right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Did you make the Unpopular decision?

SarripSarrip 304 replies17 threads Member
Your child is an excellent student and has been accepted to Ivy or very selective colleges as well as safety and match schools. Have any of you ever made the "unpopular to some" decision of sending your child to a 'safety' school? Why did you do it and do you have any regrets? How did your child feel about this decision?
336 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did you make the Unpopular decision?

• SJ2727SJ2727 2168 replies7 threads Senior Member
    It seems most of the decisions above were made on finances. Curious to know if any were made on fit. (Although they would all have been reaches of course, my D scrapped the few original top 20 schools on her list because after visiting, because she didn’t like what (she perceived as) the hyper-competitive vibe on campus.)
    · Reply · Share
  • jmnva06jmnva06 800 replies7 threads Member
    D2 made this decision because higher ranked school would have required a 5th year to get certified as a teacher and the school she chose let her do it in 4.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2168 replies7 threads Senior Member
    Then (!!) she recently forwarded an email from the dream school acknowledging that she turned them down for UG, but since according to their records she is about to graduate, how about grad school?

Is this kind of thing common? How long do schools keep records of applicants who don’t matriculate?
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5860 replies1 threads Senior Member
    We mostly did this prior to sending in applications. The main issue was budget. We set a budget and insisted that they stick to it. The main casualties were highly ranked New England LACs which were not affordable for us.

One also turned down an higher ranked less expensive university (McGill) because she wanted to stay in the US and felt that a different school was a better fit.

Both ended up being very happy where they ended up and getting a great education. D1 is now very happy to have graduated with no debt.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 79717 replies712 threads Senior Member
    edited January 4
    Sarrip wrote: »
    Your child is an excellent student and has been accepted to Ivy or very selective colleges as well as safety and match schools. Have any of you ever made the "unpopular to some" decision of sending your child to a 'safety' school? Why did you do it and do you have any regrets? How did your child feel about this decision?

Are you or your kid choosing?

If you are choosing a different college from what your kid wants, is it due to cost?

If it is due to cost, did you inform your kid that the net price limit is $X before s/he applied, and that s/he needs the net price to be $X or lower to be able to attend?
    edited January 4
    · Reply · Share
  • SarripSarrip 304 replies17 threads Member
    SJ2727 wrote: »
    It seems most of the decisions above were made on finances. Curious to know if any were made on fit. (Although they would all have been reaches of course, my D scrapped the few original top 20 schools on her list because after visiting, because she didn’t like what (she perceived as) the hyper-competitive vibe on campus.)

@SJ2727 When I posed the post I specifically did not specify finances but know it is a real consideration. We visited all schools prior to application submission because we agreed not to apply to any school that DD is not willing to attend if accepted.

On another note finances can not always be a reason to omit a school that could be a good fit because you actually do not know what the possibilities could be in terms of scholarships and financial aid until you get the package. I originally did not have any Ivy's on DS09 list because I didn't think I could afford it. One of his teachers insisted that he apply and he was accepted, attended and graduated. Our payments, without any loans was manageable. You just never know.
    · Reply · Share