right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Is it time for me to make a call or get involved somehow - short internship hours Covid?

toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1168 replies70 threads Senior Member
That is totally not my style but I have counseled my daughter and she has done all she can and she is simply not even getting a response from her school let alone assistance on potential solutions or work arounds.

So she had a secured internship at one of the Big 4 accounting firms. In its original form it exceeded the hours requirements for her major (Cyber Security) of 150. She goes to college in Ohio and we live outside Philly, so the internship is in Philly this summer. Because of Covid, the firm is still running the internships but in a different and abridged format AND they offered them all jobs at graduation which is FANTASTIC.

The rub is that the program is now only 80 hours so she is 70 hour short. She sent a message to Internship coordinator who basically said oh well things are starting to open us and half of the internship sites she knows of have continued foward. Ok well not that helpful. She was told to write to her academic advisor. So she did.

That was two weeks ago and she isn't even getting a response! She also followed up with a message on the advisors phone, still nothing. She is also a college athlete and so she had everything set up for summer and her next two semesters. (Well she did until Covid)

Is it time for me to make a phone call? Like I said, not my style at all but this is getting critical for her to graduate and be able to ACCEPT the job at the Big 4 firm. She already approached the recruiter but she was hesitant to give her an exception she could not give to everyone on hours.

I really feel like both the lack of flexibility and the lack of response especially given the environment currently with Covid is pretty unreasonable.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is it time for me to make a call or get involved somehow - short internship hours Covid?

• TS0104TS0104 1403 replies31 threads Senior Member
    I would not step in as a parent, yet (if ever). I would see if your D can find other resources at the school to escalate too. Who does the advisor report to? Can she contact her school's dean, or another mentor within the school? I think I would have her just keep trying people at the school until she gets some assistance.

Especially since your D is a senior and this is about her internship and future employment, my opinion is that this is hers to figure out. I understand that it is a hard and stressful situation for you both, and the threat of her not graduating is scary. And it is bad that her advisor isn't calling her back. But IMO your D still has things to try, and it's not your place, and very soon, she really won't have the option of you stepping in.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10131 replies118 threads Senior Member
    I agree that this is your daughter's to escalate. Is there a department head for her major? I'd start there.

If that doesn't work, go to the dean.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24756 replies20 threads Senior Member
    Perhaps she could suggest something else? An internship at the college in the fall? Ask at the current internship if there is a special project she could work on during the summer and remotely in the fall? Talk to the other kids and find out what they are doing? Ask if there is an internship available over winter break?

If the employer knows she needs the extra 70 hours, they might have a suggestion. Even if they can find her 20 more hours, that would help her chip away at the requirement.
    · Reply · Share
  • oldfortoldfort 23464 replies308 threads Senior Member
    I have stepped in for my kids when they were in college. Sometimes adults ignore young people. I have seen cases when my kids couldn't get a response and I could. This is a fairly serious situation. If this is not resolved, OP's daughter may not be able to graduate, which is ridiculous.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1168 replies70 threads Senior Member
    oldfort wrote: »
    I have stepped in for my kids when they were in college. Sometimes adults ignore young people. I have seen cases when my kids couldn't get a response and I could. This is a fairly serious situation. If this is not resolved, OP's daughter may not be able to graduate, which is ridiculous.

That is the thing -- she has tried several different avenues and chains of command (it is not a big school) and I am really pretty aggravated she is just being ignored. She did in her correspondence say she was trying to figure out something else and even asked if it was possible to do something for the dean etc. during the fall semester (which is light for her) to make up these hours.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 10131 replies118 threads Senior Member
    So glad to hear the good news!
    · Reply · Share
  • TS0104TS0104 1403 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the update! Very glad that your daughter got some resolution, and bonus that they are addressing it on a wider scope.
    · Reply · Share
  • toomanyteenstoomanyteens 1168 replies70 threads Senior Member
    TS0104 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the update! Very glad that your daughter got some resolution, and bonus that they are addressing it on a wider scope.

Yes - that makes so much more sense given the current environment - unprecedented times!
    · Reply · Share