right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What is wrong with people?

Replies to: What is wrong with people?

• wis75wis75 14274 replies64 threads Senior Member
    Agree with above comments. Assigned seats in college??? Wow.

Addenda- can see assigned lab space but not for lecture or discussion.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3557 replies12 threads Senior Member
    I bet this prof, who specializes in business ethics, will be retiring soon. Not a good look for Ball State.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1984 replies27 threads Senior Member
    I've never heard of a college/university professor or instructor telling students where to sit. You just sit.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2406 replies97 threads Senior Member
    It was pretty much standard in my day for law schools to use assigned seating as part of the Socratic method, so after the last few years of my education having experienced that I didn’t even think about how unusual that is in undergrad. But good point!
    · Reply · Share
  • sylvan8798sylvan8798 6675 replies141 threads Senior Member
    suzyQ7 wrote: »
    Why is a professor at a UNIVERSITY telling students (purportedly adults) where to sit? Why would the police even respond to a call like this? Only in America.

I don't know what this professor's reasons were, but in one of my classes this semester (which starts next week, awk) I am dividing the class into small 3-person groups and want the groups to sit together. Since I am making the groups, it will more or less require me to tell them where to sit.
    · Reply · Share
  • CreeklandCreekland 5892 replies90 threads Senior Member
    I didn't assign seats in my current Pre-Calc (high level - heading to college) classes in high school. I didn't assign them when I was teaching Animal and Plant Science or plain ole Biology either. Ok, I've never assigned seats except for tests where it was required (PSAT/SAT/Keystones, etc).

If there had been a behavior problem, I'd have dealt with it. There never was.

Add me to those who are boggled about a college prof assigning seats.

Someone might want to tell him he can make a seating chart from where the kids sit and learn names that way. The vast majority will get a seat and stay there. If you notice someone changes, you figure out that creating them in pencil allows you to easily modify the chart.
    · Reply · Share
  • GKUnionGKUnion 359 replies11 threads Member
    Once you tell an adult to sit in the back of the classroom, and they comply, that should conclude the game of musical chairs.
    · Reply · Share
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 4042 replies57 threads Senior Member
    edited January 24
    My guess is, people don't call the police for stupid reasons in other countries, but that aside... When the professor called the police, he should have been asked what the issue was. A knifing? A fight? And the answer of "a student won't change seats when I tell him to", should have been referred to university administration.

Wouldn't the professor have been required by the school to call campus police first? Was this the real police? If so, he should be fired. We need our police force focused on real issues. Pathetic.
    edited January 24
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 80204 replies720 threads Senior Member
    edited January 24
    suzyQ7 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the professor have been required by the school to call campus police first? Was this the real police?

Ball State has a campus police department which is a real police department.

That does not mean that the call was a good use of police resources. But then police probably get lots of stupid calls for service.
    edited January 24
    · Reply · Share
  • conmamaconmama 4625 replies334 threads Senior Member
    Oh my, this is my son’s Alma Mater. He was a business major. I just sent him this article and asked if he knew this prof. I’ll let you know if he did.
    · Reply · Share
  • maya54maya54 2406 replies97 threads Senior Member
    edited January 25
    ‘When the professor called the police, he should have been asked what the issue was. A knifing? A fight? And the answer of "a student won't change seats when I tell him to", should have been referred to university administration.”

From what I read he said the student was creating “ a disturbance” and that he needed to get back to the class. The police come when called. Period. If you call 911 and say nothing they come. For many reasons that’s a good idea. And the police here did a good job dealing with the non-real problem. The university should and appears did discipline the prof for his horrible judgment in making the call.
    edited January 25
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 9604 replies121 threads Senior Member
    Can you imagine what might have happened if, in addition to remaining in the back row seat, this student wrote with his left hand ?
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 804 replies9 threads Member
    I agree this is weird. However, somehow blaming the police and then saying you don’t think people in “ other countries “ call police for stupid reasons is just strange.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23842 replies17 threads Senior Member
    A friend had an accommodation to use a computer in class. Only those with accommodations could use computers. The teacher required that those using computers sit in the front row.

This seems like it might have been a larger class, but maybe those using the computers had to sit in a certain area?

It does seem ridiculous to cause all this commotion during class time.
    · Reply · Share