be more informative (regarding the protests and back story) than an opinion piece: http://ns60.dailyorange.com/2019/11/students-hold-sit-barnes-center/
    Long-Term Demands:

Agree to offer a “Same Race” option for roommate selection on the housing application for all students
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share
  • OhiBroOhiBro 353 replies6 threads Member
    I can understand and respect why a student may prefer to room with a specific race, but if I were a university administrator, I wouldn’t allow it. Basically telling students, it’s not a big enough deal to include on the housing application, and if you think otherwise, go somewhere else.
    · Reply · Share
  • NhatrangNhatrang 323 replies0 threads Member
    edited November 25
    Thanks @ucbalumnus , it's really good to have context. So in attempt to combat racism, the students demanded to have "Same Race" as an option for housing application. I have to think about this a bit.
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share
  • sensation723sensation723 562 replies1 threads Member
    I think they should allow it. The last thing I would want to do is room with a person who hates black people. For the majority of the year your for room is your home. Who wants to come home everyday to hate. I rather a racist have a choice than to be force and take it out on their roommate.
    · Reply · Share
  • OhiBroOhiBro 353 replies6 threads Member
    @sensation723
    The last thing I would want to do is room with a person who hates black people.

In this case, isn’t the demand for a “Same Race” option being made by a group of mostly black students?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34779 replies392 threads Senior Member
    edited November 25
    Sigh. Don't you hate it when headlines or soundbites mislead? And we get caught up?

https://www.syracuse.com/syracuse-university/2019/11/read-the-demands-made-by-syracuse-university-students-protesting-racist-incidents-campus-culture.html

Rather defensible, imo. Nicely done. Not all can be implemented but a far, far cry from some first semester freshman writing about race-based choice.
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1312 replies2 threads Senior Member
    We were told on our tour earlier this month that freshman are randomly assigned; there are no housing questions filled out, you just get an assigned roommate.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2349 replies58 threads Senior Member
    60 years ago the call was for government to remove barriers to integration in order to combat institutional racism. It is interesting how views have changed.
    · Reply · Share
  • sensation723sensation723 562 replies1 threads Member
    @OhiBro

It doesn't matter who is making the demand. The same thing in reverse. Would it be right to place a white student with a black student who thinks the white man is the devil. No one of any race should have to come home everyday to someone who hates them because of their race. Getting along with a new roommate is hard enough without adding a racist a-hole on top it.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78992 replies701 threads Senior Member
    edited November 25
    Publisher wrote: »
    Frats, sororities & theme houses are all examples of self segregation.

While self segregating by race, religion or ethnicity is not politically correct, it is reality.

While a preference for self segregation by race, etc. is common reality in many situations (and not just in college), that is not a reason to encourage or enable it. Note the fraternity issues with bigotry both in the past and more recently at Syracuse (apparently part of the back story of the protests).

But note that a white student getting a random roommate at Syracuse has a 57% chance of getting a same-race roommate, while a non-white student has a <10% chance of that. So that creates an asymmetric situation where racist white frosh are likely to get their preference, but racist non-white frosh are not. So the protesters may be asking for equalization of the ability to have one's racist preferences fulfilled. Yes, it sure looks like a race to the bottom...
    edited November 25
    · Reply · Share