right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Upcoming changes to the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

I need help from Sewing experts!

aunt beaaunt bea 9899 replies64 threads Senior Member
I’ve been making a number of crafts and crayon rolls to give out to some of my “low income” clients and their families. I’ve been making pillowcases with the “burrito style” method.
I was able to get some really inexpensive beautiful white fabric, that happens to have tiny glitter. During the sales this weekend I got it for $2 a yard thinking that I could use it as the contrasting opening panel.
It’s beautiful and the gal cutting the fabric thought that it was probably miss-marked. I washed it and stupidly realized, if they use it as a pillowcase, the glitter may enter their eyelids while they sleep! It’s white fabric and looks snowy so my idea was to use Scotchgard to set the fabric. I have 5 yards of this stuff, any ideas? (For quick projects as gifts.) The pillowcases would have looked beautiful! Help please! I need to start sewing since this is going to be a really quick month.
22 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I need help from Sewing experts!

• aunt beaaunt bea 9899 replies64 threads Senior Member
    edited December 3
    I am cutting out snowmen and could make stockings but a number of the families can’t or don’t celebrate Christmas, which is why I thought I would make something practical.
    edited December 3
    · Reply · Share
  • VeryHappyVeryHappy 18612 replies326 threads Senior Member
    I don't think you should use it as pillowcases. Maybe as display pillows?? You'd need to buy stuffing or pillow forms to do that, but at least then no one will get glitter in their eyes.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, thank you. I can make pillows. I do have stuffing.
    · Reply · Share
  • abasketabasket 19685 replies874 threads Senior Member
    Tote bags?
    · Reply · Share
    I think tote bags would be really cute!
    · Reply · Share
  • musicmom1215musicmom1215 2712 replies56 threads Senior Member
    aprons?
    · Reply · Share
  • TdoesCollegeTdoesCollege 130 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Draw string gift bags?
    · Reply · Share
  • 1214mom1214mom 4636 replies184 threads Senior Member
    I don’t have any suggestions, but what a kind gesture on your part.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23378 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Glitter cannot be controlled. Even after you wash it 100 times, there will be glitter coming off the fabric.

I like the apron or tote bag ideas.

Just to brag a little, today I scored two big pieces of Christmas cotton fabric, 8 yds each, at the thrift store for $6 each. Now I don't NEED 16 yards of Christmas fabric but I thought it was such a good deal I had to have it. I will probably make pillowcases from it too. I did about 30 of those 2 years ago out of Christmas prints.
    · Reply · Share
  • murray93murray93 181 replies21 threads Junior Member
    Gift bags are a great idea! I would like some for myself. Wrapping paper is such a waste. You might want to use some ribbon and encase it in stitching so the top can be cinched closed.
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 3
    I've ironed some of the fabric. Glitter is a mess!!! I think I will start some gift drawstring bags, and use the non-glitter current fabric I have, to make the pillowcases and insert them into the Gift bags (with lots of snowmen on the front). Someone at work mentioned wine bags, but a lot of these families don't "imbibe". Bummer!
    I may add zippered pouches.
    thank you for your suggestions!
    edited December 3
    · Reply · Share
  • bookreaderbookreader 1968 replies53 threads Senior Member
    I like the idea of using the glitter fabric for drawstring gift bags. That is super practical. I also like the idea of pillowcases (using different fabric) since that it also very practical.

Using the glitter fabric to make tote bags is a nice idea but I would think that the white fabric would get dirty quickly (since totes often end up on the floor). I have no idea how anyone would reuse a wine bag since they are a weird shape.

Happy sewing!!
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you @bookreader. I'm using the white, so far, to make snowmen that would go on the outside of the tote bags. (I have a Sissix die cutter pattern.
    · Reply · Share
  • oregon101oregon101 5540 replies136 threads Senior Member
    You could buy some netting/nylon/don't know my fabrics anymore. See through but the glitter would stay inside. Sew the panels together. Tulle? I like the tot bag idea a lot but still would try to contain the sparkles with a panel over it.
    · Reply · Share
    @oregon101 , I hadn't thought of that! The glitter is minuscule, so it might work with a see through nylon type of fabric. Guess I will have to head back to JoAnn's to see what they have.

I love the help from CC posters!!!
    · Reply · Share
    edited December 4
    To add a bit to the drawstring gift bag topic: I have a whole bunch of these, and do store them off-season. I’ve been reorganizing (more than) a bit, and have been putting stuff together to pass on to the kids. One category is holiday decorations, another is gift bags ( and shopping/produce bags, but that’s a whole other conversation). It dawned on me one day that if I put the decorations in the bags, I’ve solved two problems. And the bags are right there, ready to use once the decorations are up.

Related to this, I’m clearing out our decorations as well. We had sent a bunch of t-shirt fronts out to be made into quilts. This left us with a whole bunch of backs. I initially was going to use them to dust or wash cars; but it dawned on me that I could easily make some open top bags (no draw string, probably just serged across the top edge, square bottoms) from the pieces, and dispense with the bulky tissue paper they’ve been in, I’m also repurposing some tea cup storage boxes (divided) to store the most delicate ones. Add the T-shirt bags, and I’ve freed up a bunch of storage in two places, at least. Double win!

Just some random ideas that pop up ...YMMV
    edited December 4
    · Reply · Share
  • OnwardOnward 2918 replies80 threads Senior Member
    My sister in law made us all a bunch of gift bags (all sizes) as a Christmas gift years ago. They are wonderful. It's a snap to wrap with them. Some are tied with cording that has been sewed in while others are velcroed shut.
    · Reply · Share
    @Onward - I have to agree - I have some wrapping paper I need to use up, and when I do use it, I’m so thrilled to be almost done with the paper, scissors, tape,, etc. I just love being able to pull out my fabric bags, place the gifts inside, tie the ribbon, attaching the gift card and done! Wish I’d started doing this even sooner than I did.
    · Reply · Share
    Gift bags have started!
    Also, I have turned the fabric inside out and discovered that I like the "wrong" side better for some other projects.
    I will be making some tree skirts and giving these to my sisters from that fabric.
    I have also made some seam binding that looks really good on the crayon rolls.
    Your ideas are great!!
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75481 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    edited December 5
    I think cloth gift bags is a terrific idea...but not with glitter fabric. I got a couple of those a few years ago, and spent a lot of time getting the glitter off of my clothes, and my furniture. I tossed them after Christmas...just too big a mess. They were pretty...but...what a mess they created.
    edited December 5
    · Reply · Share