right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

UNC Chapel Hill or CofC Full Ride?

justicebeaverjusticebeaver 23 replies4 threads Junior Member
Hi, I was accepted into UNC Chapel Hill out of state as an English major with possible major/minor in Advertising. I will have to take out 23k~ loans to attend. However, I was accepted into the College of Charleston with basically a full ride.

I haven't heard back from CofC's Honors College yet but, if I get in, should I consider it over UNC? I like UNC much more-- its English Department is stronger, and (not gonna lie) the added prestige is nice. I'm just scared of going into debt.

Please let me know which you think is the wiser decision. CofC isn't my favorite, but I thought I should get a different perspective:)
edited May 19
9 replies
Post edited by CCEdit_Suraj on
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: UNC Chapel Hill or CofC Full Ride?

• PublisherPublisher 11129 replies145 threads Senior Member
    Will you have to borrow $23,000 per year to attend UNC ? If so, then go to the College of Charleston.

If you will borrow $23,000 total over the course of 4 years, then chose the school which you prefer.

The "whys" are important.

Why is C of C not your favorite ?
    · Reply · Share
  • justicebeaverjusticebeaver 23 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @Publisher $23,000 will be over the course of three years (I'm transferring in as a sophomore).

CofC's not my favorite mainly because of the environment. I've heard it's more of a party school and I'd like a more academic/studious vibe. No one I've talked to in-state has had anything to say about its academics, only how great the student life is, which makes me kind of wary. Also, I'm trying to get out of South Carolina lol. I do think its campus is beautiful though, and I love how historic it is.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 27879 replies196 threads Senior Member
    English is a rather generic major offered everywhere. Your instate public is the best value.

· Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11129 replies145 threads Senior Member
    OP: $23,000 over 3 years is a reasonable debt burden. Just be sure to do everything within your ability to get on a less than 10 year repayment plan as soon as you start working fulltime after college.

The College of Charleston Honors College offers very good academics. But, since you are a South Carolina resident, a change of scenery to Chapel Hill might be a great opportunity to grow. Plus, UNC-Chapel Hill is respected throughout the country.
    · Reply · Share
  • justicebeaverjusticebeaver 23 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @Publisher Thank you, this was very helpful. I think I'll stick with UNC and take your advice on the repayment plan.
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 30579 replies194 threads Senior Member
    The standard federal loans are $5,500 freshman year, $6,500 sophomore year, $7,500 junior year, and $7,500 senior year. You are going to need someone to borrow the extra $1,500 or so for you to come up with a total debt of $23,000 for three years. I know it doesn't look like much, but start lining that money up now.
    · Reply · Share
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG 1019 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Or you could just get a job for the $1,500 or find ways to cut costs like living at a cheaper place, cooking yourself, renting text books, etc. You can always get a job and borrow less overall, too.
    · Reply · Share
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 2129 replies33 threads Senior Member
    UNC-Chapel Hill for an OOS student is a bargain at 23K and is a wonderful college and town.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43093 replies470 threads Senior Member
    I think UNC Chapel Hill worth it for an English major. It's a major where discussions, and thus peer quality, are crucial. In addition, UNC is very good for that specific major as well as for communication.
    No matter what: since you enter as a sophomore, look into the variety of seminars and courses available at both colleges. Can you tailor your major to your interests? Will you be able to take classes in history and comparative literature (two areas that'd be correlated courses). What about foreign language (also important if you study literature)?
    · Reply · Share