right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

First Generation Question

Peachpie9Peachpie9 40 replies13 threads Junior Member
Ok, this is a long shot.. But would colleges consider a kid at all to be first generation when one parent did not graduate from college but the other parent did? Thx!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: First Generation Question

• thumper1thumper1 77194 replies3431 threads Senior Member
    Not usually.

· Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7594 threads Super Moderator
    edited February 25
    thumper1 wrote: »
    Not usually.

I'll go a step further and say no.

But the takeaway should really be: it is what it is. The application does not say "Check here if you are first gen." You list the parents education and colleges will process the info as they see fit.
    edited February 25
    · Reply · Share
  • Peachpie9Peachpie9 40 replies13 threads Junior Member
    I figured but always wondered this, thanks! Good point @skieurope. Thx!
    · Reply · Share
  • garlandgarland 16244 replies204 threads Senior Member
    To add, I worked for many years for a federal support program, one of whose eligibility requirements was being first gen college. And that was based on neither parent having a four year degree.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7594 threads Super Moderator
    edited February 26
    garland wrote: »
    To add, I worked for many years for a federal support program, one of whose eligibility requirements was being first gen college. And that was based on neither parent having a four year degree.

And some scholarships may have their own different definition as well, but the OP's question related to admissions.
    edited February 26
    · Reply · Share
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives 3212 replies44 threads Senior Member
    I also work for a federal support program, and the question is broader. Did either of the people who raised you graduate from a four year college? Step-parents, grandparents, etc. Doesn't matter, the benefit comes from being raised in a household where someone knew the ins and outs of the system.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10173 replies565 threads Senior Member
    And for those interested, if your parent got a degree outside the US, that doesn’t count as being first generation.
    · Reply · Share