right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Committing to a different college

ReviewCollegeReviewCollege 4 replies1 threads New Member
My kids college has not updated or sent any information on what is going with the school and everytime we talk to someone or send an email, their answers are all fluffy. They keep promising they are sending info, but the last 3 weeks, nothing. I'm thinking of sending her to one of the other accepted school because that school has a detailed safety COVID plan for the fall. Anyone else? I feel the 1st college is not upholding their end of the bargain and I feel bad if register her in another school.
9 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Committing to a different college

  • chmcnmchmcnm 777 replies6 threads Member
    I think a lot of parents are in the same boat. I think a lot of schools are waiting until the last moment. No guarantee the outcome will be different between the two schools. Covid determines the timeline.

    Maybe tell us the school to see if anyone has any insight?

    Maybe contact the 1st college and tell them you're kid is going elsewhere unless they give specific details but be prepared to follow through.

    Can your kid take a gap semester or gap year?

    What does your kid think?

    We pulled a "parents choice" with our S20. One of his top choices wasn't within a day's drive. Taken off the list this spring when Covid hit. It's OK.

    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2720 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Are you holding places at two colleges? Haven’t decision deadlines passed everywhere?
    · Reply · Share
  • ReviewCollegeReviewCollege 4 replies1 threads New Member
    Thank you for your comment. My kid really wants to go to this school, this was her #2 choice as she had to say no to her #1 because #2 gave more money. But, as parents, I think we will be ok whatever the school's decision is. Thats the problem, they have not made up thier mind. All the other schools that my kid got in, made a decision (popular or not). Did the "parents choice" college made a decision early? Our "parents choice" college was not on my kids top 5...but its still a great school.

    There is really no right or wrong decision for colleges, just want them to commit at something so we can make an informed decision.
    · Reply · Share
  • ReviewCollegeReviewCollege 4 replies1 threads New Member
    No. Only one. We are in the process of calling the other college. A friends neighbor (their kid was going to Florida) called up the school and they told him to re-apply and was going to inform them in a few days. I thought maybe to start the process again and see what happens. One school we found Drexel was taking applications in for Spring 2021.
    · Reply · Share
  • compmomcompmom 11870 replies82 threads Senior Member
    I actually have some respect for schools that aren't definite yet. There is still a lot of uncertainty. I would not change plans and say no to the school he is intending to attend, as yet.

    There are many factors to schools' decisions. Some of the schools that are still waiting have safety concerns that need to be balanced with the potential for very negative financial consequences, particularly smaller schools without large endowments. There are also liability concerns either way.

    Room and board are important revenue for these schools. At the same time, mitigating COVID takes a lot of time and money.

    They should be able to tell you, however, when they are making a decision and answers should be informative, not "fluffy."
    · Reply · Share
  • boudersbouders 2722 replies188 threads Senior Member
    Have they published any plans at all? If they haven't, I'd be contacting the dean and let them know that without some communication about plans, you will be withdrawing your student.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 3039 replies5 threads Senior Member
    "I actually have some respect for schools that aren't definite yet. There is still a lot of uncertainty. "

    You need some plan though at least to have something to start with, of course things will change.


    "There are many factors to schools' decisions. Some of the schools that are still waiting have safety concerns that need to be balanced with the potential for very negative financial consequences, particularly smaller schools without large endowments."

    Negative financial consequences would be big red flag, I would probably enroll elsewhere if given the opporutunity.
    · Reply · Share
  • CamasiteCamasite 217 replies9 threads Junior Member
    edited July 19
    Honestly, just because a school happens to have published a Covid safety plan in July doesn't necessarily mean anything for September as who really knows what particular local and state regulations will be in place then and what stage the pandemic will be in at whatever location and state the school is in. I expect every single one of these plans is subject to change.

    That said, smaller wealthier schools in more secluded rural areas are probably going to be better bets than large commuter schools in big cities. But who really knows.

    My guess is that small insular liberal arts colleges that have more ability to control their environments will be the safest places to be compared to giant urban flagship universities that have thousands of students spread across the city.
    edited July 19
    · Reply · Share
  • user4321user4321 207 replies2 threads Junior Member
    My kids college has not updated or sent any information on what is going with the school and everytime we talk to someone or send an email, their answers are all fluffy. They keep promising they are sending info, but the last 3 weeks, nothing. I'm thinking of sending her to one of the other accepted school because that school has a detailed safety COVID plan for the fall. Anyone else? I feel the 1st college is not upholding their end of the bargain and I feel bad if register her in another school.

    @ReviewCollege my situation is similar to yours but in our case my son's chosen school has released a plan followed by a modified plan, followed by another modified plan with things getting worse each time. We are filing for a gap year today while we investigate bailing out completely and reaching out to other schools where he was accepted. Unfortunately, the second choice that we originally passed on is even more unacceptable than his chosen so we are calling schools to ask about applying now. Keep us updated with your saga.
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity