right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

AP Exams and Ivies

User372623User372623 3 replies3 threads New Member
I just got a 4 in the AP subject I plan to major in in college (French.) Will the Ivies (specifically, Yale and Brown) hold it against me if I didn't get a 5 in my potential major?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: AP Exams and Ivies

• izrk02izrk02 Forum Champion American U. 1126 replies54 threads Forum Champion
    No.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 41060 replies7709 threads Super Moderator
    No
    · Reply · Share
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU 14518 replies106 threads Forum Champion
    An AP score of 4 is essentially a B.

But Fret not...colleges are much more concerned about your grades in those classes as opposed to the AP tests.

Why is that?
    1) Doing well in a class shows you can learn over the year and work hard over a period of time. That is what they want in college.
    2) Not all HS have many APs.
    3) Many people take AP tests senior year which is too late for admissions

For example, Stanford says:
    Students currently enrolled in AP courses are not required to submit AP scores as part of our admission process. AP scores that are reported are acknowledged but rarely play a significant role in the evaluation of an application. Grades earned over the course of a term, or a year, and evaluations from instructors who can comment on classroom engagement provide us with the most detailed insight into a student's readiness for the academic rigors of Stanford.
    http://admission.stanford.edu/basics/selection/prepare.html

Let me state clearly: we do not admit students solely because of their AP courses/scores. There is no minimum or recommended number of AP courses. AP scores are not part of an admission formula.... What we are saying is that, despite what you may have heard, college admissions isn’t a game of whoever has the most APs, wins.
    https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entry/on_aps_1/

· Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2447 replies39 threads Senior Member
    bopper wrote: »
    An AP score of 4 is essentially a B.
    5 Extremely well qualified A+ or A
    4 Very well qualified A-, B+ or B
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11870 replies82 threads Senior Member
    No
    · Reply · Share