right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Podcast for College App

RonaldP66RonaldP66 44 replies25 threads Junior Member
This is a strange one. My daughter is going to be a guest on a Podcast soon. I think it will be about a 25-30 interview with her. Not sure until it posts. It's because she's developed a following on social media through her activities with ASL (posting videos to popular songs mostly). There's no pictures of her in a bathing suit, in front of a mirror, etc. We won't allow that. So my question is... is this something you would include in a college application. I know newspaper articles are accepted but in this day and age Podcasts are on the same level. I was wondering if a link to a Podcast is acceptable and helpful to admissions people. Thank you.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Podcast for College App

• LindagafLindagaf 10846 replies588 threads Super Moderator
    edited June 2
    Is it meaningful content? If so, I think it’s worth including.
    edited June 2
    · Reply · Share
  • JanieWalkerJanieWalker 673 replies19 threads Member
    My daughters have been on podcasts. D21 will definitely include those on her application. If it is a well-known podcast within your daughter's area of academics or extracurriculars, then I see it as akin to being in a regional/national magazine (depending on the popularity of the podcast). It can't help, and it helps demonstrate impact.

Congratulations to her!
    · Reply · Share
  • RonaldP66RonaldP66 44 replies25 threads Junior Member
    Did you mean "it can't hurt?"
    · Reply · Share
    RonaldP66 wrote: »
    Did you mean "it can't hurt?"

OOPS! Yes I did. Sorry about that. :)
    · Reply · Share
    I know admissions people go through thousands of applications and didn't know if sending a 25-30 minute audio link would be advantageous. It definitely would show more than what's on paper and maybe these days with schools not requiring ACT and SAT scores might tip the scales. The podcast comes out Tuesday so I'm not even sure how it turned out.
    · Reply · Share
    @RonaldP66 , I don't think the audio link needs to be included; they aren't going to listen to it. I mean just listing the credential, as you would a publication. Featured Guest on Podcast X, about <brief description>m date. That kind of thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • twinmama17twinmama17 40 replies5 threads Junior Member
    I would create a highlights reel 2 minutes (maximum). It is unlikely the entire interview would be listened to, however, a very short highlight reel might get a listen.

Like JanieWalker says...list as credential...featured guest on podcast, and then put a link to highlights reel and link to full interview.

Also, I would have her create a highlights reel of her social media videos--again, something very short.

· Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7377 replies34 threads Senior Member
    So it depends. Definitely list it as An EC activity. If she is applying to small Lacs they might listen to it. Large school they won't have the time. Nothing is lost by including the link.
    · Reply · Share
    All great advice. Thank you !
    · Reply · Share