right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Helping Your African American Student with the College Admissions Process

CC AdminCC Admin Administrator 29512 replies3011 threads Senior Member
edited July 20 in Parents Forum
This discussion was created from comments split from: Obsessive Parents: What are the reasons parents obsess over the college admissions process?.

Did other parents of color have similar experiences or concerns in helping their child with the college process? Feel free to comment.
edited July 20
41 replies
Post edited by CCadmin_Sorin on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Helping Your African American Student with the College Admissions Process

• LindagafLindagaf 11003 replies593 threads Super Moderator
  • EconPopEconPop 649 replies11 threads Member
    edited July 21
    sybbie719 wrote: »
    I have been on CC a long time. Apologizing in advance for the long post

...long very fantastic post...
    :smiley::smiley::smiley:
    edited July 21
    · Reply · Share
  • stellaa9xstellaa9x 1 replies0 threads New Member
    A lot of good ideas, I learned a lot ^^
    · Reply · Share
  • KinestheticKTKinestheticKT 54 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Wow! @Profsd I feel like we are kin. Having spent a great deal of time and energy for my DD’s educational pursuits, I have paused at times as I want them to at least match my enthusiasm. Yet I’ve learned the process can be a bit overwhelming for them.

I have run into a similar concern that the PWI’s with a lower percentage of African American females and students period, are the schools that match what my daughter wants in a school but not necessarily the fit.

When I see a PWI that touts 100% graduation rate for black females, has a active frat & Sorority environment but none for Black students, it begs so many questions. For one what message are you sending? But two something is going on that is still enriching these students to excel.

So I am torn from a cultural fit perspective that leans more towards research institutions vs LAC’s that are great but don’t necessarily have a platform for the voice of black students.

I really would love to see what others have come up with in their research and what has been learned.

· Reply · Share
  • crimsonmom2019crimsonmom2019 242 replies1 threads Junior Member
    The social part as noted upthread is so important, certainly more than I originally thought. I'm thankful others before me pulled my coattail on the import of researching those social factors. Dating options (AA numbers by gender), AA fraternities and sororities, athletic team makeup if they plan to be a student athlete, close proximity of other universities for example became part of my spreadsheet as well as the academic and monetary fit. It was a LOT of work for sure but, IMO, required to get to the best decision possible.
    · Reply · Share
    @gablesdad For your questions:

a) Yes! There is indeed a Hispanic subcategory under Specialty Admissions (along with the AfAm one, Athletic Recruits and others).

b) I know at least two. I'm not sure if we are allowed to post the names of them here so please feel free to message me. (I would do a search for fly-in programs which are a great tool colleges use for minority recruitment/outreach. More than a few T50 colleges have them, Wash U, Rice, Williams, Amherst and others...).

· Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83929 replies745 threads Senior Member
    gablesdad wrote: »
    a) was there a thread also for Latinx students?

There is a forum section:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/hispanic-students/

Note: similar to:
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/african-american-students/
    · Reply · Share
  • gablesdadgablesdad 33 replies7 threads Junior Member
    @crimsommom2019 Thanks so much. I can't figure out how to PM from my Android phone. The mail function only says inbox empty and no message option shows up when I click on your name. Could you please PM me?
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfSDProfSD 249 replies2 threads Junior Member
    edited July 25
    @gablesdad Just sent you a message with a link for information on fly-in programs. It's very comprehensive. We used it when D20 was looking at colleges last year.
    edited July 25
    · Reply · Share
    @gablesdad Just sent you a message with two college advisors.
    · Reply · Share