right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

SAT / ACT

mod614mod614 13 replies2 threads Junior Member
What is perceived to be better for admissions purposes.

1500 SAT - one sitting - 770 M, 730 E

34 ACT - superscore two seatings - 35M, 35E, 34W, 30 Science

At DD's top school, the 34 ACT superscore places her right at the 75th percentile. While the SAT 1500 places her right below the 75th percentile, but I think the one sitting on the SAT might look better.
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SAT / ACT

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 34151 replies4942 threads Super Moderator
    Does the top school superscore the ACT? Not all do.
    · Reply · Share
  • mod614mod614 13 replies2 threads Junior Member
    Erin's Dad wrote: »
    Does the top school superscore the ACT? Not all do.

Yes they do.
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1678 replies8 threads Senior Member
    While the top school superscores, do they want all ACT's submitted? Also was there an improving trend or down trend from T1 to T2?
    · Reply · Share
    edited July 30
    BKSquared wrote: »
    While the top school superscores, do they want all ACT's submitted? Also was there an improving trend or down trend from T1 to T2?

That's a good question,

ACT 1 was 35, 35, 34, 29

ACT 2 was 34, 34, 33, 30 I think (no access to website right now)

So there was a slight downward trend on the second one but so minimal.

With the ACT, don't you need to send both test dates on separate reports, and the school does the superscoring? I don't believe the ACT sends one "superscored" report.

She doesn't like the ACT test, even though I think she did slightly better on the ACT. The second time, she took it to improve her Science section score.

She wants to take the SAT again. They were all taken mid 11th grade and she thinks she can improve the SAT score.
    edited July 30
    · Reply · Share
    If she is at the 75th percentile already, is retaking the SAT the best use of her time? Are merit scholarships the reason?
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2492 replies42 threads Senior Member
    The official concordance maps a 1500 to 34. Specifically the 2nd of 4 that map to 34, so about a rounded 33.75.

Your ACT superscore is a 33.5 rounded to 34. They are pretty equivalent, but the SAT is marginally better, especially as it’s one siting.

https://www.act.org/content/dam/act/unsecured/documents/ACT-SAT-Concordance-Tables.pdf

Sounds like taking the SAT again makes sense, over another shot at the ACT.
    · Reply · Share
    BKSquared wrote: »
    If she is at the 75th percentile already, is retaking the SAT the best use of her time? Are merit scholarships the reason?

Yes, she is hoping for merit aid. Her first choice school is very selective, her SAT score places her right under the 75th percentile, I believe their 75th % is around 1520.

I was wondering which one to report, or report both? I'm curious if the ACT looks less impressive due to being in two sittings.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 24217 replies2431 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 30
    Honestly I don't think it matters...you can always report both and let the admission officer decide which to use.

The exception would be if applying as a science major I probably would just send the SAT since the ACT science subscore is lower than the rest of your scores.
    edited July 30
    Post edited by happy1 on
    · Reply · Share
    A 34 concords to a 1500 (1490-1520) looking at the ACT site https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/scores/act-sat-concordance.html. If you were to submit 1 score, I'd probably choose the SAT. If merit is involved, it may be worth taking the SAT 1 more time.
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you all! I appreciate your insight on this.
    · Reply · Share