right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ak2018 is a rising junior at Virginia Tech having transferred from George Mason University. He'll answer any question, including about his studies abroad or his research at NASA. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Harvard Crimson: Three Renowned Harvard Anthropologists Face Allegations of Sexual Harassment

warblersrulewarblersrule 10235 replies176 threads Super Moderator
edited May 28 in Parents Forum
Unsurprising in the fields of anthropology and archaeology, where such issues are still rampant.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/5/29/harvard-anthropology-gender-issues/

An excerpt:
An internal department report compiled by a student committee last year documented how those disparities affected female students’ outcomes. Since 1990, female archaeology students have taken longer to complete their Ph.Ds, withdrawn at higher rates, published fewer articles by graduation, and undertaken a disproportionate workload as teaching fellows, according to a copy of the report obtained by The Crimson.

Anthropology is a tight-knit field, students in the department said, one where advisors can either open doors for young anthropologists or close them forever.

Because of that dynamic, women who were made uncomfortable by faculty in the department said they faced a persistent dilemma. Report, and risk their career aspirations in anthropology. Continue, and face greater obstacles than their male counterparts.

Several of those interviewed said hiring practices like the ones outlined in the 1986 study on the “hierarchy of prestige” remain at the root of the problems female students face in the Harvard Anthropology department, pointing particularly to a lack of female faculty. Just three of 21 tenured faculty who hold appointments in the department are female. Within its archaeology wing, there are no tenured female faculty. Across FAS’s social sciences division, 32 percent of tenured professors are women, according to a 2020 Harvard report.
edited May 28
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Harvard Crimson: Three Renowned Harvard Anthropologists Face Allegations of Sexual Harassment

• CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3691 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I’m struck by the ages of the 3 men: 68, 73, 75 and wonder how they couldn’t have been moved into retirement. One has diabetes and stage 4 prostate cancer.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11785 replies81 threads Senior Member
    I read the whole article. First and foremost, men need to stop. In the meantime, women need to resist and report regardless of effects on career. Longterm, that is the only way to progress.

I do think that increased attention to the issue of harassment will mean that female students have a harder time finding mentorship, and the idea of going out for dinner or drinks with a male mentor seems unlikely.

So either way, women lose out. Harrassment or avoidance of the appearance of harassment.

The real answer is more female faculty.
    · Reply · Share
  • ultimomultimom 253 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @compmom - So, you're asking women to take one for the team and report sexual harassment even if this means that she never gets an academic position in the field of her doctorate? Why not instead tip the scales in terms of hiring more women professors so women aren't beholden to me for mentoring? In my anthropology department there were 200 qualified applicants for a tenure track position and a state flagship university. There are plenty of qualified women to hire.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11785 replies81 threads Senior Member
    edited May 30
    I wrote "the real answer is more female faculty."

And yes, women need to resist and report. I am not speaking abstractly here (personal experience). The #MeToo movement helps.

edited May 30
    · Reply · Share
  • katliamomkatliamom 13973 replies170 threads Senior Member
    Unsurprising in the fields of anthropology and archaeology, where such issues are still rampant.

Interesting, I didn't realize these fields had a "reputation." Can you tell us a bit more?

· Reply · Share
  • TooOld4SchoolTooOld4School 3373 replies12 threads Senior Member
    It's Harvard. Do as we say and not as we do. These 3 should have been fired long ago.
    · Reply · Share