right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Impact of Coronavirus on summer internships and jobs for new graduates

oldfortoldfort 23168 replies296 threads Senior Member
We are still early on combating this virus and many companies are still trying to figure out how to have their employees work remotely. I am wondering how many companies will cancel their summer internships or rescind their job offers in light of possible economic downturn.

D2 is a second year law student. She has received an email from her summer employer that they will need to be creative this summer. Her law school career center is calling for a town hall this Tue. D2's law school managed to place all of their graduates in 2008. I am hoping they could do the same next year for D2's class.

I thought I would start a new thread for support and information sharing.
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Impact of Coronavirus on summer internships and jobs for new graduates

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 9069 replies89 threads Senior Member
    My D's co-op is still on for this summer but so very many of her friends have had their internships cancelled. Aerospace engineering seems to have taken the biggest hit but her school has a program that pairs students with international internships and all of them have been cancelled. Very tough.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23168 replies296 threads Senior Member
    D2 was contacted by her summer employer that she should expect her sign on bonus in few weeks. At her school's town hall they were told no law firm is pulling back from their obligations. They may push their summer program to Jun-Aug, but they would still pay the full 10+ weeks. Of course this could all change if things were to get worse.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 5997 replies26 threads Senior Member
    So my son was offered an internship last week of all weeks after his 3 interviews. They have a signing bonus which I didn't know they do for internships. He signed whatever and sent it in Friday. Hope it still goes through....

My son said some students with finance firms were putting people on hold.

@oldfort. Thx for making this. I was going to post something similar.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23168 replies296 threads Senior Member
    edited March 24
    I am hearing a lot of rumors about firms putting students on hold. New graduates should also pay attention their offers. On the other hand, a lot of graduates may not want to come to NYC now.
    edited March 24
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9069 replies89 threads Senior Member
    My H's company is still a go with their summer interns/co-ops but just put a hold on hiring new FT positions that require travel.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 77051 replies3424 threads Senior Member
    I’m a little worried about my son in law...but then, his degree is in infectious diseases/ epidemiology which seems like it should be a good field right now! He graduates in July.
    · Reply · Share